Sniper scouts worth a look again?

XeonDragon

So, it appears that scouts can take a sniper rifle for free now. So, even though they take up elite spots and would still come in at 70 points for a squad of 5 (only 5 less than eliminators). I was thinking they might be worth looking at as cheaper screening units? For 140 points, a single squad that you combat squad can screen out like incursors, but will hurt less when they die if you go second, as they cost less :)

I was thinking of having a play around with a squad of 10, combat squad it, then use it and some squads of eliminators to basically screen out the mid-board cheaply whilst also posing a threat to characters. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by XeonDragon

6 hours ago, Jaipii said:

I was looking into them just before the Nephilim Command Point changes came viral. Incursors and Infiltrators are so much more survivable and they fill out a Battalion detachment. If only they were troops for Raven Guard :/

Preach brother, preach! Either that or some rule about no more scout units than other troops in a detachment, i.e. you can take 1 scout unit and 1 incursor unit in a patrol, in a battalion 1 scout and 2 other troop units etc...  

Edited by XeonDragon

I had not caught that change for scouts, that's interesting. I could see the value of a single scout squad with sniper rifles and combi-melta on the sergeant so you can unlock a Landspeeder Storm too. Set the bar very low for the scouts and sometimes you can be happily surprised with their performance I guess...