Wolves of the Outer Dark

While there are many references in Imperial history, legend, and allegory to the "Wolves that stalk between stars", it is often assumed that they are referring to the Vlka Fenryka, the Space Wolves. In truth, there are many Chapters who bear the cognomen and heraldry of the ancient Terran wolf, and administrative  mistakes abound in an empire so massive. That there exists a chapter of far darker mien, less noble of aspect than the sons of Fenris, has been a whispered rumor, a tale to quiet unruly children. As is so often the case with rumors, there is always a kernel of truth beneath the surface, and sometimes, that truth is best left forgotten.

large.BY5no5G.jpg.05b7fee4ad2bc75170e95fc7ce726a81.jpg

WIP

++++++

Here we go again! Those of you that remember me and any of my posts know that I am constantly starting and re-starting projects. Horus Heresy 2.0 has me excited to work on my Ultramarines, and I really should be doing that, but I have been suffering from major nostalgia lately. I long for the heady days of the Liber Astartes subforum, and contributing to projects there. I also miss "firstborn" marines and Chapters. So this is an amalgamation of all those ideas. A DIY chapter that I will shortly-ish be posting to the Liber (when I have more concrete ideas for them), and a Firstborn army set in the "new" Imperium and all that entails. Did they shun Primaris reinforcement? Has there been a Torchbearer fleet dispatched to find them? Or have the been forgotten by the Imperium, for they have been removed from Imperial sight for so long? Either way, this will also be my attempt at a true-scale army inspired by the likes of Apologist, Doghouse, and Kizzdougs' fantastic Death Company marine. I have a ton of primaris kits languishing in hobby hell, I hope to find them purpose here. Anyway. Enough rambling. I hope the reader is excited as I am for this, my latest and greatest project.

P.s. Any story ideas or names inspired by the fluff blurb above are greatly appreciated!!

you could interweave the reports of ancient astartes cruisers in darkened grey that assist in major conflicts and disappear without a trace.

Rumors they are heresy era wolves. but rumors are just rumors.

Have you read the outerdark with the space sharks? you could draw some inspiration from there

I have not! But I will look into it! I think I will definitely incorporate a lot of rumors and supposition, conflicting stories, all the good stuff that makes 40k, well, 40k. 

I’m also thinking they were forced into a penitent crusade due to “excesses in the prosecution of their duties, notably for the death of an entire star system”, or something along those lines.  That’s why the Imperium forgot them. They went into the dark outside of the galaxy on crusade and returned to find the Imperium changed, their recruiting grounds and former protectorates engulfed in the Great Rift. And a being claiming to be a Primarch returned, something they reject completely. To them the Primarchs are dead, missing, or Traitors. 

Also, as an aside, they are definitely NOT Space Wolves successors, but the imperium at large would probably assume they are just because of their chapter symbol. All of their markings are nominally codex based. And no wolf pelts, totems, etc. they are sleek killers in the void. 

Gene seed wise, the Magos Invigilata are beginning to notice markers of a contradictory sort. Where one zygote will show the genetic markers of an Ultramarines heritage, others will show markers of a different founding legion. Mercurial and Chimeric. Basically going to be stealing the Astral Claws’ penchant for stealing geneseed from the fallen, but somehow with a less traitorous twist. Basically due to being on crusade for so long and the destruction of their genestocks with their fortress monastery, they have resorted to less “legal” means of acquiring geneseed. Maybe tithe vessels go missing, fallen brothers of chapters they fight beside go missing mysteriously. But as ever, nothing is proven. 

Edited by ToyShip

large.Mzb1vgZ.jpg.a2cc70dd90e3d188fc5de823f51de889.jpglarge.nEfLucj.jpg.f1bbb3faebe75efc0ab4456ce88fb049.jpglarge.FY3opLQ.jpg.a27736f6d2fe16cb886fcb08b26fc0f8.jpglarge.9IjtWB8.jpg.6bf64c801ec76f9cec464cfd9af93a0f.jpg

I was going to wait till he was based up, but I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing for them yet. Probably Martian orange as I have some powders for it...Noticed the inside of his sling needs some attention, and as always, close ups reveal a multitude of sins. Tried some new techniques here and there, and God-Emperor I am loving him so far. Hope you all do too!

'Shadows are ever hidden against the darkness; only the glint of eye and glimmer of blade betraying them. They called them Thunder-Howlers, those Wolves Penumbral. They called them Harrow-Markers and Sin Eaters of the Marches. Wolves with knives.'

'They stalked from hidden places, and emerged from the spaces between stars when their foes were weak, or watchless; and then they wrought havoc on their ill-fated prey.'

+++

I hope you'll forgive my colour text above – the fantastic figure and lore you've produced got me turning over names and ideas; I hope they prove useful (if only in helping you decide what to avoid!) Thanks for the kind words in your opening post – I've always loved how much of a boiling pot of inspiration discussion forums can be, so let me thank you in turn for getting my imagination going.

Looking forward to seeing how you develop your Chapter – and I'd love to see you incorporate them into the War of the False Primarch, if you're interested.

9 hours ago, apologist said:

'Shadows are ever hidden against the darkness; only the glint of eye and glimmer of blade betraying them. They called them Thunder-Howlers, those Wolves Penumbral. They called them Harrow-Markers and Sin Eaters of the Marches. Wolves with knives.'

'They stalked from hidden places, and emerged from the spaces between stars when their foes were weak, or watchless; and then they wrought havoc on their ill-fated prey.'

+++

I hope you'll forgive my colour text above – the fantastic figure and lore you've produced got me turning over names and ideas; I hope they prove useful (if only in helping you decide what to avoid!) Thanks for the kind words in your opening post – I've always loved how much of a boiling pot of inspiration discussion forums can be, so let me thank you in turn for getting my imagination going.

Looking forward to seeing how you develop your Chapter – and I'd love to see you incorporate them into the War of the False Primarch, if you're interested.

@Apologist! Wow! I am honored by your kind words, and even more flattered by your color text and invitation to the War of the False Primarch! Definitely helpful and inspiring! I've been reading about the War since the beginning, and I would be honored to join. I have given some thought to the idea, and I wonder if there is room for "rogue" element, in that these guys definitely don't believe in the False Primarch, but they're not a part of the Pentarchy, as well, there's only five such chapters. As stated above, they don't even think the return of Guilliman in the 41st millennium is real. Cool thread there, we've fought against "Primarchs" before and all that.

Looks like that gives me 3rd-6th founding as a playground to work with, plenty of time in there. I'll probably go with the 4th founding, in response to the end of the War of the Beast. All this stuff I may need to transcribe to the Liber though...I'm not sure how far is too far when it comes to lore development ins the WIP forum.

Basing for the first guy has started, assembly of the second fellow with start shortly. Looking at starting with a Kill-team and then working my way up to a Combat Patrol and beyond!

'They came as a sudden tempest, attacking the weakest point in our lines and then fading just as fast. This was repeated over many hours, our foe proving impervious to any return fire. It was as if they were toying with us, feeding on our fear. Our tormentors killed in complete silence. Those who broke and ran into the smoke were later heard screaming their last; I shudder to imagine the fate that befell them. A name began to be whispered among the ranks, "Hellhounds", no doubt inspired by the markings daubed on their armor. My dreams are still haunted by the sight of them slaughtering my men." -Kartac Ortos, sole survivor of the Ferralos Reaving.

large.EVU7SJG.jpg.7ccdee09e704ac06fa74d0e9fdf38de4.jpg

16 hours ago, apologist said:

+++

Badass post on a badass project thread. Love the ideas, inspiring stuff :). :thumbsup:

and they rushed forth like ravening wolves in whose hearts is fury unspeakable—wolves that have slain in the hills a great horned stag, and rend him, and the jaws of all are red with gore;

and in a pack they go to lap with their slender tongues the surface of the black water from a dusky spring, belching forth the while blood and gore, the heart in their breasts unflinching, and their bellies gorged full.

Homer. The Iliad with an English Translation by A.T. Murray, Ph.D.

Really nice minis and painting, and @apologist's fantastic colour text brought to mind these lines from the Iliad, and I thought you might find them apt. :) 

Edited by BadgersinHills