Fury of the Ancients

Hi all.

Got my big box on release day, so have put together 20 of the Marines (all Bolters with Chainblade) as my Core . I used some 3rd Party Iron Warriors Pads/Heads to make them stand out a bit more.

Looking through the Rites of War, I am really fascinated by the Fury of the Ancients one. I love Dreadnoughts, so am interested in putting together a list that contains 2*3 (Compulsory Troops) and another unit of 3 to march forward with my Dreadnought Warlord.

(Think I might have to invest in the Forgeworld IW Contemptor, to make it stand out)

Then a couple of Leviathans when the plastic goodness is released.

Quick questions really:

- Am I an absolute mentalist for wanting to do a list like this?

- How boring do you think people would find it to play against?

Dreadnoughts are very powerful in the edition and are FotA is likely going to be the low-bar power gamer RoW of choice until people figure out how to better shut down large numbers of them. I can see it raising a few heckles, even if that's not your reason for using it. 

As Black Briar said it in his video on the subject, dont look at making any friends if you show up to a friendly game with this list, especially if you go full on dread making a good chunk of everyone else's army useless. What would be fun to see would be two FOTA lists going at each other. I can see this one getting banned pretty quickly especially in for fun narrative campaigns.

I am planning to expand my Wolves with a FotA, this Rite is nuts! Edit: Just for the giggles, of course xD

Being able to field 6 Scoring contemptors is just insane, especially if you combine it with LA like Iron Hands or Sonns of Horus, where you lower the strength of incomming Attacks and therefore just ignore stuff like Bolters or Str. 4 AP 2 Weapons like Legatine Axes, depending on the LA, of course =]

Edited by MichaelCarmine

6 hours ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Hmmm, thanks guys.

I'm not a win-at-all-costs type of player, so may think again.

I think 3-6 dreads is reasonable to play with and against with that detachment. It really only gets gamey at 9-12 dreads.

As long as you feel like people would have fun playing against it, and you don't feel bad about taking it against balanced lists it is fine.