Orks in Mid-2022: Balance and Points updates

toaae

We're getting a new Chapter Approved mission pack, we've gotten updated points and balance changes, and I wanna know how you all feel about our green lads now.

For myself, I'm still really down on this codex, but these are solid improvements that should make the faction relatively more fun. A army-wide invulnerable save is great, as it should help units maneuver into position not just for attacking the enemy, but also completing objectives. The extra strength during WAAAGH! is welcome, though I don't know that it really changes a whole lot. Beast Snagga Boyz in Goff armies get to S7, which is hilarious, but the lack of AP and being damage 1 means I don't think they're going to suddenly turn into vehicle poppers (but maybe I'm wrong).

I still plan to build and paint a different army as fast as I can manage and stop playing this book, but until then, I'm happy to get some kind of improvements.

The points changes to boyz are helpful, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no morale mechanic you can rely on to rock the big blob of lads; shame, given that you with the 5++ built into Waagh now, it's very "Old-KFF-esque".  Longing for the ol' fun, but not exactly amazing, tide of lads.

So, sadly not a lot of love for green tide still, but the points and 5++ at least make running around with swarms of 10 mans more doable. I'm glad that 1pt for AP-1 choppas per boy has been refunded, given 90% of the armies I face just outright ignore it anyway, haha.

I've had a good run with Orkz so far in 9th, but with how much of the fun they've stripped out of the army over the years with things like removing looted wagons, killing most of the bonkers, fun strategems in the new book, and the shoe-horning away from green tide I still feel "pigeon-holed" and nobody wants that. Also, with these new CP changes, Tellyporta is a MUCH bigger risk-cost ask than before where it was always my one way to really protect a Mega-dread from being immediately reduced to slag by something in turn two.

Doom and gloom aside, I think my usual style these days of as many damn 10 mans as I can cram into a list with trukks, wagonz, Meganobz, some gun unit, a warboss, a weirdboy, and a plane will continue to do alright. Points gains should let me get in another squad of boyz or so.

I don't think these changes will help orks much at the competitive level. I play mostly crusade and casual games though, and I've been having a blast before these changes, so I'm looking forward to them. Of course, I also run a pair of vehicle heavy lists, one is lots of Dreads and Kanz, the other is using the speedfreak army of renown for lots of bikes and buggies. 

• 1 month later...

Has the balance dataslate made a KFF more worthwhile? Since Waagh is usually being called in T2, it seems like it's more beneficial now to take a KFF and burn the CP to make it a 5++ for T1, then T2 the Waagh 5++ takes over. That's at least 2/3 of the game with upgraded survivability and get the business done before the buffs go away.

Stupid question time.
Anyone know if Army Builder has been updated for the current wave of new changes? I haven updated in months, haven't given it any thought at all. 
No sure how much if any of these changes I even need to worry about for a casual game with strangers. 

5 hours ago, Warhead01 said:

Stupid question time.
Anyone know if Army Builder has been updated for the current wave of new changes? I haven updated in months, haven't given it any thought at all. 
No sure how much if any of these changes I even need to worry about for a casual game with strangers. 

Unfortunately, I haven't used Army Builder in years, nay, editions.

Battlescribe is up to date.