2023 Objectives for the Blood Angels

• Finish Indomitus Marines before the new edition of 40k
    • Captain
    • Judiciar
    • Ancient
    • 5x Assault Intercessors
  • Paint SM Heroes Terminator Models (9 models)
  • Finish Land Raider Excelsior
  • Start/Expand Heresy Blood Angels Army
    • Zephon
    • 10 Assault Marines
    • BA Contemptor
    • Sanguinius (Stretch Goal)

That's 31 Models, including finishing off one tank, but including the Great Angel himself. The BA will by vying with my Alpha Legion for attention for the first part of the year as I have a 3k Heresy event at WHFest to prepare for, however the Indomitus models are priority #1 as I promised myself that I'd finish painting a starter set before the next edition of the game was released for the first time ever. 

Doing a quick tot-up of Blood Angels Models completed in 2022...not that many!

Nikolaj the Redeemed

Chaplain Grigori

Flesh Eaters Intercessors

Leviathan Dreadnought

omega marine

I'll get photos of the whole lot soon. 

Edited by Xenith

On 1/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Majkhel said:

This bright scheme ticks all the right checks for me :biggrin:
Versy nice bases too!

Thanks! I'm having fun with the rusty basing and they compliment the bright marines well.

I havent added to my Battlescribe list of finished BA in a while, so I thought I'd open the doc now the Munitorum point changes have gone live:

image.png.df77036079204bdf9bc14f61e2299a4d.png

I think I was on over 13k last time I checked this, so that's a good ~1000pts of free wargear and point drops that the marines have just received, after I added in the intercessor squad, primaris chaplain, redemptor and Leviathan. 

Edited by Xenith

image.thumb.png.05b95ec59cf91f89a19635017e59d707.png

So on Jan 15th 2023, this topic turned 10 years old! That's older than all my friends kids, so I think we can say I've worked a lot longer and harder on this than they have, that's how this works, right? Honestly, it's been a labour of love collecting, painting and playing with the Blood Angels, and now various Successor Chapters, but one done gladly as the Blood Angels are the best Chapter, with the richest, deepest and most tragic backstory. 

I think over the decade I've managed to share most, if not all of my Blood Angels, however I did only start this Blog in 2013, while I actually started collecting Blood Angels as my first army back in...1999? So there's a whole decade of poorly painted models that have since likely been repainted that haven't seen the light of day. Even then, it's probably only a couple of thousand points, as in my youth and at uni I really struggled to paint and highlight stuff, more finding the time and motivation more than anything.

That brings me to my last point, and thing to be thankful for - all you wonderful people that make up the B&C. Pre-2010 I was on a whole bunch of forum sites, Relic, Dakka, BoLS, maybe even Warseer and some others, however once a friend, @skinkintroduced me to the B&C that was it, I basically didn't bother with the others, and set up home here. It took me a while to get blogs going, but once I did, the joy of sharing my work, and the awesome comments and feedback from frater has spurred me on to painting more, and faster, to get me to where I am today: with a whole bunch of painted minis and a thriving hobby-life. So thanks to all of you for the motivation and encouragement over the years, to the frater who are here today, those B&C members that have been and gone, perhaps leaving the hobby as times and lifestyles changed (hopefully uou come back some day as dreadnoughts), and to the new people joining the hobby every day (welcome, and thanks for looking in!). 

One of the things that I love about this site is the tagline: "Humanity Resplendant" it's so evocative, and true - we can represent the best of the hobby and present that to the world - keep on with the positivity and constructive comments, and supporting one another in this wonderful weird game of toy soldiers.

Xen

On 1/19/2023 at 9:13 AM, Rhavien said:

You are one of the board members that keep me inspired to build and paint

That means a lot to me, so thank you :blush: Similarly, I've been inspired and motivated by the countless others on here with awesome armies, and it's nice to hear that I've been able to do the same for others :)

That 13k was painted only, it would be cool to see what you have! I need to get a photo of all my painted BA to go with the 2022 painted photo! 

On Monday I managed to get a training game in with a friend from my local club that's not had a game in a while, and is relatively new to the hobby, but an awesome sculpter and painter. He was using his lovingly converted death guard, and I decided to wheel out my primaris to test out the new point changes. 

We played a scenario I just made up - an unexploded viral muntion was located in a manufacturing zone, having been launched from orbit, not detonating then destroying the factory area. The Death guard want to claim the bomb to mutate the lifeeater for the glory of Nurgle, while the Marines want to stop the chaos marines from getting their hands on the virus. 

No objectives, the player with the most wounds worth of models within 6" of the bomb at the end of the game wins. 

1000pts Red Scar Crusade

Mephiston - quickening, shield, wings

5 assault intercessors (using reivers)

5 Intercessor Squad Trajan - ABR's + thunder hammer

5 Incursors

Redemptor w/ plasma and onslaught

3 bladeguard

3 outriders

3 eradicators, mm

3 eliminators

1000pts Death Guard

Lord of virulence - helmet

Sorcerer - skull

5 blight lords

2x7 PM's, champ with fist and plasma, launcher, spewer, flail, 3x bolters

18 cultists

2x1 blight hauler

3x spawn, grandfathers gifts for +1T (!)

The Blood Angels Succesors of the Red Scar Crusade. 

large.IMG20230116195446.jpg.0dd0cf13801fb063b28eb90a88f31066.jpg

The Lord of Death's first tabletop outing.

large.IMG20230116195457.jpg.0d5f32fcabdf216cf1059c8d944aaada.jpg

Mehpiston strategises how to get to the bomb with his retinue. 

large.IMG20230116202051.jpg.8149153069d86394aeba2243753840f5.jpg

Deployment

large.IMG20230116202232.jpg.bd2e9a8ab835ee678669e41cef90f961.jpg

large.IMG20230116202236.jpg.6908d2eebb06b0290aef42d3d51e422f.jpg

large.IMG20230116202240.jpg.898ac9b9c03045477fc368c10a0ea1a6.jpg

Death guard deployment top to bottom: Hauler;  PMunit 2; sorcerer;  PM unit 1; hauler; cultists. The blightlords and the lord stayed in reserve to deep strike, despite my suggestion they'd be better on the table.

I won the rolle for first turn, and moved stuff up, spreading out a bit to deny the terminators a deep strike. Bikers and incursors shot the cultists, who then all died to bolt fire and morale. The redemptor overcharged and shot at the lower hauler, getting 5 shots and rolling 3 ones, one rerolled, but 2 mortals right off. 3 wounds go through one saves for 4 damage. Not great. 

large.IMG20230116202250.jpg.3920979eed7e61d43c7eff9d10cafc60.jpg

All the death guard move forwards a bit to get to the objectives, both haulers move within 24" of the redemptor and can just about draw LOS. They both put all their firepower into it, taking it to 3W. I should have stayed at range, or only just now I realised I could have put shield of Sanguinius on it instead of mephiston. 

My turn 2, realistically, I should have hung back and only commited near the end, however we were going for cinematic. The bladeguard advanced to within range of the objective, meph went with them, stuff advanced. The redemptor managed to get the hauler down to 1w. The outriders bolter the spawn and do little, then charge and kill one,. Spawn attack back and do 2w. 

DGT2 The haulers kill the dread, Terminators drop in and pour fire into the BG's. lots of stuff also shoot the bladeguard who also get smote, and droped to 1 remaining who is then charged by PM1. The spawn roll extra attacks, I fail 3 saves and 2 outriders die. Plaguemarines fail to kill the last bladeguard, who does a wound back. Uh oh. 

large.IMG20230116214213.jpg.c7e416d2bf5959c870728a51fa1e15ba.jpglarge.IMG20230116214229.jpg.aa944459276a24e27f99079fddc073be.jpg

BAT3 The outrider serge falls back toward the sorcerer, all my stuff moved toward the centre, eradicator shooting kills the unhurt blight hauler, other shooting and a charge from the assault intercessors kills the wounded one. Meph quickens and wades in, now in assault doctrine, getting 9 attacks and killing 3 plague marines outright. 

DGT3 Magic sorcerer kills some stuff and the extra mortal kills the outrider serge, everything shoots and meph and he dies, PM2 charges the assault intercessors, killing two, they fight back (5A each in assault) and kill two right back! These guys are actually pretty awesome. Spawn charge the incursors, killing a couple, 1w spawn dies.

After T3, it was already late due to lots of chatting and book checking so we called it there - 25 wounds within 6" to maybe 12. Death guard win! 

large.IMG20230116225644.jpg.a611159a46cee74877a7c7e68a27d375.jpglarge.IMG20230116230418.jpg.e38b00141f6e19c33c5afa63047e0598.jpglarge.IMG20230116230641.jpg.af37b419a35e82f8861ff59e11de75df.jpg

I have to say that the assualt intercessors did really well there, they kick out so many damn attacks, even when charged they pulled their weight just about. The redemptor let me down, but that was dice, and so did meph - 3 dead PM. He needs another point drop maybe or a flat 3 damage on the sword, or at least D3+1. Spawn are still star performers in my eyes, 4A AP-2 D2 is just mad, and then S5 makes them stone cold marine killers. The CSM ones that regenerate are even more bonkers. 

The incursors did little. I don't see a place for them in the list now that infiltrators are a reasonable price - they're out infiltrated by infiltrators and eliminators, outshot by intercessors and out meleed by intercessors (with free thunder hammer) and assault intercessors. A complete 180 from a month ago where they were maybe the best choice. I can't wait to try out an actual assault intercessor unit with thunder hammer/fist. They'l' be ace. 

Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...

Quick family photo of all the Blood Angels and Successors I managed to paint last year: Shockingly not so many - as said, between getting ym TS tournament ready, the release of the Eldar codex, a Bug's Life and plastic Heresy pretty much wrote my entire painting year for me! All the other armies ahev family photos in their respective topics in my sig, check them out!

large.IMG20230204163002.jpg.53616a0780f08b9197fefe7bacb65132.jpg

The Leviathan is in no way finished, it needs basing, transfers and weathering yet, but it's pretty much tabletop ready. 

• 1 month later...

I've started up a blog! If this feature had been available when I started with the B&C, I probably would have made this thread as a blog instead, but better late tha never. I'm also aware of trying not to cannibalise content for my BA PLog to put on the blog, so I'm thinking maybe painting and army progress here, then battle reports there? This will still be the main home for my BA though. My smaller Xenos logs can probably be entirely relocated to the blog.

Anyway, I had a game with my BA against chaos knights this week, and it didn't go well....

12 hours ago, sarabando said:

straight form Valrak himself. 

image.png.fb5e6c62ed91ccab1ad09c71bdb55874.png

PRIMARIS DANTE! 

I'm pretty excited for this, considering the lacklustre model support BA have had since...2014? I guess we had Mephiston as a book tie-in? The mask is a bit iffy and primarified, but overall I'm a fan, and will be picking one up to lead the Red Scar Crusade. 

I've been working on a small HH squad of BA veterans, and trying to work more black and brass/gold into the scheme. The sergeants head is missing as it's been primed separately, needs painting and glueing on, but these guys are almost done bar the basing and decals. 

large.IMG20230316213459.jpg.405b2da3495231f7cff87022bb6148fc.jpg

Not wanting the BA to languish, I've finally put together some 9th ed relevant meta units, some death company intercessors and a death co with jump pack and thunder hammer, managed to get them primed also, hopefully it'll be a quick paintjob, same drybrushing technique I used on the chaplain. 

So looking at all the cool models that we see in the 10th ed trailer, here's what we might be getting:

Terminator captain

Terminator Librarian

1st Co/Phobos Veteran Lt with combi weapon

1st Co veterans with Heavy bolter

Fire support squad with flamers (pyroblastors?

3 man TDA unit with serge, asscan and normal guy

Gravis Apoc

Hellfire Redemptor

Nids

Brain bug (Norn Emissary)

Screamer Killer

Biovores

Mouth tentacle monster thing (redesigned haruspex, or something else?)

Hormagaunts

Lictor

Flying Warrior (shrike?)

That's a lot more stuff to paint! 

Edited by Xenith