The Fallen of Caliban - A Pre-Heresy Dark Angels Project

TheForgottenAngel

My fellow 1st Company,

This thread will be updated with the progress of my most ambitious endeavor. My goal is to create a Pre-Heresy Dark Angels army consisting entirely of Forge World models and a small portion of Dark Angels chapter upgrade kits. The entire army will be magnetized where applicable. However I want this to be more than just another picture thread and would like input from the Dark Angel community. Suggestions are welcome and will be heard. Without further introduction I introduce the first shipment from Forge World. Any characters you'd like to see converted, heraldry suggestions, help and fluff critiques or ideas etc are what I need. Especially paint schemes. I also would like to use the majority of this army for 40K purposes. I have some more money put aside to create a veteran squad or a command squad. Also I plan on using the Secret Weapon Flagstone bases for this army. so I can depict these soon to become Fallen on The Rock before they are cast throughout the Warp. Wish me luck! Pictures will be updated asap and completed WIP posted to this initial post for easy viewing!

ON WORKBENCH

MkIII Iron Armor: X30

MkII Crusade Armor: X10

Cataphractii Terminator Torso: X10

Cataphractii Powerfists and Storm Bolters: 2 Boxes

Cataphractii Special Weapons: 2 Boxes

Legion Jetbikes: X6 Bikes

Phobos Bolters: X20

Umbra Bolters: X10

Contemptor Dreadnaught

Relic Contemptor Dreadnaught

Legion Jetbikes: X6 Bikes

Plasma Cannon: X2

Clawed Powerfist: X1

Tartaros Pattern Terminators: X5

YET TO ARRIVE

Clawed Powerfist: X3

Lascannon: X4

Heavy Converion Beamer: X1

Tartaros Pattern Terminators: X5

---Advice Requested---

Paint Scheme For Standard Marines: Black with Boltgun Metal Trimming, Right Shoulder Painted Green w/ Heraldry, Order sword and wings painted red.

Paint Scheme For Terminators: Black with Boltgun Metal Trimming, Suggestions needed for epaulets (white, red, green, brown?)

Jetbikes: Suggestions needed (All black? Black with gold accents? add current Raven Guard banners to back? Two Tone Front Red/Black White/Black?)

ARMY LIST AS OF NOW (Suggestions welcome)

HQ

(Legion Praetor) Luther - Archaeotech Pistol, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo

(Moritat) Lord Cypher - Plasma Pistol, Bolt Pistol (Dual Plasma if legal), Artificer Armor, Powersword

Elite

Cataphractii Terminator Squad - Sergeant with Lightning Claws, Plasma Blaster + Power Sword, PowerfistsX3 Combi-weapons X3

Cataphractii Terminator Squad - Sergeant with Lightning Claws, Plasma Blaster + Power Sword, PowerfistsX3 Combi-weapons X3

Contemptor Talon - X2Twin Linked Lascannon, Extra Armor (Options to use Plasma CannonsX2, PowerclawX2 w/ plasma blasters, Conversion Beamer)

Contemptor Talon - X2Twin Linked Lascannon, Extra Armor ""

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad (9 Marines, 1 Sergeant)- Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Artificer Armor

Legion Tactical Squad (9 Marines, 1 Sergeant)- Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Artificer Armor

Fast

Jetbike Ravenwing Squadron (1 Sergeant, 2 Ravenwing Hunters) - Sergeant w/Power Sword, Plasma Cannon (Multimelta or Volkite options magnetized)

Jetbike Ravenwing Squadron (1 Sergeant, 2 Ravenwing Hunters) - Sergeant w/Powersword , Plasma Cannon ""

23956_10100485300640618_1641606180_n.jpg

Firstly, your bank manager must hate you ;)

Secondly, I'm very jealous!

Thirdly, if you are painting Luther and Cypher, then you've got to do Zahariel in flowing blue librarian robes, even if he doesn't make it into the army list! :huh:

Firstly, your bank manager must hate you :P

Secondly, I'm very jealous!

But FW love you ;)

looking forward to seeing your WIP as this progresses.

Paint Scheme For Standard Marines: Black with Boltgun Metal Trimming, Right Shoulder Painted Green w/ Heraldry, Order sword and wings painted red.

Sounds ok but before you fully commit to this try a couple of test models first.

Don't forget the helmet wings for Sgts (check mine out for ideas) ;)

Paint Scheme For Terminators: Black with Boltgun Metal Trimming, Suggestions needed for epaulets (white, red, green, brown?)

White may look a little like BT

Maybe go for a dark brown highlighted in light brown for an aged leather look (if by epaulets you mean the dangling strips from the pauldrons/waist)

Jetbikes: Suggestions needed (All black? Black with gold accents? add current Raven Guard - Raven wing? banners to back? Two Tone Front Red/Black White/Black?)

Try temp. fitting the RW feathered bike masts to the jetbikes and see how they look

White/black would be classic but not too much white - we are a somber bunch after all :huh:

Some Boltgun trim to match the rest of your scheme

If you're going with fluffy and it's after the events of Descent of Angels. For the Calabanite DA don't forget about right shoulder plate, where normally a Space Marine's organizational and rank markings would be painted are instead heraldry/symbol of knightly order they were from. Then other pauldron dark green beneath the Dark Angels symbol. Reference is Call of the Lion and I think it's stated elsewhere, too. Also if the Left pad is studs then the DA symbol would be on the right instead for Marines, any I think (Meaning even the Character guys. Fluff-wise.)

for the standard Marine you have what is basics only thing would be extra details. Sadly those won't be a while for direct shown examples... Darn you FW!!!

Thoughts/idea for Luther, one description is in Fallen Angels pg.12 3rd paragraph - top of pg. 13. If you don't have it it says his armor is Black & gold, close fitting Calabanite style rather than the larger, bulkier crusader-pattern favored by the Astartes. Has a combat shield (curved adamantite, with a Calabanite worm insignia,) on left. Right Pauldron with Green background with DA symbol. left hip Power Sword (Nightfall,) and other side old, well-worn pistol. Winged great helm and a heavy black cloak swirled about his feet. Modeling ideas.

All in all for the color ideas it all depends on how fluffy and what fluff. For models you are off to a great start! I would say most shoulder edges and what not probably go for gold accents. Deathwing probably brown for the cords/straps with bottoms gold.

Also so you know the Mk IV assaults seem to be slightly smaller than the normal Mk IVs and other Mk's. Could be used for Old Order Knights that couldn't be fully made Astartes and were a bit shorter than the Full Astartes. If that is a route of fluff-wise you are wanting to do.

I know that's a bit more than what you asked about and I hope at least some of it was helpful. If I think of or read of something else that may be helpful I will let you know.

I am glad to see more people committing to Pre/heresy armies, especially DA and I look forward to seeing what you do. I have been thinking about switching the ranged weapons back to silver for mine but I like the gold to mix things up a little. Currently I am planning on waiting to hard coat mine and see what all is done when they finally make the FW HH book that has DA in it but that may be awhile...

Fluff-wise I don't think fallen on Caliban would have terminator suits, I'm sure they would be better employed on the crusade instead of gathering dust on Caliban. The fact that Caliban was just recruit and their training officers also supports this claim. In any case a pre heresy army is a good reason to have those cool TDA suits. :P

I think this project sounds very cool, but one fluff thing to look at: Luther definitely wasn't a full Marine, and I'm not sure that the pre-Heresy Cypher was a full Marine either, if he was in fact the last member of the Knights of Lupus. That person seemed to be described as older than Zahariel, appeared before the arrival of the First Legion to Caliban, and didn't sound to be described as already a Marine.

He is actually qualified as an Astartes (pg 215), and he is described as a "young knight" (pg 214) at the time when he would have been recruited by the Order - quite like Zahariel and Nemiel at the time.

Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom and encouragement! I actually have a ton of the small Ravenwing mini icons I plan on chopping up and putting on the helms. I want this army to be very fluffy and after reading descent of Angels I will certainly add Zahariel as he is one of my favorite characters. I have 10 robbed DA torsos that I will be putting the pre-heresy arm bits and helms on. I'm thinking of using a bearded head from the space wolves line for Luther as well. Also as for the Cataphractii terminator armor issue I believe that every garrison had some sort of armament, especially one with plans to turn on its Primarch.

Now the new and improved paint schemes.

First issue is the Dark Angel icon color. Should it be red, white, black? In the pre-heresy books I've see in a few ways. Which one is more accurate?

Standard Marine: Black Armor, Dark Green shoulder pads w/ heraldry on right shoulder plate, gold/bronze trim on edges

Terminators: Black Armor w/ Gold edges. Brown straps/epaulets with gold ends.

Luther: Black with gold armor highlights, bolt pistol holster, scabard for sword, Combat shield (blank standard astartes verion w/ freehanded wyrm, suggests on wyrm appreciated), Space wolf bearded head, Robed or not robed? I have this set from FW (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/ASTERION_MOLOC_AND_IVANUS_ENKOMI_OF_THE_MINOTAURS.html) and the robes are detached so I can use them on Luther or Zahariel.

Zahariel: YOU DECIDE! :P

He is actually qualified as an Astartes (pg 215), and he is described as a "young knight" (pg 214) at the time when he would have been recruited by the Order - quite like Zahariel and Nemiel at the time.

In which book? In my copy of Descent of Angels, the only people described on those pages are Zahariel, Nemiel and Lord Sartana (who has grey hair and a silver moustache). That's Chapter 12 of my copy. In Fallen Angels on those pages, there's no descriptions of anyone.

Edit: I will say that I found a page that asserts Cypher definitely was a Marine pre-Heresy though: pg. 261, Fallen Angels: "Lord Cypher looked up from behind the Grand Master's desk, his hooded form bent over neatly-stacked data slates and copies of readiness reports. The enigmatic Astartes' square-jawed face betrayed no emotion at the Librarian's sudden arrival."

So there you go, Cypher was not a proto-/pseudo-Astartes like Luther was, he was definitely a full Astartes.

While I really like Zahariel, I really don't understand why everyone seems to want Zahariel to be a Fallen, considering all his actions, I don't think that he agreed to assist Luther after Luther basically declares Caliban's independence from the Imperium.

I think this project sounds very cool, but one fluff thing to look at: Luther definitely wasn't a full Marine, and I'm not sure that the pre-Heresy Cypher was a full Marine either, if he was in fact the last member of the Knights of Lupus. That person seemed to be described as older than Zahariel, appeared before the arrival of the First Legion to Caliban, and didn't sound to be described as already a Marine.

In which book? In my copy of Descent of Angels, the only people described on those pages are Zahariel, Nemiel and Lord Sartana (who has grey hair and a silver moustache). That's Chapter 12 of my copy. In Fallen Angels on those pages, there's no descriptions of anyone.

Edit: I will say that I found a page that asserts Cypher definitely was a Marine pre-Heresy though: pg. 261, Fallen Angels: "Lord Cypher looked up from behind the Grand Master's desk, his hooded form bent over neatly-stacked data slates and copies of readiness reports. The enigmatic Astartes' square-jawed face betrayed no emotion at the Librarian's sudden arrival."

So there you go, Cypher was not a proto-/pseudo-Astartes like Luther was, he was definitely a full Astartes.

While I really like Zahariel, I really don't understand why everyone seems to want Zahariel to be a Fallen, considering all his actions, I don't think that he agreed to assist Luther after Luther basically declares Caliban's independence from the Imperium.

It was in Fallen Angels. You might be meaning the old Cypher. The new Cypher was a youngin'. Also the supposed last Lupus knight was the guy who had tried to kill the Emperor. The one that Zahariel had stopped, stated in Fallen Angels before they go all ballistic on Israfael (pretty sure he was stated as being the last knight of lupus there.)

For fluff like I said some of the Knights ere to old, like Luther and they were slightly shorter than normal Astartes as they couldn't have the full procedure.

The Black wing and sword was from DoA and that was The Order. The cover shows them fighting others in PA which the Calabanites had PA but it wasn't the "same" as Astartes as theirs was much bigger and all that jazz. The cover on DoA is most likely The Order fighting the Knights of Lupus.

Until they state for certain in the FW HH books or if it states explicitly in a BL HH book, you can do either White wing & sword or Red wing & sword. They did an IA where it showed white but there are refences to having a red wing & sword on front of Armor/Surplice in BL HH book. Right now it's just a preference like how I went with rEd for mine.

First of all let me congratulate you for undertaking such an ambitious project! The miniatures are fantastic and the potential immense! ;)

---Advice Requested---

Ok, let's see:

The green shoulder trim may refer to Calibanite descendance. This was actually referred to in the "Call of the Lion" short story. The most recent depiction of a pre-Heresy Dark Angel was in the Index Astartes article a decade ago (or so) and there it was all black panoply with white Legion symbol. However RT era art was depicting DAs pretty much like "modern day" Consecrators - i.e with a red stripe on the helmet. Oh, and red Chapter symbol. It even had pictures with yellow borders on the red stripe to denote rank. So it's your call really... Both white and red symbols are "officially" depicted but the white version is more recent and frankly easier to acquire as decals.

Epaulets are a great way to personalise your Termies as there is no limitation on that front, and frankly I doubt any future FW publication will take a hard satnace on the matter. You can even use different colors to distinguish squads (Sergeant's colors) or have the same for all squads (Master's colors). As black is a very friendly color and can easily be combined with others to an effective result, I'd say any of the colors above will do nicely. You may even consider grey too...

Jetbikes: Suggestions needed (All black? Black with gold accents? add current Raven Guard banners to back? Two Tone Front Red/Black White/Black?)

My favortite new minis from FW! They offer large surfaces so you can do everything from falt black to elaborate free-hand! I personally would go easy on the gold - but that's just personal preference. A two-tone approach is certainly a nice and effective way to make a jetbike stand out but I'd reserve it for Sergeants and/or other officers. I'd also avoid the Ravenwing-style banners (that's what you mean by Raven Guard I assume). If nothing else they'd spoil the line of the jetbike... they'd sort of look out of place. Although to be fair, background wise it could be justified (RW pre-dated the Legion so the traditions might have survived). So again it's down to personal taste.

I sure look fwd to see how this project will turn out. Good luck! :tu:

Hey all I've just started assembly on this mass amount of resin soldiers. There is a ton of flash and slightly off cast pieces I'm sanding down flush at the moment which is taking longer than expected. Keep the suggestions rolling in and my goal is to have two test models done with Gold trim and Silver trim so that you can decide which looks more Dark Angel-esque. Also for the Terminator epaulets I think I may do alternating colors (White/Green, Gold bottoms/buttons) which will break up the black nicely. I may do them Red and white though as well or solid red. I really like the idea of Red chapter symbols as they feel more pre-heresy.

Fallen can have terminator armor; for some time after the split, the Fallen would have still been receiving shipments from Mars, at least those in the pipeline before Horus kicked off the civil war.

Fallen Angels- read the report of Z. He lists terminator armor on the manifest, and another Dark Angel informs him they aren't making the transfer, but keep it and the legionaries.

Hey brothers! I have two marines assembles and primed for test model purposes! Thanksgiving has been a busy time for the family so expect an update soon! With the upcoming Dark Anfrls codex I'm going to focus on the standard marines first and see what can transfer to the new codex with the 30k universe. Hopefully kill two birds with one stone so to speak! Once the Jetbikes arrive and the secret weapon bases this project will kick in to high gear. My goal is 1 full unit a week. The Contemptors and terminators will be magnetized with all main options so be on the lookouts for those!

Well I think that's fantastic! I got a jetbike myself - am a huge fan!!!!

I think you should seriously consider joining the Path to Redemption - with all these FW stuff I think the 6 pearls are definately within your reach!

Can't wait for pics!!!

I have settled on a paint scheme for the bikes! I saw this and thought with minor modifications this will be a great color scheme for ravenwing.

I have decided to do the Jetbikes and Contemptors first as the new DA codex is coming out I'd like to try to play this force with the new dex. As of now all TH bikes are built and I'm waiting on ravenwing wing bikers for a slight conversion.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-p5DancI1wSw/UJPbDQD_usI/AAAAAAAAAHc/M2e1lS3Al94/s1600/carcharodons%20scimtar%20jetbike%20forge%20world%207.JPG

320659_10100496455017158_265364643_n.jpg

577900_10100496894426578_70943195_n.jpg

Sergeants bike, possibly adding these to all of the bikes plus some of the Ravenwing bits with the flowing parchment and purity seals.

29345_10100496894341748_1986344618_n.jpg

Archived