Great Unclean One

3 mastery level for biomancy and 2 greater rewards.

The deep strike depends on the opponent i guess. If your enemy is Daemons or tyranids you might want to have him early on to maybe draw some fire.

Against opponents that will come towards you even though you have little shooting the GUO could be in assault position at the same time as if you deep strike him so just giving one more target may be a good idea.

I have also deployed him against orks but it was a nob heavy Ork army with only a single loota unit and a dakkajet for serius shooting.

Thank you guys. Three quite different opinions. I think I'd be inclined to run him slightly on the cheaper side - I think perhaps it's easy to get carried away and pour too many points into him. 

Well I don't know what others are doing but besides weapons and armor, there isn't any real way or reason to model the various gifts on your GUO so you can always scale him depending on the point level of the game. Smaller games, keep him cheap and grow him as the point values increase.

I've only had one game with him so far, went for level 3 psyk (1 Nurgle/2 Biomancy) and 2 GR. Was playing a fast moving Dark Angels force so went for the DS - sadly he contrived to roll ridiculously badly and didn't appear until the 5th turn, scattering so that he wasn't in range of anything. =(

However...we went to a 6th, he managed to just get within range of his powers and took the last wound off an attack bike. As we were playing the Scouring, the FA.gif attack bike went from holding a 2 pt objective, which would have won the game for my opponent, to giving me a VP and the win.

Go Papa Nurgle! =)devil.gif

I used the Herald the first couple of times I played, but then dropped him - I've found that my Plaguebearers (I run a mixed god army) invariably end up on sitting on a backfield objective and therefore have very little direct impact on the battle, meaning the Herald is a waste of points and I am better going for a Herald of Tzeentch and/or Slaanesh.  I think they have a role in a mono-Nurgle army, with the granting of FNP useful for further surivability, but they don't really do any role particularly well.

Cool. I'd be interested to hear other people's successes and failures with the GUO actually. In fact I'd like to open out the discussion to Nurgle Heralds as well. How do you guys get on with them? 

While I haven't used him, I don't know if he's worth it most of the time.

Consider the typical Herald will run you 70 points. Yes that gets you FnP but those points would also get you another 7 plaguebearers and without running all of the numbers, my feeling is that the extra bodies would be more durable to most shooting.

I have used the nurgle herald a few times. Taking him only for FnP is not worth it i believe but it is a good way to bring some mastery levels.

If you put him on a 20 man plaguebearer squad with a ridden and a banner you can have a unit that could cost around 320 points (with powers, FnP and reward on the herald) and get a very durable and quite strong scoring unit with ether blades and anti tank abilities to fight all kind of threats.

It has no speed however and will be most effective at taking objectives at middle field and threatening units that try to come your way. Probably not the best choice for a monogod because for nurgle only you need speed wherever possible so the troops should probably stay on the back to give room for faster choices.

The GUO with Biomancy can be terrifying and near impossible to kill. Always, always worth it.

But just like the Riptide, people are going to ignore it instead of trying to kill it. And unlike the Riptide, you lack any significant ranged firepower or the speed to force the opponent to deal with you.

That's my main concern with the GUO.

• 2 weeks later...

Granted it's ideal, but a T8, 3+ inv, FNP, monstrous creature generally just makes people shoot other things. This, naturally, allows the fatty to get into combat. Only poison stuff ever shoots at them, which is never in high amounts.

I ran GUO w/ ML3 (all Biomancy) and 2 greater rewards as an allied deamon list in a tournament today, and he is definitely on the return list.

The greater rewards are excellent, weither 4+ FNP, +1 Wound or 3+ armor, almost always boost his survivablility to rediculous levels.

Game 1 soaked up two whole turns of tau heavy weapon fire, letting my rhinos get in close. (though poor armor save rolling ended up dooming me later in the game (I mean seriously, the Tau firewarriors were making more saves than I was pinch.gif ) Even as a giant target he can make his points back.

Game 2 vs orks, he got the other player interested in running Deamon allies, after a Iron Armed & warp speeded GUO charge killed 7 boys and sent the rest fleeing off the table.

Game 3, though I messed up badly and forgot to move him one turn (costing me the game later, when he ended up 2 inches out of charge range wallbash.gif ) his Endurance casting allowed Huron to survive an entire space wolf shooting phase, then grow back the solitary lost wound on my turn, saving me warlord.

I do need to work on DS him more, as he didn't reach combat 2/3 games (though it was worth it in the first game)

Archived