Weathering 30k Thousand Sons

What are some good methods for high contrast weathering on 30k metallic Thousand Sons? I tried sponging on some gold over the metallic red but it doesn't quite look right to me. How are other people doing it? I don't want bright clean edge highlights but I do want to draw attention to detail. Any information appreciated, especially examples!

I just drybrush/rough edge highlight mine with silver, seems to work ok....

I'll dig out some pics (although it never shows up well on camera and yes, I know these are Primaris, but I paint them the same way as my heresy Sons):

37733779455_babe1c5461_c.jpg

50955196588_89b9fc483e_z.jpg

Edited by Tichinde

Well, that's great.  I thought it would look weird to have silver weathering with gold trim but that looks awesome.  Thanks!

I use: Retributor, Reikland Flesh wash, then Liberator before the final silver highlight, you can get away with the silver straight onto the Retributor but the Liberator gold helps soften/blend it a bit.

I tried adding some silver chips without painting over the gold and I think that adds a sense of depth that I like. The legs turned out badly but it's only my second or third time trying this so I'm sure I'll improve. This was all just sponging so maybe adding some brushing will help.

gallery_92812_17447_1052035.jpg

For troops I will likely stick with just silver, but the silver over gold looks good on larger models

I'd suggest using a darker colour for your initial weathering either with a very dark grey (Eshin or Mechanicus) or dark metallic (Leadbelcher or Iron Warriors) and then follow up with your lighter silver chips.

For your mass infantry you can do both with stippling just doing it more gently and closer to the edges with the lighter colour and the look will be right.

For characters and vehicles you can do the light silver with a brush and apply it to the lower edge of some of the stippled chips of darker colourwith just a thin line of the dark colour beneath them and then they'll really stand out.

The principles in this video all apply, it's just colour choices that will change 

Rik

What are some good methods for high contrast weathering on 30k metallic Thousand Sons? I tried sponging on some gold over the metallic red but it doesn't quite look right to me. How are other people doing it? I don't want bright clean edge highlights but I do want to draw attention to detail. Any information appreciated, especially examples!

If you go with a metallic base you weather the Metalls before aplying your transparent color.

Do some sponge chipping with black and gold over the silver before your Red.

And you can add some Blue / Green oil colors.

What do you fraters use to seal the metallic? I haven't had the best luck in the past with gloss coats so I'm not sure what a good brand is. But satin isn't cutting it

I find the Tamiya clear to be enough on its own (after 3 other layers of paint!) I'll sometimes use 'ardcoat on the transfers to seal them though.

I just drybrush/rough edge highlight mine with silver, seems to work ok....

I'll dig out some pics (although it never shows up well on camera and yes, I know these are Primaris, but I paint them the same way as my heresy Sons):

37733779455_babe1c5461_c.jpg

50955196588_89b9fc483e_z.jpg

These are beautiful, I am in total awe!

Yeah I am increasingly curious how you do your whole scheme, Tichinde, it's phenomenal.

Well you are in luck as I did an extensive tutorial a few years back and I still occasionally post things in my wip thread in the Forge. I still have a heap of heresy and Primaris to get round to when I'm not painting other things.....

Tutorial:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336154-heresy-thousand-sons-metallic-no-air-brush-required/

Wip:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/331505-tichs-prospero-project-warmaster-and-wardogs-4th-may-22/