Rules for walls and Mhara Gals

bristlybadger

I cannot seem to find anything in the rules that stops a vehicle from passing through literally any wall that is not impassable. Seems like an odd omission, since it has quite an impact to the game in general. Anyway, many players seem happy to just go with good old "ruin walls stops vehicles" - fair enough!

Now then - the Mhara Gal dreadnought.. used to be able to pass through walls, says old internet posts from a decade ago. With the current rules, it has Pathfinder to autopass dangerous terrain tests, and Move through cover to ignore difficult terrain penalties.

...should it be able to walk through walls, though?

Discuss! :) 

Sure, but when it comes down to a unit that only one side runs, that USED to be able to pass through walls, and currently RAW it can (same as all vehicles), but once we've agreed to use walls as walls... "also would you mind giving me this specific bonus to my killer dreadnoughts?"... feelsbad.

6 hours ago, bristlybadger said:

I cannot seem to find anything in the rules that stops a vehicle from passing through literally any wall that is not impassable.

What kind of wall that is not impassable exists in terms of terrain though? I guess we are talking about either ruins or the constituent parts of a building. The former its kind of fine to be able to pass through, they latter require you to embark. 

4 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

What kind of wall that is not impassable exists in terms of terrain though? I guess we are talking about either ruins or the constituent parts of a building. The former its kind of fine to be able to pass through, they latter require you to embark. 

It's more that there just isn't any mention of how to really treat any walls at all, except for buildings, and with L-shaped ruins being probably the most common GW terrain piece, seems like an odd omission.

That's a good point though, never really thought about using buildings, I guess it's time to, and maybe to make all ruin walls passable - could be interesting to put a lot more ruins than normal on the field to block LoS but allow passage.. 

14 hours ago, bristlybadger said:

...seems like an odd omission.

It's not really that strange to be honest... If you look at the world around you, how many walls are there that you would consider truly impassable, even with basic climbing equipment, moreover, how many walls you would consider impassable if you were a Space Marine with the equipment they have available to them?

Now consider you are inside a 12ft high, atomic engine, servo-powered battle suit like a dreadnought... :D 

10 minutes ago, Stitch5000 said:

It's not really that strange to be honest... If you look at the world around you, how many walls are there that you would consider truly impassable, even with basic climbing equipment, moreover, how many walls you would consider impassable if you were a Space Marine with the equipment they have available to them?

Now consider you are inside a 12ft high, atomic engine, servo-powered battle suit like a dreadnought... :D 

Fair enough, but if me and my buddy where to then drive our tanks through all the walls of my local pub, I'd not expect it to still remain upright... ;)

This is kind of funny, because this is such a big disconnect. 9th flatly has better terrain rules, including ruins being mostly impassable.

But melting through ruins walls has been a thing for the entirety of 30k, and goes back to at least 4th. So a lot of people just don't think anything of it if they haven't engaged with 8th-9th much. 

I'd always personally recommend playing ruins walls as impassable and preventing tanks from driving vertically. It makes the game a lot more tactical, and makes stuff like jump packs and skimmers have more value.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 2 weeks later...