Chaos daemons, can we work now as an army?

Ulfast

Almost every army in the game has got a new 9:ed codex (except us and fellow poor Imperial guards). We now see what GW wants for a type of game and what strenght several armies has and weakness too. But we are still a 8:ed army. In tournamnet we have had some success (mostly with one build; Belakor with 3-4 KoS).

So my question is, can we function as an army and win fights? In tournamnet propably not but what about regual games? I´m thinking to pick up my old daemon army (mostly Tzeentch daemons) and it seems right now that it will be a struggle to win and game with them, specially without the CP to start with (everything will go to exalted two LoC and give one the relic). No deep striking flamers any longer... What do you think? Worth trying or wait for codex?

Short answer : no.

Tournament play is frequented by enough players with a good enough understanding of the game that it is unlikely to be able to make  up  the "power" difference by elements you can control.

Your best shot is either a tournament with an unusual stipulation or catching players who aren't expecting to play a tier Z army off guard.

That doesn't mean you should throw the army out the bus, you don't need to win tournaments to have fun.  

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Chaos Daemons don't have a new Codex by the next time a chapter approved or 10th Edition is released, whichever is first. A lot of people equated no points update in the most recent battlezone as meaning "Chaos Daemons are next". While this seems logical it's in-congruent with what we typically see from GW when the are due to release a Codex. GW does tend to "put-off/forget about" codex's from time-to-time. Dark Eldar and Sisters are two examples from memory. 

My speculation is there is a lack of communication/direction internally and one part of the game team expect a new codex to be released, however other forces prevent that happening.

I play Nurgle and had, before the recent 9th ed Chaos Knights Codex, used the twin autocannon Wardogs for a bit of extra fire support.

Currently, I think to make a Daemon army "work", it'd be a few units of Nurglings for cheap Objective holders or tarpit, a Daemon HQ of choice, then lots of Chaos Knights kitted for melee.  I say "work" in quotation marks because it is, in effect, really just a Chaos Knights army with some Daemons, rather than an actual Daemon army.

For example, one of Nurgle's best units are Beasts of Nurgle, but now I'd rather replace them with those melee Wardogs i.e. one of the reasons to play Nurgle is outdone by the new Chaos Knights Codex.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you guys said, with just an extra thing for Nurgle specifically from personal experience: Nurgle's resilience seems obsolete this edition just due to how lethal everything is.  It used to be Nurgle exchanged damage for survivability, but the 9th ed Codices make everything more lethal, it's like Nurgle has yet to catch up.

Really interested in what others think, though.

I know in 8th ed, one of our irregular posters had some success with an all slaanesh list, taking advantage of its speed, the ability of the Keeper of Seeker to heal itself while in melee, and the ability to fiends to lock units there.  He did well in a couple of the big scanavian tourneys - I think he is in Norway. 

Basically, it was a very technical list that relied on a number of synergies within the list and required a fair bit of skill to pilot.  The fundamentals of the list continue to exist in 9e and would seem to benefit from changes such as the move to smaller table sizes and the limiting of overwatch.  That said, those benefits may not overcome the ever increasing lethality and boosts to resiliency to compensate contained in more recent codexes.

I do hope GW surprise us with a codex out from the blue and soon. And I hope they make all gods and there units to work. Hopefull thinking but I hope it comes true. From those leaks it looks like Tzeentch, my favor god and units, will be weaker. Hope not. But I will not put out judgement until I have the codex in my hands.