Well it went about as well as it could. Vanguard Strike, Purge the Alien, I went first, ended on my Turn 5 with all necrons wiped out and me having First Blood/Line Breaker/Slay the warlord, I lost the Lucius, 12 VP versus 1VP.

The field testing of various units meant I have a better idea of how they perform.

Getting the Warlord Trait of Master of the Vanguard for my Librarian with Minotaurs Trample & Crush was nice. Him having Target Priority and 20 man necron squads hurt.

Anyway, still digesting it all, but it will have an effect on exactly what I make, and some units are absolute keepers and some are out of the must take list.

Thinking mostly on what didn't pull it's weight and what could be given more bite. And how I will model and convert it :smile.:

Started work on the Mortis as it is easy, it is dark, and I am awaiting the bit from FW.

gallery_27755_8709_22267.jpg

I want to give the impression he has come to a dead stop, to enable his targeting array and is starting to track something to his left, thus the twist and slight lift of the sarcophagus and missile pod.

However not so much as to be targeting just flyers, possibly a target higher up at range, such as up in a building or ruin, or on a hill etc. The fired missiles is to lend a sense of recent past action, as the kit is fairly static and blocky (which suits a slow walking anti-aircraft/missile battery but could be a bit boring).

Name is κόλαση which is pronounced Kolasi according to Google which is both Hell and Inferno and as he is Hellfire configuration it will do for now :smile.:

We'll see, just blu-tac'd so I can fiddle a lot more with the angling.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Kolasi looks great so far- the pose is fairly subtle, but conveys what you are wanting to do perfectly.  Are you going to festoon him in Minotaur filigree and decorations or are you going to leave him fairly plain?   It's actually a bit refreshing to see an "old school" dread getting some love and attention nowadays.

Glad to hear that the Damocles performed well; I have always loved the idea of Damocles and Prometheus tanks, but never gotten a chance to use them. 

A sort of before shot:

gallery_27755_8709_638906.jpg

So all the tanks and pods are undercoated.

So later today the airbrush is coming out.

I am waiting for my FW order to arrive before going for a final assembly on the infantry, finishing the Mortis, and building another drop pod for the tactical squad. Whilst things dry I'll get Kraatos out of his bag and built, and do another 3 MKIV with plasma cannons.

I might dry pin Asterion whilst I am at it.

So tomorrow there will be paint (and not just black undercoat), and an after shot :smile.:

Edited by Marius Perdo

That's a lot of armor to be painting, love your work so far, especially the MK8 marines, I'm trying to incorperate as many as I can as well. Your rules are interesting too, mine has been as little red/black/white as possible on the tacticals and white stripes on helmets for any PA Vets (but they also get red/black/white bling). Greek style sheilds for anybody that has them.

@Jacobite: I forgot about white head stripes on veteran squads. Hmmm....

As for a lot of armour...

gallery_27755_8709_108999.jpg

gallery_27755_8709_229755.jpg

Just the bronze paint (from the infantry above) over chaos black undercoat. Loads mixed up so I put some brass in and I'll do some light zenithal highlights next, then it'll be one tank at a time. I'll probably do the rhino first.

I did do the dozer blade separate as I was going to use the hairspray technique but I took the metal too light before putting on the purple, yellow and then brown inks. Was strange airbrushing inks but I think the effect will do well for heat blooming on lascannon muzzles.

gallery_27755_8709_4622.jpg

@The_Chaplain: On the dozer very thinned purple, then yellow, and then brown. Through an airbrush on very low and gentle psi.

For the tanks I haven't done any shading as yet (beyond ensuring the black undercoat shows through in recesses/detail). The top photo was under yellow light, the second under blue/white.

The Vallejo Bronze comes out very well, and changes shade dependant on light like...well, bronze :smile.: I am pleasantly surprised.

Working on the rhino at the moment to get base colours on all parts, then transfers, then varnish seal, and then the weathering/scratches/powders/mud/dust etc.

@NightHunters: Thanks mate. My FW parcel should arrive tomorrow, when I am not here as usual :smile.: I'll get the other dread bit then.

Messed about with some light chipping and did the tracks/exhausts etc.

gallery_27755_8709_60051.jpg

Next will be doing the two panel insets above the front tracks in black, as I have seen some references in the IA books like that, and then the transfers. Probably a delta in black on the opposite flat door, Minotaur symbol on the front glacis plate and rear door, and maybe some small ones on the side panels somewhere. I'll do a tactical arrow on the top hatch, unsure whether to do that in black or white (probably white like the squad markings).

Well, the FW order arrived.

gallery_27755_8709_50130.jpg

And I continued fiddling with the Rhino and experimenting with techniques.

gallery_27755_8709_47295.jpg

Possibly didn't let the transfers dry long enough before varnishing. Weathering will hide that now I have it sealed.

gallery_27755_8709_31512.jpg

And the test mini with the test tank. I need to pull the bronze back using an oil wash so it isn't as bright as the shoulder inset.

Generally pleased. The black delta stripe with chipping from hairspray and sand went quite well.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Oh you're sneaky, hiding that Black Templar dreadnought right in the middle of that minotaur heavy order; almost would've missed it.   Can't wait to see what you do with it.

The decal application and weathering are top notch! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Oh you're sneaky, hiding that Black Templar dreadnought right in the middle of that minotaur heavy order; almost would've missed it. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

The decal application and weathering are top notch!

Bloody hell you must truely be a chaplain as you seem to be nt o sniff out the little hints of heresy heresy! Or black templar in this case Edited by Squeaky