Against my will, I have succumbed to the Heresy.

Brothers. It has happened - I have invested into 30k

The peer pressure and hype were simply too much and I could not resist the pull.

I think in the end what ultimately swayed me was having a brief read through the Liber Astartes and the 2nd edition Horus Heresy rulebooks.

I was overcome by nostalgia at the prospect of challenging heroic characters to duels on the tabletop, disgorching large squads of Legion Terminators from a tracked behemoth, and playing missions that didn't require a notepad in order to track primary and secondary objectives. I am feeling very fatigued with 40k 9th edition at the moment, even though my greater hobby passion has not diminished. 

I wanted to focus on a new Legion, one that wasn't yellow. I was initially drawn to the Sons of Horus, the Salamanders and the Dark Angels. Unfortunately all 3 were represented in my local scene, as were the Imperial Fists, World Eaters and Raven Guard. In the end I settled for a Legion that everyone is familiar with, but isn't as well represented in this particular game - The Ultramarines. 

Two things drew me to them as I was reading the book. I liked their unique Legion ability as it rewards smart play and positioning, and I really liked the fact that they don't have a significant number of unique units or characters. As this is a new project, I wanted to grow the army as quickly and cheaply as possible.

I have invested in the new Age of Darkness boxset, the Kratos tank, as well as some FW HQs to add a bit of additional flavour. I am now waiting on the next Heavy Weapons upgrade kit to be released, and am pondering the purchase of a Primarch. I was very surprised to see the cost of these characters, and in my memories they weren't as expensive as they are now.

Still, this is not a time to complain about cost. This is a time to be excited about this fresh start. The Heresy is a passion project for many, and I'm happy to invest in something that could bring happiness in the long run to both myself and my opponents. I think I'll submit a few potential army lists for review on this forum, as I'm very rusty in regards to the 7th edition rules.

For the Emperor!

Welcome to the Age of Darkness! 

Know no Fear turned Heresy Ultramirines into something special for me. Until then they were just the cliche "vanilla" Marines but now I really enjoy their Heresy spin.

Primarchs are expensive. No argument. And they have definitely been creeping up in price, especially if you live outside the UK and are paying GW exchange rates, not real-world exchange rates. To keep the costs down a smidge you could always sub the plastic GW Guilliman. It's not perfect but it's close and I would certainly understand someone using that version.

13 minutes ago, bushman101 said:

Welcome aboard!

HH is great if you like the old school style 40k.

Ultras seem neat. Very playable out of the box

Yes, honestly it was one of the main reasons I chose the Legion. It feels like I can use every unit in the starter box, and I can add to the army with more plastic kits and avoid most resin units.

The Invectarus Suzerains have definitely caught my eye, however.

33 minutes ago, Blitzjager said:

Welcome to the 13th, Brother. When I started in HH, Know no Fear had just came out and no one else was playing them.    The Fellblade was my first big unit  after some Veteran Tacticals and dreadnoughts.   The Fireraptor is the latest. 

fellblade.1.jpg

fireraptor.1.jpg

Fair play those ultras look amazing

20 hours ago, Blitzjager said:

Welcome to the 13th, Brother. When I started in HH, Know no Fear had just came out and no one else was playing them.    The Fellblade was my first big unit  after some Veteran Tacticals and dreadnoughts.   The Fireraptor is the latest. 

fellblade.1.jpg

fireraptor.1.jpg

I enjoy the kill marks on the Fire Raptor.

19 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

What is the common view on using a regular 40k Rhino for games in the Horua Heresy?

I know the book does mention other patterns. I have an old unpainted kit I can work on.

Mars-Pattern Rhinos are very much active during the Heresy, and entirely valid to use. Lots of people like using the Deimos because it's got a unique Heresy feel and was likely more widespread.

I would shave down any skulls or excessive aquila icons on the mars-pattern, and it should be fine.

Welcome to the Heresy! There are a lot of bits that come with kits that I feel many never use because they’re perfect for Ultramarines - so you may have plenty of crests within your modelling future. Enjoy! 

On 6/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, Orange Knight said:

What is the common view on using a regular 40k Rhino for games in the Horua Heresy?

I know the book does mention other patterns. I have an old unpainted kit I can work on.

Welcome to Heresy! Ultramarines are quite cool, one of my friends plays the XIIIth legion and they're fun to see on the table.

I've built and painted a few Mars pattern Rhinos, I think they're perfectly fine. I used some extra bolters from the MK III kit to convert up some twin linked bolters for the rhino, but you might also be able to scrounge up some extra bits from the pintle sprue to do it if you pick up some other vehicles. I had a good time making modifications to it to make them look a little more heresy, but you'd be fine without doing that.