Hello all who still pay attention to this ;)

As promised here is the PIP progress of my scratchbuilt Sternguard squad.

The White is done now (because I think I'll destroy a small country if I have to paint any more layers :)) and the bases for the other colours are down.

Only thing left to do before highlighting is the metalwork.

So without futher ado:

Sarge

gallery_39897_5762_1036090.jpg

Sternguard 1

gallery_39897_5762_690662.jpg

Sternguard 2

gallery_39897_5762_1525045.jpg

Sternguard 3

gallery_39897_5762_253349.jpg

Sternguard 4

gallery_39897_5762_980044.jpg

Also I thought I'd show a pic of the converted "old school" backpack I made, one of which is on Sternguard 4 whereas this one will be going on Sternguard 3:

gallery_39897_5762_269380.jpg

Anyway, I plan on finishing these guys by the Weekend and then starting on my Scouts (which I still need to finalize a scheme for :) )

Comments and criticism welcomed and requested :)

No comments/criticism :(

Well tonight I changed my plans and started on the overall highlighting, which means I'm leaving the metalwork for last (because it's always annoying).

I have done all the Blue highlights (which as the 3rd main colour was the most time consuming), next will be the Black highlights (always fun <_< )

and then the general purity seals, scrollwork and other bits.

The Blue has generally gone quite well, I just need to give it a quick glaze with Asurmen Blue to bring everything together better :P

But at the mo I'm on target to finish the squad by the end of the Weekend as planned and will hopefully have the final pics to post by Sunday ^_^

Yo mate, nice army being built, nice to see you finally get on with it after all the long chats we have via Xbox...

Everything you have so far is great, I really like the coversion on the AOBR captain model, the only thing with that model though is how stiff/blocked the head is.

With your White, you have the colour the, crisp, but it needs something else, maybe a little bit more depth and shading perhaps?

You keep cracking on with the army mate, in the end it'll be worth it and look great on the tabletop.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I agree about the Sarge, but I'm hoping that once I line in the shading it'll make his head look a bit more recessed and less molded to his chestplate :D

I get what you mean about the White, but the annoyance of bringing it up from Black sometimes makes me overzealous and I end up neglecting the shading :)

I do however plan on going back over the whole army once it's all done and adding in shading and wear and tear.

I'm also seriously considering picking up some White primer to make things quicker and easier :lol:

So it looks like you were right and I should base in White :P

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I agree about the Sarge, but I'm hoping that once I line in the shading it'll make his head look a bit more recessed and less molded to his chestplate :D

I get what you mean about the White, but the annoyance of bringing it up from Black sometimes makes me overzealous and I end up neglecting the shading :)

I do however plan on going back over the whole army once it's all done and adding in shading and wear and tear.

I'm also seriously considering picking up some White primer to make things quicker and easier :lol:

So it looks like you were right and I should base in White :P

Lol ha ha, told you so, with White it's better to base in White and then just work on the recesses with thinned dark greys.

:-D

Thanks, thats what I'm hoping for :)

No more painting done today, so I will have to pull the lead out tomorrow and Saturday daytime.

But I am still confident that I will get these done by Sunday :)

Also after looking at my older stuff from last year I have decided to strip most of it and redo the paint work, as I feel that I can do a better job of it now and I have to re-evaluate the army list due to some of my planned army being requisitioned for my Flesh Tearers.

But I will get this army finished by hook or by crook :)

Ok, last filler update.

I took a good look at my Sternguard tonight and noticed a few issues with a couple of them so tonight has been mostly GS correction work.

I will be finishing off the highlighting tomorrow as well as starting the metals (may even finish them :) ).

Anyway I will put up a couple of pics of them on Sunday hopefully, providing my hangover isn't too bad (Fiance's birthday party tomorrow night, well tonight I suppose <_< ).

It's update time :)

As promised here are a few more pics of the Sternguard in their current state.

I still have the metalwork and some of the shading and detailing to do, but have most of the highlights done.

I'm not to happy with the highlights on the Black though.

Sarge

gallery_39897_5762_653692.jpg

I'm really happy with the highlighting on the tabard and brocade, also the nasty crack I found in the tabard is completely gone ;)

Sternguard 1

gallery_39897_5762_909716.jpg

Sternguard 2

gallery_39897_5762_147009.jpg

Sternguard 3

gallery_39897_5762_293279.jpg

This one had some repair work done on his left ankle and chestplate since the last pics went up, I think he looks better for it :)

Sternguard 4

gallery_39897_5762_136800.jpg

This guy is the first one I have done the shading on. A few touches of thinned Black ink applied where needed.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how these guys have gone and it's been a good way to work the rust off my painting.

I hope now that I can paint the rest up to at least this standard.

I'm aiming to have the squad completed by Wednesday/Thursday and will hopefully have some pics up by Friday.

Comments and Criticism welcomed :)

Plenty of views but no comments/criticism since my last post, how depressing ;)

Well I will be finishing them off tomorrow (at least till my new tv arrives :( ) and I will post up the final pics either tomorrow evening or Thursday.

Hopefully that will draw some words out of you guys :P

You what I really like the Sterngaurd with the knife, very good. In all

Honesty Im not keen on the blue gun casing matched with the blue face plates and shoulder pads, but that's down to personal preference but that don't mean I think it's bad look or anything.

Keep going mate. And see you online tonight

Cheers mate :)

I'll probably catch you online Wednesday (Once I have my new TV :D).

And get the rest of your Sternguard squad built up so that I can call them names and make other derogatory remarks ;)

Edited by Razblood

I return with the penultimate update on my Sternguard squad :)

They are pretty much finished, bar some shading, small touches & the bases.

So without further ado:

Sarge

gallery_39897_5762_1231519.jpg

A slightly closer look at the face (closest I could zoom without losing focus :lol: )

gallery_39897_5762_67563.jpg

Sternguard 1

gallery_39897_5762_1461254.jpg

And one with his gun

gallery_39897_5762_494812.jpg

Sternguard 2

gallery_39897_5762_1116714.jpg

Sternguard 3

gallery_39897_5762_955206.jpg

Close-up of the scorch effect on his Melta barrel

gallery_39897_5762_1120208.jpg

Sternguard 4

gallery_39897_5762_923861.jpg

I'll put up a final set of pics when they're done, before I move on to my next squad (which will probably be my Flesh Tearer Terminators)

Comments/Criticism please :)

Edited by Razblood

Very nice work here Raz. My only niggle is giving these boys a bit more light when you take piccies of them so we can see all the lovely shiny work you've done. :tu: I really like Sternguard #3 a tonne too, I might just have to...borrow that pose.

Cambrius

Thanks mate :P

My lighting in my flat is absolutely terrible :( So at the mo these are the best I can do. Gonna knock up a photobox at some point and use my housemates daylight bulb with it to try and get some better pics.

Go right ahead and "borrow" the pose :tu: I got the stance by cutting the Right leg at the hip and then rotating the leg back a bit, so pretty simple to do :)

Thanks mate :)

My lighting in my flat is absolutely terrible :( So at the mo these are the best I can do. Gonna knock up a photobox at some point and use my housemates daylight bulb with it to try and get some better pics.

Go right ahead and "borrow" the pose :P I got the stance by cutting the Right leg at the hip and then rotating the leg back a bit, so pretty simple to do :)

I can understand that, my student house last year had some poor lighting so I generally could only take photos in daylight hours. Do you have a desk lamp? I use that often with my guys. Just be sure to adjust your camera White Balance (AWB or WB Settings on your camera) to tungsten if it's got a classic bulb in it or Fluorescent for your strip lightning. :) It does a tonne of good, especially for white.

Thanks, I'll be sure to try that when I eventually build my Sternguard for my Vanquishers. :)

Cambrius

Hello all,

I have taken some pics under a daylight bulb which I think shows the Sternguard in a better light :P

Sarge

gallery_39897_5762_612874.jpg

Sternguard 1

gallery_39897_5762_724502.jpg

Sternguard 2

gallery_39897_5762_1786167.jpg

Sternguard 3

gallery_39897_5762_743765.jpg

Sternguard 4

gallery_39897_5762_1677947.jpg

And now time for some random stuff

Classic Vets for Honour Guard Squad

gallery_39897_5762_2235.jpg

A rescue mission

gallery_39897_5762_1525689.jpg

A Librarians Familiar (4th Ed)

gallery_39897_5762_796777.jpg

Angry Champion (although I may just repurpose him for the HG) with suitable hand conversion :P

gallery_39897_5762_457318.jpg

My first attempt at a "Doghouse" pattern truescale (legs only so far)

gallery_39897_5762_159091.jpg

Back view

gallery_39897_5762_1761340.jpg

Found myself at a bit of a loose end tonight so went crazy with the camera B)

Comments and Criticism if you please :)

Well I have yet to do anymore work on the army, but I figured I would share my first attempt at an almost Doghouse pattern Truescale marine.

Unfortunately I can't find my camera so I've had to use my phone, so sorry for the sucky pics:

gallery_39897_5762_31910.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_144496.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_68286.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_70724.jpg

I will get some better pics up when I find the thrice damned camera.

And please bear in mind that this is my first attempt and therefore quite rough around the edges, so please be gentle :P

Comments & Criticism welcomed :)

For a first attempt that's great fella, really well done, also about your pictures, I know you said you took then with your phone but what's happened Is your camera has focoused on the back ground, not the model itself.

Keep going mate.

Superb for a first attempt! My talents with GS usually end at making a snowman or sausage. :) To avoid the focusing issue, just use some sheets of A4 paper and perch one up behind the models and have one for them to stand on, so your camera has nothing to focus on but the models. :) Looking forwards to seeing more!

Cambrius