Getting started, do and do nots

I have a bunch of models I have purchased in bundles and the GM edition when the game first dropped. I’m looking at doing Vulturum as my legio. I have no idea what that really means beyond a paint scheme. Having said that I have a number of friends that are also now keen to jump in as well. So as I have the most stuff, and terrain, I’ve been designated as the guy who knows it all so I’ve come looking for advice. 

If you were starting now and knew nothing beyond “haha big small titans cool” how would you recommended starting or resources/items to use. Is there some where to see lists to at least direct people to so they have an idea what to buy next since we are genuinely clueless? 
Is there an error or decision you made that you want to impart or great mistake that turned out amazing?

honestly anything would help. 

cheers 

Hi Dark Wolf, and welcome to AT18! :smile:

7 hours ago, Dark Wolf said:

[...] So as I have the most stuff, and terrain, I’ve been designated as the guy who knows it all [...]

Hehe, I know that dynamic well... In my experience, it pays to remind people to have their own read of the rules, once they've committed properly. AT18 is a great game, but the partially diffuse structure and wording of the ruleset tends is a fertile ground for minor misunderstandings. While this has never impaired my own and my fellows' joy in the game and its very neat core mechanics, let me just point out that it doesn't hurt to have more than one pair of eyes read the rules, and maybe more than once. :wink: It's also worth mentioning that GW has published some FAQs and Errata which clarified many such points.

Apart from Titans and terrain, you will require rules and some gaming accessories. With the Grandmaster Edition, you should possess most of the stuff you need to get started. The Hardcover version of the ruleset contained in that box has been slightly updated with some of the first Errata with the release of the Soft Cover version from the later Starter Set, but if you consider the latest Errata (currently V.1.4), the Hard Cover will do perfectly. With increasing model counts, you may find yourself in need of some more Titan terminals. These can be bought seperately, and there's also free downloads for printing, at least for the most common Titans and Knights.

The consecutive expansion books ("Titan Death" and the like) are generally seen as worthy additions to the game, not least in regard to Horus Heresy and Legio background. Ruleswise, however, GW has kindly compiled almost everything from these in the Loyalist Legions and Traitor Legions books. The latter also introduced rules for corrupted Engines. If you get these (or at least the one that covers your favoured side of the Heresy), you'll have almost every rule thing, except for pure Knight House lists (which had been introduced in Doom of Molech), some suggestions for ongoing campaigns and rules for Custom-built Legios (given in Defence of Ryza), a number of narrative scenarios and the occasional White Dwarf gimmick.

As for lists and purchases: even in matched play, there are relatively few restrictions on battleforce composition. A battleforce is typically made from at least one maniple, which comprises a number of 3-5 Titans. In the meantime, we got a large variety of different maniples to choose from, each of which comprises a different mix of (three) mandatory and (two) optional Titans. A maniple will give you a Princeps senioris (i. e. a free upgrade on on of the maniples' Titans with special abilities) as well as specific maniple rules. It is usually suggested to begin things with forces of about 3-4 Titans and maybe one supporting Banner of Knights. This will give you lists of aroung 1000 points, which is great. The game really doesn't require a lot of models for complex and exciting interactions. In the beginning, a mix of the most common chassis will be fine: Warhounds, Reavers, Warlords. After a while, you may develop a favour for certain playstyles (offensive, defensive, opportunistic...), models and Titans. Along with background and modelling aspects, this should guide your further decisions.

Other than that, I would recommend Goonhammer for a further read. They have compiled decent runups on most relevant topics, from general tactics, reviews etc. to more specific analyses of single legios, maniples and much more. The respective Legio articles usually also contain one or more example lists.

P.S.: Magnetizing weapons IS worth the effort!

P.P.S.: take care and study the manual well when building the Reaver legs. The parts are easily and often confused.^^

Edited by Tar Aldarion

Welcome Princeps Dark Wolf!

Tar's done a great job at giving you information on the rules, so I'll confine myself to the hobby aspect.

If you want to future-proof your models, magnetizing them is really key. It's worth the extra effort on Titans. I think it's a bit of overkill on Knights, but my group are not sticklers for WYSIWYG on Knights.

In terms of expanding both your miniature and terrain collection, I'd recommend a "try before you buy" approach. You can cut Titan and Knight bases out of cardboard and test out new Maniples and force combinations. When you get the feel for what you like, then buy the minis to match. Likewise, the same can be done with terrain. Not sure how high you terrain needs to be? Try out a few cardboard stand ins before you start building.

And while on the topic of terrain, you can make multiple tables worth with one sheet of closed-cell insulation foam available at most home improvement stores, so there's no need to break the bank unless you want to.

Welcome to Titanicus! It’s my favourite games workshop game, with excellent minis and rules.

Some good tips have already been made but I’ve got a couple more. 

To reiterate, do magnetise your models. You can easily get 5x1mm round magnets online. Get loads. 

Reaver titan legs are a pain. They have a lot of parts that look like they could go on either side but which are actually right or left handed. The feet are the biggest giveaway if you get this wrong. Additionally, the ankle joint has to be built pretty straight - otherwise the lower leg armour won’t fit. 

In terms of books, get the loyalist and/or traitor legios ones. Those have all the rules. 

Some of us like to paint a titan’s skeleton and armour separately. Some go as far as to paint the armour on the sprue. A benefit of this is that you can spray the skeleton with metallics and the armour a colour. I generally use wraithbone and occasionally retributive armour for the plates. 

Have fun!

I'll second the hobby advice to paint the skeleton and armor plates separately, especially if you use an airbrush or rattle can for your base coats.

This is even worth doing for knights, and speeds painting considerably.

I blu-tac panels onto a long stick for painting, writing the part number in pen behind the panel to make sure I don't accidentally mix them up.

I would also agree with painting the skeleton and armour separately; it makes things MUCH easier! Having said that it will depend a lot on how much detail you wish to go into in terms of painting a titan.

Tar's advice is really solid and definitely worth following. The rulebook has a base set of rules and advanced rules. I learnt the game witha  friend during lockdown using Tabletop simulator and we started using the basic rules and only Titans, which basically encouraged him to go and buy the models and a starter set. In our secodn game we added in some more complexity (like reactor diec, etc.) and we hoping to use knights and stratagems when we next play. The system is great in allowing you to gradually add those elements and still have a good game, but doing that also means you can really grasp some of the fundamentals and ensure you are comfortable with them before moving on.

Edited by Gillyfish
Typos!