New to Tau - some questions please.....

Glute

I'm just getting into building a Tau army and was reviewing the codex and have some questions.

1. Is the Aun'Va model still available?  I can't find it on GW website.  Nor did I find a model on eBay.  Are there good substitute models from 3rd party vendors? 

2. Kroot Carnivore models seem to be in short supply.  Are there 3rd party options for them?

I like Crisis Suits and will be focusing on them in my list.   Will probably have 3 squads of 5.  

I'm up in the air as to whether or not to take Broadsides or Riptides.  Leaning towards Broadsides.

For HQ I'm entertaining Aun'Va because of the buffs but I like Shadowsun alsol

Thanks

So I have just started playing tau and I will give you my thoughts

1) if you really want aun’va just get a standard ethereal and find 2 random bodyguards guards for him, possibly even convert from things like gaunts ghosts models. However I have found characters are eating up a lot of points and you generally want the 3 main WLT’s (precision, and both examplars) and a standard ethereal with the stave and 2 drones is just as good.

2) lots of 3rd party stuff out their, look at Etsy, but would probably just hold off a bit until they are back in stock

3) remember rule of 3. So you could run 3 units of crisis suites then 2 units of bodyguards. Personally I have found a unit of 5 with 2 units of 3 to be the best. Also 100% magnetise them. Best way is 3x1mm magnets on the suites and 2x1mm on the weapons. It’s super easy to do and will save you lots of time and money in the future.

4) Broadsides suck now. The loss of core means they are just terrible at everything. The riptide should actually be terrible on paper but seems to actually perform very well. He is also a massive pain to kill.

5) Shaddow sun is an amazing HQ. Generally you take her in a supreme command then a crisis commander as a HQ.

I do also have another question if someone could answer it.

If I have exemplar of Kayon on a crisis commander, and I put him in deepstrike, can I use his WLT to then redeploy 3 other units? I suspect I can’t but not 100% on this

Usually the ability will say if the model has to be on the field to work. In this case that is not something in the trait so as long as you selected the Kauyon philosophy you can redeploy the 3 units using the WLT. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another question, is there something that says what an average hunter cadre would look like, similar to a space marine company? Or is it just whatever is on hand/needed at that point in time?