Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

Good luck on the painting.

For the name ... I couldn't find names for characters in your army other than Mister Tumnus, so I'm not sure what sort of ethnic flavour you want for your names. You could go with something else Narnia inspired. I think that a title going with the name would work. It's a shrine world, with a feudal flavour so ... thinking of some Medieval cognomen, Robin Hood was the Prince of Thieves. King Richard I was the lionheart. I'm having a hard time thinking of others.

What is the fluff behind your Marbo? Is he like the codex Marbo, a regular soldier who's gone a bit crazy and is a loner? Or is he something else ... a local duke's huntsman who's become deadly in combat from experience hunting Chaos-tainted creatures? A lord's bodyguard who's on a one-man crusade for redemption after his master was killed (gives me an idea for a name like X, the unredeemed)? This might help you come up with some ideas.

Thank you very much for the responses.

It's not necessarily a name for my Marbo, a name for the piece itself (him stalking) would do.

I feel 'Eye of the Tiger' is a little too cliched. :D

'The Tiger of Kai', now that is interesting! I'd never heard that name for Shingen. At least year's GD Nippon some people put the names of their entries in both English and Japanese. If I went with 'The Tiger of Kai' I could have the Japanese saying 'Tiger of Planet Kai', make it seem like a nickname he had earned. Then again he doesn't look at all like Shingen, and is a sneaky git rather than a general. Hmm.

As for Kierdale's World's theme, yes, it is a feudal image, though perhaps trying to show that through this piece would be pushing it. The model doesn't have any feudal elements (being a Necromunda ganger painted up almost Catachaneqsue). When I do get to naming the units and characters of the army (for my own satisfaction rather than for the GD) then I'll need to put some thought to his name. X the Unredeemed, X the Wanderer, X the Wraith...

I spoke with a Japanese friend and I think I'm going to go with a simple "Young Marbo" in stencil font. After all, the mini's leaner and younger looking than the official Marbo.

Anyway, here are some WIPs of the base:

gallery_63428_6758_72271.jpg

gallery_63428_6758_28649.jpg

med_gallery_63428_6758_68564.jpg

In the last picture I've undercoated and put a basecoat down in the area that will be a small waterfall (to the left of the photo) feeding into a small stream across the base. I'll be inking it heavily to darken it, painting the stones in it (and perhaps adding a little rust powder to hint at iron content). To the right you can see a cork block in which I tested the Water Effect I bought. Good stuff though I'm nervous using it for the first time on a competition model. I also, for a test, sprinkled some oregano onto the Water Effect. I think it looks good as fallen leaves and might add a bit to the final base.

The base itself is going to get a heavy brown basecoat on all areas but for the stream, the rocks will be picked out in grey and a lot of foliage will be added. Moss for low grassy plants, some tall grass and perhaps some bulrush/cattails by the stream.

There will also be a fallen tree on the opposite side to Marbo himself.

To give the piece a bit of story I'll be putting some blood drops on the ground, perhaps a bit splattered (not overly) on high grass (some of which will be trampled down) and perhaps a bloody handprint on the fallen tree to show the flight of Marbo's quarry.

Now some photos of Marbo I took earlier last week. Bear in mind these are WIP :wink:

med_gallery_63428_8145_18987.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_11263.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_29441.jpg

Going to be a busy week!

Thanks, WarriorFish.

It's probably the first time I've tried doing a 'real' camo scheme (in this case Tiger Stripe) on a mini. I think it came out alright.

Marbo is now finished but for his glasses and weathering powders.

The base got its mud yesterday. Base, shading and highlights. After painting the stones I want to hit it with weathering powders too (particularly sand in the stream, and some wet and dry mud powders. Thank you Tamiya!).

Then I'll do the waterfall and stream (not looking forward to that!) and finally vegetation: Mordheim turfs, tall grass, bulrushes/cattails and moss. Oh, and fallen leaves! Then the fallen tree and finally blood.

There'll be plenty of high grass but I'll be careful how I position it. I don't want it obscuring Marbo since this is supposed to be showing him off. Perhaps keeping it in the foreground and behind him.

Maybe you could have the foliage removable? :P Sounds like he's coming along very nicely but that only leaves the question: where are the pictures? You can't tell us how well it's going and not show us! :lol:

I can and I shall! :P

Actually I just left the office and he's in my drawer.

Marbo is complete...but I'm still not happy with his knife. I can't get a metallic look that I'm happy with, and I'm not about to start experimenting with NMM at this stage, so tomorrow I'm going to be -very- carefully scraping the paint off the blade and redoing it black, highlighted grey and scratched with silver. I figure a sneaky killer like Marbo's not going to have a shiny knife that could give him away with a reflection.

Other than that he's completely done. Medical bandage soaked in dark green paint then dry brushed a lighter green came it fantastically as camo netting (this I do wish I could show you a photo of right away). I'll be trying some bigger sections, perhap with some moss snaking across it, for tank camo netting that can be added/removed as necessary.

Just his blade and the base to go.

Base needs the rocks shading then it's onto powders and plants.

I promise I'll post something image-wise tomorrow, okay? :)

Edited by Kierdale

Your wait is at an end.
Work on the piece, however, is not.
Still to do:
tall grass
Bulrushes/cattails
Fallen/dead tree
Moss (both on the base and draping down the sides where it's black)
Fallen leaves
Blood trail

And I decided upon a title for the piece "Young Marbo - Unfinished Business" (this will be on a black wooden column the base stands atop).

Onto the photographs (taken quickly before putting him back in the desk and clocking off at the end of the day).

med_gallery_63428_8145_9812.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_27061.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_68026.jpg

A Demon winner? Perhaps not, but I learned a lot and got to practice some new stuff while making this, so I'm happy.

Thanks again, WarriorFish.

I got it finished late last night. After adding grass, fallen tree, blood trail and a lot of leaves.

I've taken some photos but don't want to post them until after the Golden Demons tomorrow.

I'll be posting the photos of everyone's entries over the next few days (in the GD Japan thread), and will put some of the completed `Young Marbo` here.

Well, one teaser...

med_gallery_63428_8145_314564.jpg

Edited by Kierdale

No Demon this year, unfortunately :smile.:

And I took so many photos today that my camera's battery died. I'll have to start the editing and uploading tomorrow.

In IG-related news I do have a chimera and (Empire) pistoliers inbound this week for my birthday. I'll be nice to get back to painting models for pleasure and at a leisurely pace. :smile.:

At last, some photos of my completed `Marbo`:

med_gallery_63428_8145_100332.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_273564.jpg

One showing the tattoo...

med_gallery_63428_8145_409126.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_17884.jpg

The lense of his ripper pistol's scope

med_gallery_63428_8145_267778.jpg

And on the base...

med_gallery_63428_8145_520053.jpg

Here you should be able to make out the blood trail he's following, from the right of the base (the first drop is behind him), across his own base, to the other side of the stream (blood on the tall grass), a bloody hand print on the tree where his target jumped over it, and lastly a bit of blood in the clump of grass on the other side.

med_gallery_63428_8145_206829.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_966060.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_128721.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_218449.jpg

One showing the far side of the stream, where his enemy must have ran through, bloody brushed off onto the tall grass to the sides, and left a bloody hand print on the fallen tree.

med_gallery_63428_8145_954983.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_217774.jpg

And a last one showing the column of the base.

med_gallery_63428_8145_755051.jpg

Great job Kierdale!

@WarriorFish: I experience the same. But much worse than new model syndrome is "The Grey Curse". Anytime I've fielded something unpainted it's performance has been comically bad AND has continued thus even after painting. So I NEVER field unpainted minis anymore.

Thank you very much, Leinmann.

I do thoroughly enjoy making bases and dioramas, but there's the matter of storage space (a premium in a Japanese apartment!). If I do a diorama for next year's GD (either an actual diorama or Armies on Parade) then it might not be Imperial Guard as I think I need to do an entry that is a bit more colourful, something that will `pop` as they say. Troops camouflaged to fit the terrain they're on doesn't work so well...

...then again we'll have to see what new IG toys we get with the new Codex next year, won't we? :wink:

Fighting off the `blessing` of Papa Nurgle at the moment, but managed to get a bit started on a new Chimera my parents gave me for my birthday last week.

Decided to have a bit of fun with the crew member in the turret.

On my first chimera I put the backpacks with the mug hanging from the side of the APC, thus:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8417910429_e7420c82b5.jpg

...and I wanted to use that mug again, but make it more visible.

I'm making this second chimera as a command vehicle (CCS transport, basically) and so it will be a little fancier, so I decided to have the 'tank' commander holding a mug of tea and smoking.

The cup itself needs a bit of GS work (adding the handle at the top and bottom of his hand) and he will have a cigarette in his left hand (or if I can get it to fit, a Dwarf Thunderer's smoking pipe).

But what I'm undecided upon is the head...

First one: shades.

med_gallery_63428_8145_24944.jpg

Second: "Stop driving over bumps! You're making me spill my bloody tea!"

The only problem being I used this head already on my other Chimera. Not a big problem, but...

med_gallery_63428_8145_33908.jpg

Third: a bit of the feudal flavour of the Shrineworld here, and a bit fancy, since it's a command chimera. Plus: that 'tache!!

med_gallery_63428_8145_103800.jpg

Four: Aquila helm for even more of a command-look. A fine moustache and an even better beard.

med_gallery_63428_8145_46240.jpg

The right hand looks short in the angle of the above photos, but it's actually fine. For reference here's another angle:

med_gallery_63428_8145_51824.jpg

So my question is: which head do I use? :smile.: