I got an A.I. (Abominable Intelligence) to make Warhammer art

N1SB

Summary - What at 1st was just an exercise with toying with new A.I. apps turned out to be a pretty good tool for brainstorming Warhammer projects.

Without B&C (during its upgrade downtime) preventing me from going astray, I dabbled in tech heresy, like toying with Abominable Intelligences such as CrAIyon.  The way it works is you type in a text prompt, it searches online for inspiration (backend is Google's neural network TPU thingy), like I would type "Magnus the Red" and CrAIyon would draw this:

2000848127_magnusthered.thumb.png.ceaee547cd35e280a53b010cc14c39fe.png

I am reminded of a Horus Heresy novel that described Magnus the Red as a bronze pagan god (as compared to iirc Lorgar, who was like a classical god carved from marble).  I saw this and thought this would be how he would appear in the Warp to Daemons or something, like some kind of psychic footprint.  With that in mind, I asked it to draw the Emperor, beloved by all:

1055662082_godemperorofmankind.thumb.png.f09f6ccffc940ac0cee0a38b6add48aa.png

CrAIyon even managed to include his flaming yet cold sword.  CrAIyon's devs mentioned it hasn't learned to draw faces, so the following is particularly disturbing:

1545400630_masterofmankind.thumb.png.9eed43aac49ffef5954a766de4bc1d7d.png

This was almost a face, the Emperor...beloved by all...as an ancient bearded figure, like Odin from Norse mythology.  I remember how the Space Wolves referred to him as All-Father.  I also thought of how Odin himself was bound to the tree, Yggdrasil, which is a great source of power and pain, and I thought of the Emperor (beloved by all) bound to the Golden Throne.

CrAIyon also had an interesting interpretation of Mortarion, it's got this weird interpretation akin to some Castlevania/Dark Souls game, but I didn't export it correctly (thus it's just a thumbnail):

mortarion.png.57271befef37dcc7673679ed63ce15bc.png

Then I decided to mess with CrAIyon's a bit and told him to do things like drawing Magnus the Red eating spaghetti...which it actually did a really good job at:

653518672_magnustheredspaghetti.thumb.png.34437c035ac83ba4fcf76b83cd1b7da9.png

With the new Chaos Space Marines Codex coming out and all those Possessed being centre stage, this CrAIyon web app might prove to be a really good source of inspiration for conversions.  I also lament that CrAIyon will probably never know how delicious spaghetti is.  But seriously, there is some Blanchitsu going on here.  I wonder if this is how Men of Iron see the world.

(I like this more streamlined way to add images to posts, thanks to B&C's upgrade.  Took me a second to understand how to use it, but this is definitely more convenient, thanks.)

Edited by N1SB

I thought I'd try and see how it'd handle the famous Adrian Smith picture.

The original:

5ju01yed5it51.png

The prompt: horus lupercal standing over sanguinius body facing the emperor of mankind

the best result:

image.png.026cd999dee3f9a8db6ac98ced8427ec.png

(the only one where it didn't have a figure standing alone, with wings!) 

So um, marks for effort? I like that it got the eye of horus in there somewhere, even it's creepily on his fist. Sanguinius seems to have ended up in a few more pieces than is traditional.

Edited by Arkhanist

Well I dont have to do pictures for the next demo I record, this is already better than anything I can think of or produce myself. That Magnus eating Spagbol is damn creepy.

Time to see what it does with Power Puff Girls fighting Tyranids. 

++EDIT++

Not that interesting really, the Power Puff Girls just look a bit disfigured facially and not a Tyranid in sight. Gutted. 

Ahh well, this will amuse me for the rest of the night at least. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

EDIT: forget all that I just got a much better result with something unexpected:

craiyon_2022-6-28_20-47-5.png

I actually really like this, even if it's more than a little surreal and horrific.

Edited by Ace Debonair
total revamp, much funnier picture

11 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I went for "Adeptus Mechanicus tech priest" because a) I'm a little obsessed and b) Not having a discernible face probably won't matter that much.

Brother, this is a great idea.  These paintings are like how a Machine Spirit sees the Techpriest tending to it.  I might try to make a new portrait with this idea.

:Elite::Elite::Elite::Elite::Elite:

Just to test if CrAIyon understands the dark satire of Warhammer, I told it to paint "there are no wolves on Fenris":

craiyon_2022-6-29_7-57-32.thumb.png.28681c309b59131aed2f5c3b85f8979f.png

...except, of course, for the wolves.  I think this proves it, CrAIyon is already sentient.  Btw, in case you're wondering about that white haired figure, there's a character in the video game Dragon Age II named Fenris that looks more or less like that.

I really want to start a Men of Iron army now.  I stopped caring about Squats already and want Men of Iron.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Arkhanist said:

I thought I'd try and see how it'd handle the famous Adrian Smith picture.

The original:

5ju01yed5it51.png

The prompt: horus lupercal standing over sanguinius body facing the emperor of mankind

the best result:

image.png.026cd999dee3f9a8db6ac98ced8427ec.png

(the only one where it didn't have a figure standing alone, with wings!) 

So um, marks for effort? I like that it got the eye of horus in there somewhere, even it's creepily on his fist. Sanguinius seems to have ended up in a few more pieces than is traditional.

This is amazing and actually looks like some of the art in the old realms of chaos books/old school chaos models. 

Well, Slaanesh is well known as the bucolic god of pastoral scenes.

I'm trying to think what it could have taken that to mean - obviously it didn't do a Google search. Maybe there's some rural town in...the Netherlands? with a similar name.

15 hours ago, N1SB said:

Btw, in case you're wondering about that white haired figure, there's a character in the video game Dragon Age II named Fenris that looks more or less like that.

Ahh yes, Mr Edgy moody knife ears... 

1 hour ago, Toxichobbit said:

Spelling Slaanesh right makes a huge difference. The results are much closer to what you'd expect. 

God yeah, the fact it cant do faces makes them even better. 

1 hour ago, Toxichobbit said:

Spelling Slaanesh right makes a huge difference. The results are much closer to what you'd expect. 

God yeah, the fact it cant do faces makes them even better. 

craiyon_2022-6-30_21-14-53.png

On 6/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, N1SB said:

I am reminded of a Horus Heresy novel that described Magnus the Red as a bronze pagan god (as compared to iirc Lorgar, who was like a classical god carved from marble).  I saw this and thought this would be how he would appear in the Warp to Daemons or something, like some kind of psychic footprint.  With that in mind, I asked it to draw the Emperor, beloved by all:

Classical gods aren't pagan somehow? Silly Black Library writers. Most Roman marbles are copies of Greek bronzes. Classical is an actual art style and pagan is a very broad term so I have no idea what that description is supposed to mean.

Faces are easy to draw with simple rules so if the programers dropped their machine learning obsession down a notch they could probably fix that.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

2 hours ago, Ace Debonair said:

Seems like half the trick is very, very precise wording. :ermm:

Just like coding, Brother!  Clearly you have communed with this particular Machine Spirit.  I followed your lead, here's the Before and After:

craiyon_2022-6-30_20-17-11.thumb.png.6934838650d5499579394a20a0942454.png

Before, not paying proper attention to coding

craiyon_2022-7-1_18-59-11.thumb.png.96769ec637b875af4cbaf725140a01f0.png

After, adding "photorealistic" and "high definition"

All that said, my favourite of the lot was this one:

craiyon_2022-6-30_20-17-28.thumb.png.e3c336b327488b256dcf569f177d7b60.png

Kinda want to convert this guy now.

Shame it cant convert the image into a 3d file for printing, I have had some really weird results for Possessed looking stuff, very Realms of Chaos looking, this AI kicked me right in the nostalgias. 

2 hours ago, N1SB said:

Just like coding, Brother!  Clearly you have communed with this particular Machine Spirit. 

My brother works in Tech support is a devout and humble servant of the Omnissiah, it was his enlightened idea to try being ultra specific, although he wasn't testing it on forum-relevant stuff. :sweat:

It's a lot of fun to mess with though.  Adding "4K resolution" also cranks up the detail a bit on stuff that isn't faces.

Although asking it to draw bolterandchainsword.com just gave me a bunch of medieval swords, so who knows what it was thinking there.:laugh:

EDIT: Slave to Darkness: If I ever get a Great Unclean One, I'll be tempted to make it a skateboard now. :laugh: 

Edited by Ace Debonair
Edited for great (unclean one) justice

I absolutely adore this programme! Glad to see it here.

Here's a few of my personal favourites.

Ecclesiarchal car (the popemobile!)

jDsTHjJ.png

Inquisitorial car (not very subtle given they're supposed to operate secretively but oh well!)

QHrDs6R.png

Speaking of Inquisitors, let's hope this one isn't in over her head!

f7kwzlB.png

This thing is amazing at making Dreadnoughts.

26D81aI.png

Stelff Battlewagon! Dem humies'll nevah see it komin'!

uKSI0nv.png

And finally, it's also really good at making action figures, and here it made a cooler Primaris Dreadnought than the actual Primaris Dreadnought!

c7ajCnm.png