Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

I'm liking that rough rider! Perhaps... leave him as is (headless and all)? Name him Ichabod the Saint--He who only shows up in times of great duress for the Shrineworld to smite the enemies of the Emperor!

And for that meltagun, I agree. removing that little bit of resin would greatly help the transition from resin gun to plastic gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Three WIP shots of the command chimera.

Still to do:

working on the commander's helmet, pipe, mug, medals, etc

cleaning up the white on the HK missile

Vision blocks (either do them the same as my other chimera, Russ and medusa...or try to do them better and redo the other chimera, Russ and medusa...)

Searchlight

Shield to be painted up and put on the right side of the turret, as per all other Kierdale's World armour

...and finally a lot of Tamiya Weathering Powders to dirty it up.

med_gallery_63428_8145_40938.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_101118.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_105587.jpg

I'm not sure how visible it is on these photos take with my mobile's cam but for the sponged-on weathering I first did a very dark grey, then Leadbelcher within that, gave both a black wash, then added -in some places but not all- a final scratch with Mithril. I like it more than the weathering I did on my older armour (just sponging on Leadbelcher then washing it). When time permits (:pinch: ) I'll go back and redo the weathering on the other armour.

Hope to have it all finished in a week or two.

Thanks, gents.

The Chimera is almost finished. Just doing the shield for the side of the turret now, then I'll be waiting for my new technical paints. Corrosion and rust. Chimera may be amphibious and are probably coated with anti-rusting paint...but this is the 41st millennium.

Tamiya powders and then it's done.

After that...

How about you choose which I finish off:

Rough riders

Squat snipers

Shotgun veterans

Plasma command squad (with plumed rough rider helmets and GS'd breastplates to match the CCS officer)

Mortar HWS

Redo my other armour's vision blocks and weathering

What do you say?

A Guardsman's army is never complete! :P By the time you finish (if at all) it's time to start from the beginning with the improvements you picked up along the way! :lol:

Good to see there's still plenty more to come, I vote for mortars! Will you be trying out the new fancy paints? I'm keen, especially for adding weathering as they could be what I've been "waiting" for, that and an easier way to apply blood. I just can't find the time for anything lately though :(

A Guardsman's army is never complete! :P By the time you finish (if at all) it's time to start from the beginning with the improvements you picked up along the way! :lol:

Oh yes, I've noticed that a lot recently!

Yes, I'll be using the fancy new paints. I ordered Corrosion, Rust, Oxide and Earth. I think the first two will be great for roughing up my armour.

Okay, so far that's one vote for the squat snipers and one for mortar teams... I think I'll keep the voting open until the Chimera is finished.

I've been hearing good things, so I'll be very interested to see how they turn out. I've been poking weathering methods for a while but not had the time to properly investigate to find a method I like so I'm hoping that these new paints can sort it for me. That and the blood one, that sounds almost too good to be true for my Marines!

I'll mark up one vote for the plasma command squad then, Walter. :)

WarriorFish, I've still got a pot fairly full of Tamiya Clear Red. That plus Nuln Oil give me a good, dark (variable, in fact) blood colour that gets nice and tacky as it tries too (good to stipple it as it dries)...I might try BotBG in the future though. Itching to get my hands on those new paints!

Snipers: I

Plasma command: I

Mortars: I

Riders: I

If it comes down to a tie then I'll go with what's needed for my 1,000 point list (mortars and plasma).

Over on the Boot Camp's year-long challenge (ran by yours truly) I vowed to complete the command chimera by the end of the year, so I'll be trying out those paints soon! Hope to get them next week.

I think I forgot to mention that I at first tried doing lenses like Elmo does his, but ended up doing something a bit different. Much redder (thanks to Tamiya Clear once more). I like how it turned out and will try to post photos soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The chimera is all but done. I should be picking up my order of the new technical paints this Saturday then I can get it finished over the weekend. Final photos on Monday, if He Upon The Golden Throne wills it.

I've also been working a little on both the plasma command squad and rough riders (since both use Empire Pistolier parts). Really enjoying putting the riders together. So much that I think I'll have to make a second squad, unless they're completely awful on the next codex (can they be worse than they currently are?).

And I decided on buying a Valkyrie with Vendetta conversion kit for myself for Xmas...and perhaps some parts to make an =][= or two...

Thank you!

I haven't yet encountered any great scale problems. Putting some Necromunda minis in a squad alongside Catachans is a greater stretch!

As for the Valk/Vend'...

I'd love to have two flyers to be honest as I can't decide on a colour scheme...one done in matt black/very dark grey -stealth-like - with the canopy painted Tamiya Clear Red...and the other done with the top brown/green camo (thinking WWII British camo. Spitfires, Lancasters...) and the underside light sky blue...

A Messerschmitt Bf 109-style yellow nose is also very tempting but probably wouldn't go with either of the above schemes (and with yellow as my command colour, too...).

I do plan to magnetise the armament (FW tells me my Valkyrie/Vendetta conversion kit is now in the post!)...including -if possible- the heavy bolter door gunners. Additionally I have the Apoc datasheet for 'Steel Eagle' Colonel Paseski's command Valkyrie, which has a pair of master snipers instead of door gunners. So I hope to make a pair of snipers who can be swapped in. Not that I get to play Apoc much!

Oh, and I'd love to do someone rappelling or jumping out the back. :)

As for beards...I don't know about that. I'll have to see what the heads that come with the kit are like. I think I need to put in at least a moustache.

Anyway, back to my riders. I need to get this polo mallet juuust right...

Edited by Kierdale

Thanks for the information, WarriorFish.

I'll see what bearded/moustached heads I have. I think there's at least one left in my Pistoliers kit that I haven't used, and I'll check the heads I have from Empire handgunners and cannon crew.

The chimera crewmember with the 'tanker' quilted hat might look appropriate too.

Will have to wait until I have the Valk' kit and can try some heads on it to be sure. :)

Okay,here it is.

Left side.

I actually finished the model Sunday evening but -around 5am Monday morning after going back to bed after a nappy change (not mine!)- thought it lacked something: scribblescript. So I added some (also to my Scythes rhino over in their thread soon) and am happier.

med_gallery_63428_8145_532703.png

A close-up showing some of the scribblescript on the side panel, missile and you can see a bit on the turret in the background. You can also see some of the muck collected on the hull (thanks to Typhus Corrosion and Tamiya weathering powders). Here and there some Typhus Corrosion dribbling down the hull too. A little Ryza rust in places too.

med_gallery_63428_8145_1260112.png

med_gallery_63428_8145_511208.png

Right side.

med_gallery_63428_8145_1335396.png

The commander.

med_gallery_63428_8145_217147.png

Another of him, and it shows the turret's vision block better.

med_gallery_63428_8145_960696.png

The chimera's shield. Blue for support - as all my armour is, yellow for command, and some red in there as it's an Infantry command vehicle. The golden laurels also indicate command...an image I intend to include when I get around to doing a Kierdale's Shrineworld version of Creed (who'll need a beard too, naturally).

med_gallery_63428_8145_400794.png

Bottles of plonk...and a lot of dirt.

med_gallery_63428_8145_1125815.png

Front shot.

med_gallery_63428_8145_514782.png

Rear vision blocks and damage on the dorsal hatch.

med_gallery_63428_8145_1004878.png

If/when I do get another Chimera I don't think I'll model it with the lasguns, but instead put stowage on the back, and would like to put some armour around the turret (akin to a Panzer, which mark escapes me now. Though perhaps that would be better suited to a Russ).

Edited by Kierdale