Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

Again, like the Alpha and the EC one, he looks more like a demon prince, in my book.

Looks just about the right size too.

Very good one, like all about him.

Concept, execution...even the axe is just...brilliant!

Who's up next? A word Bearer?

Never been too keen on zealots, chaos zealots included, but i guess you could make me change my mind :devil:

It's a hammer, mate, it's got spikes on its flat surfaces =(

In this case, the size/scale is done on purpose, he's about the size of a Primarch (3 metres, give or take).

Next is the Word Bearer. Here's to hoping I don't subconsciously hold back while drawing him. 'The First Heretic' worked wonders on me...I now hate Lorgar and his gang.

These being the chief Raptors among the Legions, the Word Bearer will be a leader, so no mindless cultists will be included.

Then you need to read 'Aurelian'. It's a whole new ballgame now. The World Eater looks great, man. But....

Iron Within. Iron Without.

:devil:

Ah...just....wow! It all comes together so well, the pose, the different characteristics! I know what you mean with Khornite characters, its hard for them to look tidy, but you've done an incredible job!

At first glance his weapon has axe like qualities, but actually as a hammer its even more awesome...very unique! Really cool ;)

His Jetpack is also particularly good and really stands out

I don't see his height being an issue of any kind, it works well and gives him more character, particularly with his plot background! (Now you just need to do a small one ^_^ )

I will say one thing though:

the grid on his middle turbine is an absolute mess...Inexcusable, really...but it has a good concept behind it. The idea is for the metal to heat up so that the dark-iron Chaos star contrasts against it.

Inexcusable?! I'm sure that as metal heats it becomes malleable and thus will move slightly....to me it just adds more realism and depth! So you are excused ^_^

It pains me to say this, but I don't really like him.

His right shoulderpad and arm are just...confusing. The axe head looks like it's at a different angle to the shaft. And the Space Marine helmets seem to be simultaneously hanging straight down and following his leg (only one of which should logically be the case).

The central turbine looks fine, though. :P ;)

sadly I agree with the statements about the right arm. The overall concept though is amazing. I also love the fluff behind him, although I just can't get behind the "Titan" nickname. It's sadly an overused term already in 40k (The Iron warriors are compared to Titans, the mechanicus Titans, The planet, etc). Were you to actually name him after a Titan (Crius? Cronus?) I think it'd work better.

Keep it up though. Your interpretations are greatly inspiring. :P

The thing is, it had to be "Titan" so it could fit the raving (simplish) madness of a Khorne follower. He was nicknamed 'Titan' Pre-Heresy and that, coupled with the Titan rock he was offered (and the voice he 'heard' coming from it) shifted his mind into thinking he was the son of some titanic entity, the moon Titan being its incarnation. While 'Titan' may be a cliché for us 40K fans, in-universe, for a marine to be nicknamed after an invincible war machine was an enormous honor.

I have to admit, though, even liking the piece as much as I do, as a whole (story and art-wise), I think it could've come out better. I rushed it a bit and probably went for a very tough pose. I swear, the more you like a character, the more difficult it is to draw it fluidly.

The Word Bearer, for example, is coming out easily. Sigh...

I actually think the fluff (minus the name. I understand the reasoning behind the name but I feel taking an actual Titan's name would have been more subtle. You know?) was very impressive. You included enough specifics and details to merge him properly with history without making him over-imposing to it, gave him a unique hook that we haven't seen yet even in GW lore (and well needed IMO. If Grey Knights aren't dropped a few pegs in fan fiction then where??) and an aesthetic that is both savage and ties into his MO.

Remember - positive input can just be lip service. Critiques help us grow and show that the public really cares about what you are putting out. Kudos.

Remember - positive input can just be lip service. Critiques help us grow and show that the public really cares about what you are putting out. Kudos.

Hmm...actually, I can see how inserting a Titan's name and making the Grey Knight's homeworld a sort of former Pantheon could've enriched the whole fluff without overcomplicating it. Point taken, mate.

I'm sorry if it ever seemed like I ignored criticism, I tend to get draw into arguments I find can be useful, just for the kicks. Criticism does help me grow. I'm sure I'll never draw a freakish hand like the one this guy has, for sure, and I'm learning how to enrich my character fluff with every Raptor I put out. A big thank you, mate.

We've seen plenty of four toe raptors, and judging from the pic I'd say he has about 15 toes. I think the foot cup a nice compromise for one who is so big. Just look at an elephant's foot.

I think more focus should have been given to the arms compared to how big the shoulder pads are and how awesome you draw legs. It's not that we're not used to seeing big/titanic pads, but huge pads + large detailed legs = we need bigger arms.

This my favorite updating thread and I'm following it daily. Raptors are, hands down, my favorite Chaos unit, fluff, style, tactics, etc... It takes more than horns/spikes/tentacles/plague boils(eww) to draw me to the dark gods. Please keep up the good work.

Emperor help me if the next Chaos dex has awesome raptors... *wallet trembles*

One thing at which I'm pretty adamant when it comes to drawing Marines is keeping their hands and arms closer to unarmoured proportions.

Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tjkQUZ9f9gk/S_Q36CZ_LZI/AAAAAAAACsk/gnPvaZ-p5sk/s1600/Grey_Knight_by_CursedChaos.jpg

Anatomically, it may be pretty eye-beating, but it's a matter of taste I'm not ready to drop.

Thank you very much, DerekLee688, I'm hoping to have the Word Bearer ready "soonish". Although, it's proving a bit hard to set a tone for him.

Hear the words of the dark ones:

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/310/e/c/vuor_saddat__the_word_spoken_by_greyall-d4fap59.jpg

"Taxi!"

Vuor Saddat, The Word Spoken - Ambassador to Lorgar

You know diplomacy is important to someone when their ambassador is armed with a bone scythe with a mouth...

Vuor Saddat was an assault marine when his psychic powers manifested and, after a brief time as a Librarian - during which he showed enormous promise, being especially adept at mind-bending and influencing, but missed the spilling of blood up-close - he returned to forefront duties, mainly due to the conclusion of the Council of Nikaea.

When the Heresy broke and his Legion accepted the Chaos Gods, Vuor Saddat simply opened his acute mind to the Warp...and was instantly rendered insane. For the rest of the campaign - and a full century after it ended - the Word Bearers would simply point Saddat at enemy troops and watch him carve a path. His powers unbound, the psyker wound exhude a tremendous aura of fear and anguish, preventing all but the strongest of mind from lifting a weapon against the Word Bearer. Even against Space Marines the effect was very noticeable, superhuman reflexes becoming sluggish, shots and slashes missing their target, blocks performed weakly and unable to stop the massive strikes from Saddat's power scythe.

After the Heresy, Vuor Saddat became a champion among the Legion, seen as priviledged due to being in constant communion with the Dark Pantheon. One day, though, he returned...Prior to a great battle, while the Dark Apostle of the Warband was speaking to his warriors, preaching the will of the Gods, Vuor Saddat blinked as if suddendly awake and, with a whispered 'Lies', simply took the head of the chaplain with a movement of his great weapon. The shock among the Legion was nothing compared to what took hold of them once Vuor Saddat spoke. The voices of the four Gods spilled from the psyker's mouth, bursting his helmet vox into pieces, turning his teeth to powder, melting the skin of his face. And rendering hundreds of Word Bearers insane.

Suddendly, a portal to the Warp opened, and Vuor Saddat was pulled in to find himself before Lorgar, now immense and daemonical. In the dark Sky, four colossal eyes watched the meeting - one bluish, ever-shifting in form, like water within a globe being shaken; one dark purple, a perfectly polished dark mirror, hinting of endless depravity; one sickly, the green of its iris marred by the pale reds and yellows of unhealth; one whose sight was of unchecked hatred, the sclera deep red like a glass of the purest blood, a brazen orb darting within as if striking it.

Lorgar placed a hand on Vuor Saddat's head and the voices stopped, the lower hald of his head completely destroyed. The Primarch smiled and, without turning up, addressed the Gods, the four eyes turning to Saddat who, now sane, he struggled against the burning in his mind, the agony in his face and the impossible sight he faced. This Lorgar noticed, and said to the psyker 'Listen only, my son, for nothing else will ever be requested of you but to know the true words of the Gods'.

Vuor Saddat did indeed become the hearer of the Dark Gods' words and Lorgar's interpretation of them. He has also become the passer of those words, though not with his own voice. He was granted two mouths, one to speak the Dark Gods' will, the other his Primarch's. Yet Vuor Saddat is still himself. Still he hovers above the battlefield, the voices of his masters echoing and filling the hears and heads of every soldier, those in tune with the Chaos Gods taken to heights of aggression, the false prophets becoming gibbering fools, the unbelievers cowering, hesitating, left doubting and despairing in their own insignificance, an effect amplified by Saddat's powers.

Still does Vuor Saddat wield his scythe with the same thirst for death as before, still does he like the feeling of coming down on an unsuspecting foe, smashing him under his ceramite bulk. He has earned many gifts from the Pantheon: his armour fused with a daemon, able to regenerate itself; a scythe made from the bones of greater daemons; his jetpack an eldritch abomination of flesh and bone, propelling Saddat on Eldritch fire; and an Icon of the Pantheon, amplifying Vuor Saddat's powers.

Saddat's spirit swims through the Empyrean and, over time, it has merged with it, the Word Bearer almost a daemon, such is it connection to the Dark Gods. This has not passed unnoticed to Vuor and, over time, he speaks Lorgar's words in increasingly lower tones and with the most subtle of hesitations. In those miliseconds, though no one but him and the Chaos Gods hear, Vuor Saddat says to himself 'Lies'.

Two more Raptors to go - the Iron Warrior is underway. This one, like Scciroc, is a psyker. Don't let the high-hilted weapon fool you, scythes are great for ripping through enemy squads at high speeds.

Basically, I wanted this guy to look absolutely corrupted. I think I did it.

Don't know if you can see it, but if you look closely at his face, instead of a central arrow with two mouths, you can see two faces separated by that same arrow. Wasn't on purpose, but it serves the guy. I also serves to show me I shouldn't draw while drunk.

I like this one very much! The fire floating above his head, the giant mouth thing on his back, and the armor design is very cool.

Here comes the infamous but... I am not a fan of the weapon choice. It doesn't seem like something a Word Bearer would have but I like the fact it is something different other then that mace all of them seem to enjoy carrying around so much.

Well, this guy started slow. I knew the pose I wanted for him, but the armour was somewhat fuzzy in my mind, which is actually the opposite of what usually happens to me. He was to have a more daemonic head, but then I thought that, more than even Black Legion, Word Bearers are perhaps the most traditional of Chaos Legions. So I wanted his armour to be 'by the book', pieces-wise. I also recalled The First Heretic and what I knew from Aurellian: again, ADB did one heck of a job at making them corrupt to the marrow (literally). So Vuor Saddat would represent that corruption, that extremely close connection between humans and daemons.

He was to be a librarian, at first, so the scythe was supposed to be a staff, but I didn't want him to be all 'Spilling lightning from above'. A scythe is a gret weapon for a violent 'lecturer'. Imagine this guy soaring at head-height, scything enemies by the scores, heads through the air. In that sense, I feel the Chaos Icon is more controversial, and I fully understand if it doesn't sit well with you, it's a 'vertical' piece, so it looks strange when he's flying at high speed.

Glad ya like it =) Many thanks, once again.

Archived