[DW] The Desolation of Innocence (RPG OOC Thread)

Mazer Rackham

MG raises an excellent point about Oath-taking!

Philemon is a Devastator, so Oath of the Astartes (+2 Cohesion) and Oath of the Weapon (Ignore Jams and reroll WS tests to confirm Righteous Fury) are our options if he leads.

(I think our GM said all Squad Modes were available, so that doesn't influence the decision?)

My thoughts: As mentioned previously, I know with Philemon leading we get 11 Cohesion to start and I believe Tro said his kit adds +2 to that? Plus my Rally Cry (EB 'Inspiring Rhetoric') Squad Defensive Mode can get us 4 more back when needed, so we're in quite a solid place there? But of course, more is always good! :biggrin:

On the other hand, the last thing you want when a Genestealer is charging towards you is your Stormbolter jamming! And although rerolling WS tests to confirm RF is irrelevant if we face Xenos (due to Deathwatch Training already auto-confirming), it could be useful if we come up against traitors/renegades/mutants? So I think there are pros and cons either way…

Hmm… having said that, it seems most people either don't have any ranged weapons at all, or have Master-crafted ones which won't Jam? And as mentioned we don't need to reroll RF tests against xenos

So based on that I think maybe we'd get more use out of Oath of the Astartes for +2 Cohesion (giving us a whopping total of 15!)

Thoughts?

Edited by Lysimachus

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

But of course, more is always good! :biggrin:

In the business, this is called: Foreshadowing.

On the  Oaths  (I mean Squad Modes) thing, I just threw together what you were all used to. If you want to play to a stricter ruleset, as The Emperor intended, I can run that, no worries.  It will of course curb-stomp what you have access to, and make your tactical decisions tougher, but you guys like Dark Souls, right?

Right?

I'll still allow OHBD and access to Chapter Specifics although strictly as per Forging the Bond (GM award).

If you want the benefits of Oaths, you'll have to make some compromises...

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Ooh, interesting! :tongue:

So we only get the Squad Modes from the Oath and from our Chapters?

Looking at the options, I think I'd still go with Oath of the Astartes. While only a few characters have bolt weapons, the extra Charge Move of Bolter Assault is useful to everyone? Squad Advance isn't terrible or great. Tactical Spacing might actually be good in TDA as we can't Dodge anyway, so being able to share Parries with those who need them is quite helpful?

Honestly though, it's a struggle to see any of the other options as more useful than Lead By Example? +8 on every single Test, plus 1 reroll every Round, is hard to beat?

11 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

So we only get the Squad Modes from the Oath and from our Chapters?

Yes.

I will also be piloting my completely untested "Threat-o-meter" which will scale up your encounters based on a D10 roll, plus a plethora of factors which will modify it.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

There is also the ultramarine specific 'oath of duty' from First Founding.

No bonuses at all, but four patterns: Fire for Effect, Squad Advance, Regroup, Tactical Spacing.

Three of them are reaction based - trade for shooting, trade for movement, and share reactions.

Though 'Fire for Effect' is also errata-worthy in its sheer potential power.

@Machine God considering they are frangible components, it oddly makes a lot of sense to me that a Techmarine or Tech-Priest would carry around a bag of replacement gaskets or seals, particularly if Imperial technology (particularly in the realm of fasteners and replaceable parts) is heavily streamlined and standardized, beyond even the level that NASA operates on. 

Questions?:

1) How can a Boarding Torpedo be Flimsy?

They're designed to impact impact into ships and then use the force of the impact together with melta's and drills to discharge the Space Marine payload.

2) If Boarding Torpedoes are flimsy, we are in TDA and none of us are Space Wolves. Why didn't we Teleport across?

22 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Questions?:

1) How can a Boarding Torpedo be Flimsy?

They're designed to impact impact into ships and then use the force of the impact together with melta's and drills to discharge the Space Marine payload.

2) If Boarding Torpedoes are flimsy, we are in TDA and none of us are Space Wolves. Why didn't we Teleport across?

1) It's flimsier than a Strike Cruiser and can die horribly to interceptor fire.  The number of times I've punked them in Battlefleet Gothic using Eldar Fighters, Fury Interceptors, Bombardment Cannons, Thunderhawks, other torpedoes...I've changed the word to 'vulnerable'.

2) If you want to risk teleporting into a space hulk, I can arrange this, if you would prefer?

20 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

Ah, bureaucracy! 

Out of curiosity, is Sophis joining us on our trip over to the hulk, or, if not, is he still in vox range? 

Sophis is currently restricted to Hecate's Bane.  Should the situation develop, he may end up coming across on your picnic.

You'll have to send a psychic message to reach him.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

22 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

As a point of order, I believe we all skipped right over the requisition stage. Unless, of course our intrepid GM intended for us to individually requisition our gear, in which case please disregard. 

And, @Lysimachus, please allow me to make a quick post of my own first. 

Technically yes and no.

AFAIK you boys are all tooled up from your conversations with me.  If this is not the case, and I have either misunderstood or missed something, feel free to post here whatever you would like within your budget and Renown.  It can be handled in a flashback or throwaway couple of sentences in the narrative, no worries.

1 hour ago, Necronaut said:

And, @Lysimachus, please allow me to make a quick post of my own first. 

:censored: sorry mate, I missed this. If you want I can cut my post out and paste it back in after whatever you wanted to add?

Edited by Lysimachus

And we're pausing there for the weekend.

If anyone wants to drop any IC posts about the dark shudders, the mechanicum, the pole stuck up Sophis' arse, the terrible gnashing and rending of teeth and TDA plate, please do so in your usual genteel manner. :happy:

Lads, just a quickie - if you still have Hypnogogic Induction on your chargen sheet, please change this to 'Forging the Bond', as per our discussions above.  I'll be changing the "campaign rules" (Advanced Training) segment in the Roster thread shortly.

You might also be getting reinforcements...

Hello! Questions: is Philemon considered to have the required Pilot skill for the torpedo, and is it affected by the Ag penalty for TDA?

(At Ag46 it looks manageable, at Ag31 I'm concerned, and if either of those is halved for untrained I'm worried... :unsure::biggrin:)

Edited by Lysimachus

And can Arcturion provide assistance? (And why didn't we all grab Pilot (Personal) at 100xp per the errata?!)

And not to spoil the fun, but I thought these things were servitor-driven. 

Edited by Necronaut