Can you use "Descent of Angels" for a dedicated transport?

juckto

Assault squad removes their jump packs, take either a drop pod or a Land Raider, and choose to arrive via deep strike.

Can you then use the re-roll reserve roll, and/or scatter d6" less?

The answer is, "No that's stupid" ... but can anyone prove it (either way) using RAW?

I think you can re-roll the reserve roll (because you are rolling for the assault squad that has the special rule, and the dedicated transport is simply attached), but can't use the scatter d6" less (because the transport is the model deep striking).

+Edit - and on the topic of transports, can the Blood Chalice be used when the priest is inside a transport?

"A unit with this special rule can re-roll failed reserve rolls if arriving by deep strike."

"Player must declare if units are in transport etc. ... If they do, then the unit and the transport will be rolled for together and arrive together"

Is the unit arriving by deep strike? Yes.

Am I making a reserve roll for the unit? Yes.

I've met all the conditions stated in the special rule in order to use the special rule.

(The fact I am making a reserve roll for the unit together with the transport doesn't change the fact that I am making a reserve roll for the unit.)

Now, normaly, the easy responce would be 'no. If you take away the jump packs, they're no longer jump infantry, and thusly nolonger have the DS ability.' But, for some odd reason, GW decided to list DS as a unit ability, not one of their wargar. xp

Long answer: "no, that's stupid..." Because, well..

B, as already pointed out by greatcrusade, the transport does not have the DoA special rule,so it may not make use of it. Just like.. say, a unit of scouts hopping into a transport. They might have Stealth (depending on the codex), but they do not grant it to the vehicle as well. They are two seperate units.

And more importantly: A. Those transports do not have the deepstrike option themselves, either! So they cannot DS. DS is not a rule they can confer onto their transpoort! In the current edition only Scout, and possibly Infiltrate, IIRC, are conferable to dedicated transports.

Oh and.. Assault squads cannot pick a Land Raider as a dedicaed transport. (they may take a drop pod or a rhino, only) So *that* particular train of thought should just be stuck at the station. Or better yet, derailed and dismantled completely.

Nevermind me. Wrong codex in mind. :lol: >_>

Oh and.. Assault squads cannot pick a Land Raider as a dedicaed transport. (they may take a drop pod or a rhino, only) So *that* particular train of thought should just be stuck at the station. Or better yet, derailed and dismantled completely.

You do realise that they are talking about Blood Angels, right. Any squad that can take a dedicated transport can take any of the three Land Raider varients. The only squads that have restrictions and the two termi squads that can't take rhinos or razorbacks.

I think you can re-roll the reserve roll (because you are rolling for the assault squad that has the special rule, and the dedicated transport is simply attached), but can't use the scatter d6" less (because the transport is the model deep striking).

I think you've got it right. As a unit the squad and the transport can use the re-roll as they are both arriving together via deepstrike. However, the transport is the one actually doing the deepstrike, and as it doesn't have the Descent of Angels special rule it cannot take advantage of the reduced scatter.

It's kind of like how a squad arriving via drop pod can't assault the turn they arrive in Planetstrike. The drop pod has the deepstrike rule not the unit.

Official BA FAQ.

Q: If a unit with Descent of Angels rule Deep Strikes via

a transport, teleport or means other than by jump

pack, can the Descent of Angels rule still be used?

A: No.

"A unit with this special rule can re-roll failed reserve rolls if arriving by deep strike."

"Player must declare if units are in transport etc. ... If they do, then the unit and the transport will be rolled for together and arrive together"

Is the unit arriving by deep strike? Yes.

Am I making a reserve roll for the unit? Yes.

I've met all the conditions stated in the special rule in order to use the special rule.

(The fact I am making a reserve roll for the unit together with the transport doesn't change the fact that I am making a reserve roll for the unit.)

The unit isnt moving, the transport is. The unit just count as moving, rules as written.

Archived