2K HH2.0 World Eaters Drop Pod Assault

TompiQ

With HH2.0 around the corner, I've been toying around with lists based on the leaked rules. As such this is of course not guaranteed to remain fully legal, and I am in fact relying on the assumption that the Dreadclaws are actually intended to retain the Assault Vehicle rule (which they don't have in the 3.0 playtest rules, but that's pretty much what they're about right?). Should that omission remain, I would have to rethink. Onto the list:

Faction: World Eaters

Rite of War: Drop Pod Assault

HQ (1/3)

• Legion Centurion 105pts
    • Base 60pts
    • Primus Medicae 45pts
    • Chain Axe 0pts

ELITES (2/4) 660pts

• Contemptor Dreadnought 330pts
    • Base 175pts
    • Gravis Chainfist 10pts
    • 2 Built-in Meltaguns 30pts
    • Dedicated Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115pts
  • Contemptor Dreadnought 330pts
    • Base 175pts
    • Gravis Chainfist 10pts
    • 2 Built-in Meltaguns 30pts
    • Dedicated Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115pts

TROOPS (3/6) pts pts 550

• Legion Despoiler Squad 170pts
    • 17 Marines 170pts
    • Chain Axes 0pts
  • Legion Tactical Squad 188pts
    • 10 Marines 100pts
    • 9 Chain Bayonets 18pts
    • Legion Vexilla 10pts
    • Sergeant: Artificer, Fist 25pts
    • Dedicated Drop Pod 35pts
  • Legion Tactical Squad 188pts
    • 10 Marines 100pts
    • 9 Chain Bayonets 18pts
    • Legion Vexilla 10pts
    • Sergeant: Artificer, Fist 25pts
    • Dedicated Drop Pod 35pts

FAST ATTACK (0/3) 0pts

HEAVY SUPPORT (1/3) 235pts

• Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw 235pts

FORTIFICATIONS (0/1)

PRIMARCH (1/1) 450pts

• Primarch Angron, 450pts

TOTAL: 1996pts

Angron, Despoilers, Medicae goes in the Kharybdis.

The new Drop Pod Assault rules means everything arrives turn one. A first pod is placed and a scatter is rolled, and the Inertial Guidance System rule halving it to a maximum of 6". All remaining pods are then placed within 24" of this without scattering, albeit with a 1/36 (D6 roll of 1, re-rollable due to everything having IGS) chance of them being placed by the opponent rather than me. Anything in an assault vehicle (So Angron+Crew and the Contemptors, assumption holding true) gets to charge the same turn they drop in, after eventual interceptor reactions.

The game plan is thus to drop the 'noughts and Angron&Co right in the enemy's face and let carnage ensue, meanwhile the tactical squads hunkers down on objectives to get a 5+++ FNP and provide some chipping fire support. I feel the list would struggle versus a mechanized Rhino list as it doesn't have many tools to blow up metal bawhkses outside a charge, but the thought of having Angron in assault turn one makes me giddy.

Expanding the list to 2.5-3k would thus probably have me add support squads with meltas or similar. Another option I'm toying with is running a Chaplain over a Medicae, since Angron already supplies FNP(6+), but I'm unsure as of now.

Edited by TompiQ

Wait, so orbital assault isnt anything like what it was? Wow, that will take some rework. Everything has to drop turn 1? Ugg. 

They took away OA Deepstrike for terminators? How else are they going to get there? 

How can you get Deep Strike for terminators?

Is there no more restrictions on super heavies or primarchs in sub-2k because together thats more than 25% of your force.

Did they do away with a RoW requiring an HQ to have Master of War or does Angron count for that?

As to the list, not a WE player, nor do I know the new rules for any of the legions very well so take this with a grain of salt. You seem very short on models. I know Angron is a beat stick and who doesnt love a basketball sized drop pod, but two really large units in 2k as opposed to more boots?

I am no tactics expert but I just want to say I also wondered about Angron at 2k. Apart from that, all drop pod armies are very cool and fit the fluff. Contemptor arriving on his own by drop pod when everyone else already had boots on the ground is immersion-breaking for me. Lots of chain blades and 37 power armour dudes will look great on the tabletop. My only suggestion - is it necessary to have the sergeants and the Dreadnoughts as direct clones? It’s nicer for the story to have them as slight individuals.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems fine, Dreadnoughts are so good this edition they should be able to handle your AT at this points value with this Rite of Wat. I’d suggest considering a squad of Rampagers as a line of expansion for this list. They’re very good in this edition as the Falax Blades give them A5 on the charge and Rending 4+ make them a threat against everything.