Some really inspiring stuff! Just gone through the whole thread, very impressed with conversions! Will definitely borrow a few ideas here!

Really like the idea of a sorcererous cabal! I'm thinking of doing a Cadaverous Faminebringer, kind of a grim reaper type figure!

Edited by Lord Commander Eidolon

@Lord Commander Eidolon: Thanks, but the whole thread covers years of failed projects :smile.: If it has helped within any ideas, well...that is why we post here in good old +FORGE+WORK IN PROGRESS+. However, a Famineburger sect sounds like bad fast food with low nutritional content :wink:

@Reyner: Thanks, but he was a bit harder to put together than with tac, so I'd reserve judgement :smile.: Re-alingning two arm fixed holding point weapons always is. However, yeah, he is my favourite now. Weirdly they just replace their boltgun so technically great plague cleaver (and flail of corruption/plague spewer/plague belcher/blight launcher/plasma gun/meltagun) guys still have a plague knife, so I'll probably do the second guy holding it upright in his left hand and holding a plague knife in his right (and the opposite for the other flail of corruption).

Done a little more work, but I'll post when I have finished the squad. I'll need to use some of the capes on converted plague champions as they are starting to be outshone a bit by the plague marines (axe bloke for example).

I have also be looking at the foetid bloat-drone sprues. Some cool looking plague flies on there I can cut off the cowlings to use on the Flyblown Swarmlord sect sorcerer.

As an aside whilst £30 might seem a bit much for a box of one (£22.50 at various places), you can probably pick DI/KNF ones up for a tenner each on fleaBay (or have bought those sets so you already have two). So with P&P you can probably do 3, one of each build, for £45, or half what GW would charge you for 3 Foetid Bloat-Drone boxes, which isn't bad.

I haven't used any of these in a game as yet so I am curious as to how each load-out performs.

Edit: I also looked at the plagueburst crawler sprues. Nice straightforward kit at first glance but no bits as such. Some interesting design cues for when I do erosion damage to the rhino/land raider hulls. Little bits of dangling chainmail sheets for example, or curved spike arches with curves in the side. I was also surprised to see that the side gun mounts and rear half of the guns are standard, and you just choose the entropy cannon/plaguespitter barrels. Screams "Magnetise me!". Less so with the rothail volley gun/heavy slugger but haven't looked at that much as yet.

Edited by Marius Perdo

I couldn't resist doing my DI plague drone and the boxed one. Obviously the green plastic one is the stock KNF/DI model. The middle one is the boxed one, and the left one is my DI one with a boxed shell and mower (love the cylon/MKII style vision slit).

gallery_27755_12410_117817.jpg

The left over bits. The little spiked arches from the mounting brackets will be useful on vehicles to add character, and the extra cabling/face from the box was a surprise. The gun mounts are identical, but the DI plaguespitters have fly symbols on, and the box the three skull rune, so swapping is a possibility, or one of each on different sides for those that want variety.

I think the smoking stacks from one of the box shells will look good on top of my DV hellbrute when I convert it.

gallery_27755_12410_92849.jpg

I did a little more work on the melee squad. Just the shoulder pads to choose for the flail guy, and doing the banner pole/icon bearer.

gallery_27755_12410_171786.jpg

At that point, although I have a box and some DI/KNF/1st strike guys left to do a second melee squad and two more gun squads, I'll probably do some vehicles for a change of pace.

Plagueburster and then a rhino and a land raider.

I keep trying to get 4 of the blightlord combi-plasma bits to finish my blightlords but each time I get an alert from a bits shop they have sold out.

After that there is still also the other rhino and a hellbrute (DV conversion with a fair pile of bits now). Then the Lord of Contagion conversion with a manreaper, 100 odd poxwalkers (conversion ouch time for uniqueness), the chaos lord in terminator armour (WIP featured earlier), the sorcerer in terminator armour (WIP also earlier), sorcerers (7, various WIPs earlier), cultists when the FW bits arrive (40), 10 plaguebearers, another herald (convert), plague drones (5?), 13 nurgling swarms, the daemon princes (intend three, two sort of WIP above), chaos spawn (probably five, heavily converted, also see three WIPs earlier)), a noxious blightbringer conversion, the last three seven man plague marine squads, the spined chaos beast conversion from a mutalith, a maggoth as either a chaos beast/giant chaos spawn, and an araknarok spider as something Nurgly (giant spawn probably)

And the Knight Warden of course.

Oh, and the Tainted Dark Apostle, Exalted Champion, Sorcerer, and Cultists (60+) for a Nurgle Chaos Space Marine Battalion of fodder for the Dead Walk Again poxwalkers.

Still loving it. Not finding it daunting at all.

Oh yeah...painting it all. Eeek.

But I do have a lot of models built to play with unpainted if I choose.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Nearly finished the icon guy, he should be done later on tonight.

However whilst his banner was drying I started doing the plagueburst crawler. Smaller than I thought and some odd points where you have to hold it whilst it dries or parts could sag.

Realised all tanks are like this so sort of production lining plagueburst crawler, rhino, land raider, rhino. Even then I still had time to start thinking about crews, to really Death Guard the tanks with plague marine custodians.

Early days yet, i'll probably swap the flamer nozzle for a plaguespitter/belcher/spewer one for the looks. Also just trying heads but the land raider will have that first mock up but I'll use the 1st Strike plague champion head.

gallery_27755_12410_74389.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention the skeletal daemon prince idea was actually by someone on here. Google said Trevor, but when I searched for Nurgle stuff on these boards it was our very own TURBULENCE that came up with it.

Also somewhat inspired by Biohazards butcher cannon on his Redemptor to Leviathan conversion, and GuitaRasmus' as well, I thought I'd get a BAC plastic contemptor down from up above and do a Death Guard Hellforged one. Given how much Nurgle bits I have knocking about now various ideas started pupating.

Edited by Marius Perdo

The first melee squad is finally first cut finished i.e. I'll be able to use them on a table. Note whilst I actually built a plague spewer (basically a heavy flamer - Heavy) and a plague belcher (basically a flamer - Assault) to see what they are like, I'll build the other of each first as due to Inexorable Advance I'll want two Assault weapons in the same unit to maximize the shooting (either way close range Overwatch should be effective) The same logic applies with meltaguns, and I have one Plague Brethren so I'll build one using the box set gun, and bolters up to the required 16 odd in a 20 man unit.

Basically I'll do a model at a time as and when the mood takes me to try out different load outs and test configurations, but the ultimate goal is still 7 x 7 squads, two melee, five gun.

gallery_27755_12410_76797.jpg

As can be seen in the background the plagueburst crawler is at the elastic band phase.

I forgot to mention I had built all the stock elite characters ages ago (well, as soon as they came out), so now I am interested to see how some of them perform.

For example, I was a little bit underwhelmed by the Plague Surgeon against the Genestealer Cult, as his aura range is tiny. Maybe with a Fugaris Helm he might have more utility and anchor a line of ever growing Poxwalker units.

However running the squad above in a rhino with a Noxious Blightrbringer (extra -1Ld to go with Icon), a Tallyman (Dark Zealotry), and a Plague Surgeon (Tainted Narthecium) or Sorcerer (Putescent Vitality/Blades of Putrefaction), could be interesting. Would be a 5 unit deploy in a single drop which might help with getting first turn (another reason for 7 man units in 10 man transports, lots of room for those buffing Elite role mid-level Characters).

Also having some Chaos Spawn loping along behind (Advancing) to join in with Fearsome could be fun. Having recently fought Necrons and Genestealers I found their easy Ld tests in the Morale Phase annoying.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Saentus: Ta mate. Yeah, there will be a lot to do. My approach is to build things to be usable on the table, whilst converted to a standard that I would be pleased with them and happy to paint them (rather than throwing them together and regretting it later). Once I have units done I will try them out (I play maybe once a week on average). Then depending on how they perform (IMO from a data set of one) I'll have core must have units, and those I do for a change, and those that maybe (to me) suck. Then I can prioritise and paint them in an sequence of usefulness.

Well, that is the plan anyway. I always take sorcerers, cultists and Poxwalkers so I should be doing them first. However the cultists really need converting so until my last few bits turn up (FW Renegade bodies and some Grave Guard robed legs) I can't do those. When they do I'll do 10 of each at a time in blocks, as with Dead Walk Again cultists make Poxwalker Prizes (or they do they way I play).

Edited by Marius Perdo

TBh that is probably the best way to do it, especially if you play as often as you do. I personally dont play and am limited money wise, so just build things that i feel like building, but make sure they are game legal just incase the time arises that i get a chance to play :D 

As always great work and look forward to seeing how everything comes on! 

@Sagentus: Oddly everything will now include me having to build an Arvus Lighter and an Aquila Landing Pad, as the Sunday game will be 3-4 200 point Kill Teams trying to Get to da Choppa on the nightworld mining planet of Hallows in the system of E'en, by fighting through wandering zombies (poxwalkers squads of 10 x 7) before they get overwhelmed (auto-Dead Walk Again Stratagem/Sustained Assault) by them or each other, before the Zombie Master (Herald of Nurgle arrives Turn 3) arrives to stop them wandering, before they start to melt with diseases (Turn 5 Mortal Wound each unit 4+), until it all finally gets too much for reality and it is warp rift time (end of Turn 7, teams lose, zombie master wins). 4' x 4' table, lots of industrial terrain kits.

I needed a change anyway. All this plastic is far too easy and pleasant to work with. I need me the real frustration of tidying up Forgeworld resin and trying to straighten kinks out :smile.:

Edit: Regards financial constraints, at the moment (and certainly for the previous few months since DI launched) DG have been very cost effective, with a flood on eBay of models that might otherwise cost £15+ a blister (sorcerer/blightbringer/lord of contagion), or £30 (foetid bloat-drone/plague marines x7) for a box. Marrying that up with 25% off new boxes from re-sellers, and then Doghousing and a razorsaw, I have got quite a bit more bang for my buck.

Like DV cultists becoming rarer it won't last forever.

However it was these possibilities combined with such cool sculpts that are major factors in why I am doing this.

Plus, you know, stupid stuff from the past in the attic.

Edited by Marius Perdo

You know what's nuts? I've been following your thread and liking all your stuff but I have yet to reply. I'm loving your kitbashes, man! The way you've mixed the Dark Imperium and Plague Marine box sets together is quite inspiring, I'm definitely going to look back at this when I finally assemble mine. 

@Duskraider: Thanks mate but your force/painting have inspired me too. At a fundamental level all I am doing is Doghousing. Yes, the "starter box" plague marines in DI/KNF and 1st Strike have come a long way since BfM and AoBR space marines, as have multi-part boxes, but fundamentally I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for him showing us what is possible.

My grandad used to say you can't polish a turd but you can sprinkle glitter on it. Doghouse showed us that with the old "starter box" marines that wasn't true. You can make a turd into diamond with enough pressure, via the medium of cooler FW/plastic marine bits and a bit of thought.

I mean, we can do it with foetid bloat-drones now. And Lords of Contagion etc.

So long as you have a razorsaw and a cordless power drill for neck boring. And a strong grip (see previous). And a mild contempt for the risk of maiming your hands. And a tetanus booster. And blu-tac. And a sharp scalpel. And very good glue.

i suppose an overactive imagination helps with visualising the lies before trying to make them real in plastic form.

And as GuitaRasmus said work with the model and let it dictate what it can be, rather than you to trying to force it to be something it can't. Michelangelo said something to that effect, except he hadn't tried to carve plastic :wink:

That was a bit of wordy bollocks, even for me.

Now for the solid, blocky, goodness of an Arvus Lighter and its Aquila Landing Pad. Get to da choppa!

PS and you linked that add-on that stopped me having to see the maddening Photobucket messages.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Early days yet, i'll probably swap the flamer nozzle for a plaguespitter/belcher/spewer one for the looks. Also just trying heads but the land raider will have that first mock up but I'll use the 1st Strike plague champion head.

I'd personally suggest the Blightlord comb-flamer since that's technically the only Death Guard flamer piece but the belcher and spewer nozzles do look great.

@Closet Skeleton: Give that man a star.

gallery_27755_12410_156877.jpg

Forgot I had that bit from my Blightlords.

Now I'll need another two of those, as well as the four combi-plasmas, from bits shops (who are all out at the moment).

But yeah, your idea is definitely the way forward.

Reminds me to get a couple of razorback/predator top pates when in the attic, as otherwise I'll have nowhere to fit the havoc launchers on the rhinos (combi-bolters/combi-flamer/havoc launcher).

Edit: Not gone up to the attic as yet as the FW renegade bodies arrived so I was cleaning them.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Got the Skyshield Landing Pad and Arvus Lighter done for the zombie mission for Sunday club Halloween special.

The Arvus is spot glued as straightening out the two halves and the back end is going to take ages, and I don't have the time or inclination right now.

gallery_27755_12410_142509.jpg

So, now I can get back to my Death Guard.

Those extra Drone bits fit on the Dark Imperium Drones with minimal conversion work. I bought two more DI drones off Ebay and changing out the front plates really customizes each making them unique. Plus, this way you can have one of each weapon option as well. Really is worth the extra money to buy a few more Drones off ebay.

Hope that helps.

Marius, I've spent the last hour reading through this thread and am so disappointed that I didn't see this sooner. The conversions you have done on the varying Chaos models are inspired. I particularly like the possessed guy that you made (the one that is really tall, even compared to a Primaris) and the Lord of Contagion with the combi-plasma is awesome.

I have ran out of likes so have left it at page twelve but will pop in tomorrow to continue reading :)

Great stuff mate, subbed!

Nemac

@nemac Vradon: Thanks mate. It is basically cross-pollination, there are a lot of great threads on here for chaos, and especially Death Guard (your DG and Night Lords for example). Regards other chaos I was enjoying it (especially the possessed) but the time it was taking was prohibitive. If we ever get new chaos models I can kit-bash into the mix I'll go back to them but I can get squads of DG converted in the time it was taking to do one possessed model.

A mate asked me why I have gone with so many smallish squads of DG, and the reasons are possibly a small window into my thinking and planning/approach generally:

• The new Plague Marine DI models look good, are readily available in a cost effective manner, and with some Doghosuing could be mashed with the 1st Strike ones and boxed set.
  • They have a plethora of options as a datasheet making them interesting to build and play.
  • The boxed set has lots of bits and spare bits.
  • The models can be tweaked with other Nurgle stuff, like Blightkings and Plaguebearer icons.
  • The units start at 5, but can be 7 (the magic Nurgle number), and not just 5/10/15/20, and thus they can fit in a rhino with potentially 3 characters.
  • However if I did fancy a big 20 man unit with lots of Inexorable Advance shooting I'd need 16 boltguns (obviously having Plague Champions, "special" weapons, and Icon bearers aplenty).
  • That meant 15 boltgunners from the 5 7-man gun squads (3 pure boltguns each), and then a spare extra if I decided to mix it up (the 1st Strike one springs to mind).
  • That meant I might as well do two melee squads as I'd need two boxes to pad out the numbers and variety, and I'd get the melee weapon bits.
  • Two melee squads, needing to get in quickly, meant two rhinos.

End result is 7 squads of 7 (plus an extra boltgunner), two of which became melee, and thus I needed two rhinos. Part planning for what I want, and then part self-evident afterwards.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Ta mate. You'll have to wait though as with so much to build, winter time, crap weather, these won't see paint until spring 2018, probably.

White Dwarf arrived today so I was looking at the Necromunda stuff, as I am awaiting some more bits for the cultists.

I have a load of the original Necromunda bulkheads (80?), so I might build my own Zone Mortalis style Underhive. I have 2 of the FW big ZM doors and 6 of the small ones, from my Mars project from years ago.

Also the open cross ones are begging for a duct between them using some plastic plumbing pipes, ofrold computer cooling fans as vents.

The WD battle report has a plan view of 6 of the tile layouts, so I can build those with confidence.

6 ruin floor tiles are 11" long, but I found if you put cross-hatching down using spare srpue the 7 you need makes that up to 12". 

I also have 3 x 2' square marine ply boards (again fro the Mars project), so if I get out the jigsaw I can cut one into 4 x 1' squares as a start.

It'll be usable for ZM stuff in 30K/40K anyway, and easy enough to paint with an airbrush, hairspray, marmite, oil washes, and weathering powders.

I also found my terminus ultra (which is really just a Razorback's twin-lascannons and predator sponson ones on a LR). It amused me that that and Guillman would be a PL48 army, BFd with 6 CPs. I found a spare FW LR armour kit and I reckon that would help recess the predator sponsons at the front sides, whilst pushing out the stock twin lascannons to the rear, so they look less like they are in each others arcs.

The things I mess about with whilst waiting for stuff....

Edited by Marius Perdo

I did a post that was far more cogent and then my browser crashed. Annoyed. Image dump should make it clear the Necromunda board will very easily happen.

Will I do 4 1' x 1' tiles by 24/11 whilst pottering with my Death Guard cultists. Who knows?

Tests of concept.

gallery_27755_12410_109416.jpg

gallery_27755_12410_99029.jpg

gallery_27755_12410_80829.jpg

Hoarding years ago means bulkheads won't be a problem.

gallery_27755_12410_110742.jpg

I have everything I need. Own all the paints, glues, weathering powders, Marmite, crackle medium, sand, copper pipes, promethium relays, manufactorums, old ammo-crates and fuel drums, new ammo-crate and fuel drums, odd model railway bits, cities of death resin power plants and command stations, damocles command consoles, drop pod innards (I build mind sealed because the are stupid flopping open all the time), the list goes on and on.

Worked out measurement modifications so everything fits just so (obviously not reflected in images).

Necromunda could be the thing that takes my extensive bits boxes and odd collections from over a couple of decades and mashes them together into a pleasing and rusting, paint flicking, and Underhivey whole.

So I'll buy the starter box and the Goliath cards, and Gang War, and see if I can swap my Escher's for someone else's Goliath's. 20 should be enough.

Oh, and I own the sector mechanicus battleboard, and I went mad and boufght all that new sector mechanicus terrain boxes when they came out, so when it comes to doing the 3D side, already got all I need (well want, none of us need any of this).

Might be interesting to blend both boards, having the Underhive flow into a more open area.

Edit: Did an inventory, I have 103 old Necromunda bulkheads.

Had a quick play with a computer fan.

gallery_27755_12410_163054.jpg

I'll have things like that in a pipe, and some without fans a ductways. I'll back the ladder with plasti-card to make it solid. Also it will be great to have various size pipes in the bulkhead running left to right (or up and down) exposed with that particular bulkhead.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Started fiddling with cultists.

With 10 unique heads/bodies from FW, and 5 unique flagellant legs, 4 grave unique guard legs, and the DV champion (and a few have robed legs if I recall), I should have enough combinations to keep them all unique. 10 legs, 10 bodies, 10 x 10 combinations, enough for 2 40 man squads and a 20 man squad.

The trick is going to make them look thematic and interesting. This sort of combination has been done before using these bits. I just need to see if I can convert them enough that removing handfuls makes me feel sad because they look cool, and then know joy again by replacing them with poxwalkers :)

gallery_27755_12410_142416.jpg

I quite like how they look a bit emaciated and tall and slender. Being the Gifted or not, fodder like this is not bloated with the power of Nurgle.

ironically, being resin/plastic hybrids (that will need some greenstuff), these will need the most effort out of all my models to build. And I need to do 40.