Done lots and have photos, too busy to put up at the moment.

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad it helps.

@Kanithon: Doghouse's Mantis Warrior thread is here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/135072-mantis-warriors/?p=1556036

@Chaeron: Yes, but be quick, say 5 minutes, and then scrub and clean, wash in spoapy water and then dry and repeat if required. Wandering off for even 15 minutes can turn it rubbery and it loses detail and can tear. It is more delicate than the plastic. Unlike Dettol though it does reharden on it's own very quickly (that just sounds rude).

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Chaeron: Yes, but be quick, say 5 minutes, and then scrub and clean, wash in spoapy water and then dry and repeat if required. Wandering off for even 15 minutes can turn it rubbery and it loses detail and can tear. It is more delicate than the plastic. Unlike Dettol though it does reharden on it's own very quickly (that just sounds rude).

Brilliant - I've thinking a really quick batch of things would be ideal then. Production line of Contemptors that need resurrecting...

I find myself further ahead than this thread suggests.

An attack of Instamolds for Ultra bits, looks like a swarm of small gelatinous aliens.

gallery_27755_11019_126532.jpg

I noted that some of the chests after strip weren't of a type I wanted, or damaged. So I used the new ones from the Tactical, Assault, and Devastator boxes to make these.

gallery_27755_11019_61898.jpg

gallery_27755_11019_108635.jpg

gallery_27755_11019_72715.jpg

The chests popped out nicely, and fit togther well with old backs due to how the molds fill with plastic. Pictures later.

The Instamolds have worked well with greenstuff, especially the chests I'll be using to make rubber molds from. Again, pictures later.

I have also done some more work on 32mm bases. When I have 15 done I'll take molds of those too.

Basically I got carried away with doing, and was less focused on recording.

Edited by Marius Perdo

So, took these:

gallery_27755_11019_6359.jpg

And now I have these:

gallery_27755_11019_61820.jpg

I am going to hang fire on the larger bases for now as all this mold making is getting a bit tedious.

I still have a few Ultra bitz to root out for the chapter specific mold. However, as much as I believe in piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance I am suffering from preparation burn out. Handling all these bits is giving me so many ideas that I want to build something.

I have these as a start from other projects:

gallery_27755_11019_3595.jpg

Twelve (excluding the missile launcher) so three bolt gunners will go into each tactical squad and three to the devastators. I am going to use the second company squad pictures from the 5th and 6th edition codexes as a guide only, as even I find some of the armour mark part combos a bit out there on some of them.

These guys will get rivet treatment and as basic models they don't need full bore Ultra-ing. I will do rivets and do some Forgeword armour marks parts mixed in.

I also got an e-mail from a bitz store with 50% off, and picked up some bargains. 60 odd pointy/clenched hands, 20 grenade hands, and 20 magazine hold hands (and more besides). Going to be great for personalising poses, and using up a lot of spare right arms from the tank gunners I have from making lefties for my Minotaurs.

In between I'll start casting 32mm bases scenic tops, as I will need 50 odd initially.

I did a headcount of those stripped. I have 157 marines (not including the 13 above) and 25 assault marines. This doesn't include any of the old unbuilt ones on sprues, or any Forgeworld ones. I'll need to check those but probably six tactical boxes, four assault, and four devastator, with maybe ten of each mark of FW armour (at least).

Looking at my unopened newer boxes I probably don't need them at all. Guess I'll see if anyone wants those at the club, and eBay the rest.

Conclusion: I have way too many marines to ever practically paint. Enough for several themes armies after this project and my Minotaurs.

NB: A few people I know have played with the Gladius Strike Force. With the Demi Battle Company Core being compulsory, and a compulsory Aucillary, unless you take small and brittle five man squads the points rapidly add up. It means when it comes to wargear, special/heavy weapons, and transports, I'll have to consider carefully what I am going to do.

PS I got the Skyhammer force, couldn't resist, no idea why :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

GW sent me a tactical box for free for no particular reason, possibly because the Skyhammer/termie librarian order went odd (they sorted it without me even noticing).

Like I need more marines. First world problems eh?

Birthday present for someone sorted I guess.

Not done anything today project wise beyond looking at a freebie and thinking Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Been sorting CVs, profiles, and liaising with recruitment agents (just above dealing with estate and letting agents in terms of eye gougingly tedious).

Edited by Marius Perdo

@deathspectresgt7: it is neither your birthday, nor does the Royal Mail deliver to the Ghoul Stars :wink: It is a mates birthday in early July, I'll give them to him so he can think I actually care and spent money on him. Then I'll just critisize how he builds them, and tell him Iron Hands are cacao, and then wind him up about It Will Not Die and Vehicles and just say the opposite to what he thinks the rule is according to the internet to needle him :smile.:

It will always just be embelishments and modifications/conversions (and repairs). I'll still always have to have a core GW/FW marine in there as the "chassis" so to speak (legs arms, backplates, shoulder pads, power packs spring to mind). With 2D casting there are always going to be some bits you can't make (and I don't want to do as it would feel plain wrong to do so).

I have far too many marines as is without actually fabricrating my own completely, I haven't enough space as is :wink:

Edited by Marius Perdo

I've been thinking about buying a box of the new devastator marines to make a mold of their legs just like you have. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out. Could I trouble you to take a comparison pic of the lower legs next to any of the FW Heresy Era legs you happen to have? I'm hoping that they will look good with the Legion MK II thighs on top of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I will get back on this and do as ephrael requests.

Just busy with contract hunting and a bit distracted by AoS (and planning to move to a bigger house with a huge loft conversion to have an even better man cave).

As an aside does anyone know if anyone has started as site that is like B&C but for AoS? (at risk of de-railing my own thread into verboten territory with that one).

Very glad it is helping folks out though, a bit of effecttive Knowledge Management and transfer makes me feel all wriggly and warm inside :smile.:

• 1 year later...

I never did do what ephrael asked.

Then again I never actually made that mold. I just found those lower legs as they are in the shot.

This happened because I was tidying up in the attic/loft.

However, various things are synergising and interacting in weird ways at the moment.

For example, having read the Raven Guard and White Scars codices, and their inclusion in Angels of Death, when I have a lot of bikes, scouts, biker scouts, jump packs etc knocking about is certainly influencing what I organise and decide to fleabay. Especially with Forge World Raven Guard bits and lots of model air metallics lying about.

So a Knights of the Raven Talon Strike Force becomes an option, as does a Marauders Scarblade Strike force. Their yellow looks very similar to Imperial Fists.

With the Centurions I found un-built (but out of box), and as I have loads of Imperial Fist FW resin stuff, and GW metal stuff, a Sternhammer Strike Force becomes another option. Especially with all the Devastators I have as well. Being able to take Centurion Siegebreaker Cohorts as a Core, and Devastators and Centurion Devastators as auxiliaries, would be interesting and I already own the models.

However what I mostly found was a lot of Forgeworld stuff that was going to be used for various conversions over the years. Minotaur stuff mostly, but also some mad purchases, like a Sicarian.

As these FW units don't fit well (read as at all) into the CAC/Cor(e)Aux(illiary)Com(mand) Force Org world I bought the FW Heresy lists on my iPad and I have been reading them avidly. It has been a bit of an eye opener.

Now I also picked up two Betrayal at Calth boxed sets when it came out just because the figures looked so cool, so this means an actual Horus Heresy army is entirely doable as well, and will provide a home for all those FW units.

The tidying will take a goodly while tomorrow, but by Sunday I'll know what I have and then can make an order from FW for stuff I want/need to round he army out.

Due to all the transfers and Ultra resin and brass etch I already have, and the fact I have really enjoyed the Ultramarine HH novels (Know No Fear/Macragge's Honour etc) I'll be doing the 13th Legion.

So whilst the Kill Team thread will be units I am building/painting to actually play with, this will end up being a long term project.

It does mean I'll be repurposing all those Minotaur MkIIIs, and when I get my head around Chapters and Companies in Legions, I might use the bull head symbol from the Minotaurs in some way (monochromed to black or white probably).

So this is more of a recycling project now, as opposed to up-cycling old plastic stuff. I'll do that for the other Chapters mentioned earlier at some point, or maybe never.

Next update will be what models I discover I have.

Mh. A bit sad to see that your cool UM project won't happen. But hopefully the new one will compensate enough. :)

Good luck with the tough decision-making! And if you're looking for a new home for stuff... well, I might be interested, just in case.

Still rummaging in the attic but Book V Tempest turned up today, and other things - including my first Primarch. And I called it Betrayal, just shows how clueless I am about Horus Heresy as a game.

Well, I read it (more looked at the pictures), and when it comes to Chapter numbers and associated Company ranges it was helpful, then unhelpful, then helpful, then just confusing (Apothecary Theon I am looking at you).

In the end I just looked closely at my various transfer sheets, realised there where no white Ls or Cs, so I was just working with what I could make out of XIII.

So Aethon is 1st Chapter, 19th Company, and if Apothecary Theon of the 3rd Chapter has the XXVII on his shoulder for a reason other than being in the 27th I'll be surprised. That doesn't leave much range.

Specifically a range of XX to XXVI at best, and due to the transfers, and No Know Fear featuring XXI and XXIII, I think I'll do with all the 2s, 22 (XXII).

It is like Ultramarine bingo.