Varnish help

Hi guys. I’m painting my way through an army a unit a month. I’m varnishing as I go and the majority of the Colour is a very glossy red. I initially used army painter matte spray varnish, which dulled down the armor significantly. I’ve recently switched to the few semi gloss spray varnish, which I like the finish of much better as the armory retains some lustre. I tried respraying the matte finished models with this but didn’t make much difference. Now some models have one finish and others a different finish making the army a bit disjointed. Any suggestions to try and unify them most welcomed. 

I too have had this issue. Mine was down to my own stupidity though and picking up the wrong can.

I have had some success using washes, although I think that the matte varnish dulls the paint to much to recover any of the shine. Unfortunately I think it is too late for my squad of Vertus Praetors and they are doomed to be dull. Annoying as it took me three weeks to finish four of them! :(

I made the same mistake with some Sisters of Silence, but managed to recover the armour and skin tones using washes and thinned down coats of paint. Not sure this will work for everything, but it's worth a go.

Solidarity brother, I feel your pain!

Most varnish matting effect is at the surface; it literally makes it a little bumpy so it scatters light differently to a reflective surface. Adding satin varnish (which is itself somewhat bumpy, though less so) over the top will still inherit some of that non-reflective effect from the layer below.

I've had moderate success in the past reversing a matt effect with two or three thin coats of gloss varnish. (let it dry between layers). This should fill in the bumps to flat again and restore a shiny effect to the model, and THEN applying the satin varnish will mute that down while keeping some of the lustre. It likely won't be entirely identical to the others - it does still have several more layers of varnish on it - but it should be a much closer looking effect than satin/semi-gloss over matt directly.

Edited by Arkhanist

15 hours ago, phandaal said:

Liquitex Gloss varnish is great stuff. Dries very thin and brings out the colors underneath it nicely. You can then hit it with the satin varnish. Recommend doing paint on for both so you can control the thickness.

Thanks for the tip. Is it the high gloss or just gloss that you use? Thanks. 

7 hours ago, jimbo1701 said:

Thanks for the tip. Is it the high gloss or just gloss that you use? Thanks. 

Liquitex Professional Gloss varnish. Whole model, base and all. Then hit it with Satin over top. Only thing to watch out for is pooling in the varnish, just do not put too much on at once and you will be fine.

Also hit the top of the base (i.e. the "ground") with Matte to make it look dry.

The name is "Liquitex Professional Gloss/Satin/Matte Varnish." The one you are looking for has an orange label, not a purple or green one. You could find it on Amazon or probably most hobby stores.

I tend to seal everything with Halfords Satin lacquer. This is a very reliable and durable coat that gives a slight sheen which is good for armour and metallics. If I want a flat finish, I let this dry thoroughly and then go over the top with Testors Dullcote. Spray on a dry day and you get a perfect flat finish every time.