Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

I'd suggest painting the head on it's own, then sticking it in - too hard to get to it with the model and the hood.

like the colour scheme and think you definitely made the right call concerning the colour scheme. He's off to a good start so far!

For the hood and tabard, I'd be tempted to go with either green or the pale grey of Mortarion's robes in the artwork.

Even unfinished, he looks excellent. You're inspiring me a lot for my DG and giving me a load of great ideas. :)

Looking at the Deathshroud artwork and Neil Robert's cover for Flight of the Eisenstein, in addition to the green, there are also examples of (smaller) black and red markings as highlights.

A small thought about the head - the hood reaches too high in the socket compared to the normal helmet. I think it will look better trimmed down a bit more. Oh, and is the censer going to be brass?

ill try out a light grey later on, the hood is annoying me, it looks too bulky & so im going to make my own rather than use a gw part, ive been slacking off on sculpting recently anyway.

decided i wasnt happy with the paintjob OR the head on the sergeant, so i sculpted a new hooded head and stripped the model back to the resin and started again because i felt i could do better.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/282/b/c/cataphractii_sergeant_by_typhion-d5haa7g.jpg

the last incarnation suffered all sorts of problems imho, i struggled to get the wash right, the primer wasnt great, the robes were getting thicker and thicker & the metals were iffy.. so fixing all those problems had to happen really and ovenpride is resin, greenstuff & plastic friendly.. (the scythe head was removed as it was the only bit i was happy with at its current stage (alclad steel, rub n buff silver, light wash, pigment stained and sealed ready for additional work.)

he does indeed look much better now!

I'm interested to know which head you used as a base for the new hooded head? it looks pretty cool, also the new hood is miles better although (and you'll hate me for this...) it's still too high when compared to the armored heads... Not that it's especially noticeable and he does still look epic

its one of the masters of the chapters heads.. i think mc hammers one but i may be wrong. it does and it doesnt sit too high.. the problem is the cataphractii bare head (and subsequently the helmets) are marginally smaller than the already small metal heads. i played about with a test head, and without making it so that he couldnt see over the collar the hood always rose too high, so i resigned myself to this fact as sculpting a full face is tricky and im not comfortable with my attempts yet to put them on a model like this.

and after writing all of that my stupid ass brain just went "you should have tried an eldar/dark eldar/elf head"

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Dude their is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that head. Space Marines come in all shapes and sizes, there not all the same proportions. It always annoys me when people compare one thing to another and then say its wrong.

Judge something individually and on its own merits. Its like when people say "Yeah that film was crap, the book was so much better" absolute tosh. Did you enjoy the film? oh yes you did. Then shut up about the damn book.

Does this model look absolutely badass. Yes it does. Does the head look wrong or out of proportion. No it doesnt. So what the hell does it matter that it doesnt conform (by milimetres no less) to other miniatures.

I understand your drive to achieve the best results possible, cos I operate a similar way. But seriously dude spend your time and your (exceptional) talent elsewhere on the model. The head is fine.

No need to be rude Rhetoricus, Lorenzen is actually a friend of mine anyways, I made an observation that I felt was true, it does look cool, but it also does look a little off when compared to the normal marines that come in the squad it also does look a little off purely because it appears he has a very large upper head. The model does still look fantastic and I said as much, I also simply made an observation on the only negative I can see with the miniature.

That doesn't mean I'd expect lorenzen to change it, it's also quite possible that he'd already noticed (which as he stated, he did) but decided there was no better way to do it (which he's already also stated), it's a hard position to be in, and one I certainly face with reposing marines a lot.

Still, the model looks good, and I think using this head had achieved a better result than the original, and also a better result than an eldar/elf head would have. I know the bare head the kit comes with, as the exact same head comes with the mk4 captain model... it's tiny compared to the smaller metal heads and almost silly looking compared to plastic heads from standard marine kits.

to demonstrate how much smaller the new forgeworld head is:

gallery_14877_7805_66930.jpg

it's also actually smaller than the scout/imperial guard heads.

anyway... to un-derail the thread, Lorenzen, love the updated paintjob for the armour, much better.

I wasnt being rude. I was expressing an honest an genuine opinion of my own. You expressed displeasure with the head. I expressed displeasure with your opinion. Theres nothing personal going on here.

I apologize profously if I have caused any offence, and am a big fan of your work too Hamster. I just disagree with your assessment of the head.

Let me try to clarify (a little more tenderly :tu: )

If youd have said "I dont like the head, it looks too big" Theres no argument. Its a subjective thing. An opinion you are entitled to and should defend.

But saying its too big cos the others are smaller is like saying a duck is not right because its not a girraffe.

Again I apologize immensely for my last post.

Friends?

Edited by Rhetoricus

dont worry, i didnt think you were.. it was just one of those moments where you go "oh :cuss" when you think of a simple solution after doing the hard thing.

tbh im tempted to "recitfy" it by making the helmets side a little higher on the rest of the squad, though thats something ill get to when i get to it.. if i do.

to continue to derail my own thread, it bugs me that marine heads vary so much from metal/finecast - plastic, and that unfortunatley its bled over into forge world.. but then it bugs me that simon egan isnt in charge of all bare headed marines ever.. because his work > everyone elses.

the reason that the position of the others does have relevance is because the other heads are helmets, a helmet shouldn't sit lower on a model than a bear head, even a bear head with a hood on - at least thats my opinion. I guess I could've also noted that it looked to big, but felt my post was saying that much? I guess I also could've suggested how I'd attempt to resolve the 'issue' though I didn't think it was a big enough issue to need resolving, hence me not giving any suggestions on that front :)

the reason I took offense was because of the rather inflammatory way you worded it mate, but I'm guessing much as my view on the model was not aimed to be insulting, your post probably wasn't either. So yeah, friends! :)

Lorenzen, I apologize for the derailment of your thread, the miniatures are looking great, and maybe at some point I'll have enough models painted to have a game with you :)

Looking forward to seeing the Cataphracti sergeant finished.

edit:

My favourite bear heads are the blood angel ones and Simon Egan ones (raven guard) so far, the new forgeworld one looks to slim for a marine IMO, while it's detail is awesome.

Edited by Blindhamster

The head thing bugs me too, but I'm avoiding it in my attempt to achieve reverse truescaling - I'm using only warhammer (or smaller IG) heads on my marines, to make the armour seem considerably more bulky and imposing. Personally I think it tricks the eye nicely into making the marines seem considerably larger. (The other trick is to use RT IG, which are much shorter than the current IG and marines).

I do agree that the hood still seems a bit high (although point taken about marines of different height). I reckon if you shave a little of the bottom of the head, so the nose is less visible and the eyes are just above the rim, then trim down the top of the head, so the hood doesn't seem to go as high, you'll find the hood will look perfect (and we're all OCD about these things, right...?!). If you end up with the same amount of empty space around the top of the hood as you currently see at the sides, it'll match the helmets fine.

I actually detest bare heads. Why wear the most advanced armour in the galaxy only to get nailed between the eyes?

Then I look at your Avatar Lorenzen and I get it. I do have lysander on the go though, so I might be tapping you up for some advice on that front soon. Still gonna hollow out a termie helmet for him though.

the answer is simple, so you can look like a badass.. (watch ironclad for more details on looking like a badass without a helmet)

dont think of your models as realistic interpretations of themselves, they're the film versions, running around in big cloaks and piss all else ala 300.. except rather than wearing a loincloth and a helmet they went the other way.. commando and armoured up to the neck.

Yeah, but let's be honest, James Purefoy is pretty much badass no matter what he's doing. As a side note, Ironclad made me really want to do a Black Templar version of Brother Marshal. :rolleyes:

Dude, how did you do that scythe blade? By rubbing and buffing, do you mean to tell that it's a bare metal blade? I've seen similar techniques used on larger-scale white metal knight figures, but I've never thought about applying the technique to anything made by GW. And that grey looks ace, it manages to look very ethereal. I'm going to say that worrying over the head-problem is just going to drive you insane; it looks awesome as it is, I'd leave it. Ultimately your call, however.

rub n buff is a silver wax type product, you drybrush a tiny amount of it over your basecoat as a highlight. (in this case over alclad steel) the more you rub it the shinier it goes. its main use is for picture frames etc.

Done a bit more work on the cataphract sergeant, still a way to go with him, but im enjoying it so im keeping the updates flowing even if they are minor.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/283/b/2/selvayn_mors_by_typhion-d5he7nl.jpg

he has the tentative name of Selvayn Mors.. i should've asked about naming conventions for the death guard at gamesday as i generally am a little stumped.. most of the others are pretty easy to figure out.

*EDIT*

also, more dudes in the works.. one is based of a rapier crewman, the other just has a massive knife for stabbing loyalists with.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/283/e/1/more_dg_by_typhion-d5hecif.jpg

Edited by Lorenzen

That sergeant loosk awesome (though he does kinda look like what I imagine a loyalist Typhus to have looked like). Loing the colour scheme as well and the battle damage on them.

Can't wait to see more.

James

Excellent work. Regarding the unpainted terminator armour for the Death Guard, I've got a feeling it was due to it being so new they hadn't painted it yet. Not 100% though. Also all the legions originally had unpainted armour. The colours built up over time when certain things happened (started with the red hand for the Dusk Raiders).

typhus officially has unpainted steel/grey cataphract armour with his single horned helm & the big horse tail plume they used to have.. as well as a beard!

my knowledge on it was that the death guard had more than most legions because mortarion had them shipped with no paint, im just going to claim that this was the 1st batches of suits & later ones came painted or something similar at least

Loving what you're doing with the sarge, that scythe looks freakin' great, well-used but at the same time well-kept. Are you going to weather bronze/brass/gold trim? The one issue I have now is that it tends to get lost in the sepia-tones of the rest of the armor, and seems too clean.