Another quick update.

Bike squad is complete, up to 5-man anyway and I have the prep work done on the Tac squad 4.

The Drop Pod is proving to be an annoyance that I just cant bring myself to paint at the mo :Elite:

I also have another 4 marines of Tac squad 3 to do.

After they are done I will be working on the Crusader and maybe start on the first Termie squad, although I may focus on the Scouts before them :tu:

Pics of the Bikes will be up soon :tu:

Edited by Razblood

Drop Pod nearly done, which I have not enjoyed painting. Dunno how I'm gonna bring myself to do another 3 of them :)

Go some tidying up to do and then I'm leaving it, before I end up throwing it out of my window :lol:

Also got 13 Tac marines basecoated. These form the second half of squad 3 and the majority of squad 4 :)

Pic update is coming soon.

Pics will definitely be in the next update, however I just wanted to say that I am done with the Drop Pod for now and will be putting off doing the other 3 for as long as feasibly possible (because I hated painting the bloody thing :lol:)

Next on the agenda are my Dread repairs and the Crusader, at which point I will have a painted 2000 (well 1998) point army for the first time in my 15 year hobby career :)

After that I'm going to get the basing done for everything I've painted thus far, then I will be moving onto the next block which at the mo consists of 2 Tac Squads, another Rhino, the repaint of the Predator and maybe some Assault Marines.

I'm starting to wish I could afford an Airbrush ;)

Damn skippy ^_^

Update time, with pics!

First up is the Bike Squad, got another bike and Attack Bike WIP and will need to pick up 2 more but heres the first 5 -

Squad

gallery_39897_5762_1119051.jpg

Sarge

gallery_39897_5762_1815573.jpg

Plasma

gallery_39897_5762_582881.jpg

Melta

gallery_39897_5762_1434544.jpg

Biker 1

gallery_39897_5762_752683.jpg

Biker 2

gallery_39897_5762_268603.jpg

Next is the damnable Drop Pod -

gallery_39897_5762_591794.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_1014807.jpg

And finally some better pics of Captain Camaris & his personal physician -

Captain

gallery_39897_5762_1733187.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_784431.jpg

Need to redo his Axe blade, but overall I'm happy with him.

Apothecary (with new backpack)

gallery_39897_5762_1700218.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_1660321.jpg

Very happy with this guy, other than a couple of annoying mold lines :lol:

Anyway, there you have it.

I'm in the midst of repainting the Crusader at the mo, as well as about halfway through painting Tac Squad 4. After them I will finally do the Dread and that will be my first objective complete :D

Then I move on to bring the total painted to...Full Battle Company! For which I really only need a few tanks and a LS Storm and possibly a Ven. Dread.

After that I will be kitbashing a Chapter Master and some Honour Guard.

So lots of work ahead B)

Comments and criticism welcomed as usual :)

Not sure yet, thats for way down the line at the mo.

The Ceramite White has been a help, but it seems to require exact thinning otherwise it streaks or splits and is near unusable. I forgive it this though because it's letting me get stuff done faster ;)

Crusader is mostly done, bar touch ups and a few details. Even got the thrice cursed sponsons together ;)

Hopefully finish it off over the Weekend then I can move on to the Dread.

I'll try to have another update by Monday ;)

Crusader done, should be able to get pics up tomorrow.

Got the Dread started too ;)

I would also like to report that Army Painter Dark tone is a perfect alternative to Badab Black, I think it's actually a little better as it seems to go on smoother as well as coming in an 18ml dropper bottle and being cheaper :P

Pic update time :)

My army now stands at 1998 points of painted White armoured fury and I am nowhere near done yet ;)

Crusader

gallery_39897_5762_15231.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_1336978.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_655366.jpg

Needs a few touch ups on the tracks, but for now I consider it done. Really hate this model because it was the first tank I put together for my army from scratch and I made a few mistakes along the way, but I have managed to cover up most of the damage I think.

Dread

gallery_39897_5762_361728.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_220773.jpg

This is the same dread from earlier in the blog and I think he looks much better after a repaint :lol:

Still need to paint the alt. weapons, but that shouldn't take too long.

Anyway I have now reached my first goal and am really pleased with how the army is looking. I think I'll start basing everything next before moving onto the next few squads and the re-refurbished predator (I love acetone free nail varnish remover!)

Comments and Criticism equally welcomed :)

Ok, instead of basing I moved on to Tac Squad 4 which is now about half done :P

But I figured that I should get another Tac squad done before I indulge in anymore fun stuff, so I may do the Scouts next just so I'm painting something other than White :)

Also just splurged on an Army Painter paint set, so I may use them on the Scouts and do a little product review at the same time :) although if they are as good as the Dark tone then the review will be overwhelmingly positive :P

Looking pretty decent so far, it does look as though the white is holding you back a bit though.. priming grey would help (halfords grey primer is good) and then painting the majority an off white (vallejo sky grey) and highlighting with pure white, would add more depth and also mean the paint wasnt as thick (less layers coming off grey, subtler shadows too)

if you're looking into the army painter paints.. might i suggest looking into the vallejo range? theres a place in birmingham called ian alans that sells them (cheaper than modelzone)

if you can make it down to the solihull gaming club next monday i can have a chat with you about such stuff.. plus you'd also get to do some gaming. :woot:

I actually prime White, shade with thinned Badab Black/Dark Tone and then do one layer of thinned Ceramite White and one thinned layer of Skull White, only way I can do it without going insane B)

It looks a bit thicker on the Raider and Dread because they are paint over jobs rather than bare plastic.

Really didn't want to have to repaint the interior of the Raider :lol: and wanted to keep the previous metals on the Dread as I was quite happy with them.

In the end though, if I didn't do them the way I do them now (with the mantra "get it done") I probably would get stressed and lose interest again for another few years :lol:

I will definitely drop down to Solihull one week in the near future, after knocking up a 1750 point list, brushing up on the rules and sorting out a carry case.

Thanks for taking a look though :)

Got the first squad of Termies basecoated as well as the Alt Weapons for the Dread.

Probably have another pic update next week, providing this heat lays off and stops prematurely drying my paint :(

Edited by Razblood

Been thinking about a wet palette for a while now, just always slipped my mind :P

Final bits for Termie Squad 2 have turned up and I'm awaiting some decent plastic glue (GW stuff doesn't seem to be bonding properly and stuff I glued a few weeks ago is falling apart :) ).

Also picking up my Army Painter set tomorrow morning.10 paints, 2 brushes and a small can of White Primer for £20 :D

@ Rhetoricus - Glad you enjoyed it mate :)

Edited by Razblood

ARMY PAINTER SET REVIEW - PART 1:

Got the Army Painter set.

Brushes appear to be nylon, but not as crappy as GW's nylon brushes. In fact the Drybrush is actually quite nice :)

Paints are very nice 18ml dropper bottles and have a good consistency, shouldn't need much thinning.

The metals do need a good shake to bring them together, but look very nice afterward ;)

Free can of Primer :P :D :D

Overall a nice starter set, with every basic colour, including a Flesh tone very similar to old Bronzed Flesh.

Much better colour selection than the restrictive starter sets GW is currently pumping out, although there are no test minis in the box it's still very good value for what I paid for it.

I'll bash out a test mini using these and get a couple of pics up over the weekend to show them off, an Imperial Fist should suffice (Especially since it will be a scheme completely new to me :P ).

ARMY PAINTER SET REVIEW - PART 2

Spent today knocking up the test mini for these paint and as I restricted myself to only the paints in the box and the bottle of Dark Tone I already had I feel its been a very thorough test.

Aside from the bottle of Black being faulty (very watery in the bottle, but ok after a few minutes sitting in the pallete) I have to say these paints are a joy to use :)

All the colours are vibrant and have decent coverage, as well as mixing very smoothly. I had to apply only 3 coats of yellow and one of these was over the Flesh/Brown wash I made for shading :D

Anyway a picture is worth a thousand words, so heres 3 :P -

gallery_39897_5762_1699180.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_1574155.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_101590.jpg

One thing to note, the bottles in the Starter Set I bought (which is the old one) are only 15ml not 18ml. But still more than you get in GW pots :lol:

Anyway, let me know what you think and whether I should do any more of this reviewing thing ;)

Edited by Razblood

Plenty of views but nary a comment to be seen?

Well the next post will be back on point with Tac Squad 4 and Termie Squad 1 :sweat:

Also the bag of ebay goodies I just acquired may make an appearance :D

looks okay the yellow seems a little thick and it needs more contrast.. but working from just the starter set that could be an issue i guess.

get anything fun on ebay?

It was more the primer that got a bit thick as I had to re-prime it White, it was originally Black, the Yellow compounded the issue.

I do really like the Yellow though, it's sort of a midtone for Golden Yellow & Sunburst Yellow, so I will definitely be making use of that. Might do a Fists Emperors Champ next if I feel the need for a break from the White as I still have the model knocking about :)

I think that I would definitely better contrast if I hadn't restricted myself, a wash of Sepia would have really helped there.

Got a bag of goodies for £12 inc. postage which from what I can see in the pic contains at least 5-6 Special Character models and a bunch of other bits and pieces. Gonna have to wait till I get it to be certain of exactly is in there :D

Edited by Razblood

Got my bag of goodies today and found that I got some interesting stuff including -

2 x Incomplete Azrael models

2 x Incomplete Ezekiel Models

Khârn, missing Gorechild but I want to put a bigger axe on there anyway.

Brother Bethor, no use for him so gave it to my housemate.

2 Assault Marines and a spare Jump Pack, so I nearly have a completed 2nd squad

A bike, sans bolters again so I'll have to hit bits and kits etc. for those.

a Librarian with topless Force Staff, gonna whack a blade on there so he has a Force Zanbatou :lol:

Some old Rogue Trader Scouts.

A Rogue Trader Grey Knight.

A couple of metal Veterans.

A few Tacticals and various Weapons, as well as a few Catachans and a couple of LOTR models.

One of the Azraels has already been cleansed of his DA Iconography and equipped with the arms from an Emperors Champ I've had knocking about for a while and he will be getting some GS work before becoming my Chapter Master.

Edited by Razblood