Black Legion Thousand Sons

Excessus

Sooo...

I came across the rumours (well, they are out now, but anyway) for the Black Legion supplement, and noticed something fun...

Technically, a Sorcerer with MoT will still make TS troops, and they already have the votlw upgrade baked in, so that "tax" is something we have to pay for anyway. But introduced in this supplement, is a buyable psychic power! And it's quite cataclysmic too when it comes to facing horde armies!

Psyker only- 
Warp charge 1-3 each charge after the first extends range by 6" 
Nova 
Range 6" 
S 4 
Ap 5 
Assault 2d6 
Blind 
Ignore cover 

If you fail your psychic test when using two+ warp charge goodbye

Putting a lvl 3sorcerer on a disc and familiar, with a gang of spawn to protect him. Expending 3 warp charges it has a 18" range, hitting ALL enemy units within that range with 2d6 hits, ignores cover and ap5! Boom baby! Doesn't say anything about one time use either, and with the familiar it should be pretty safe to cast it as well...

This would overcome the weakness inherent in most TS armies against horde. I feel an urge to try it! :)

Oh, it's Nova. I was thinking that 3 warp charges is quite expensive, even though Assault 2D6 S4 AP5 is good. But now it really makes sense ...

The Blind USR affects the entire unit hit, right? With a bit of luck they'd hit your Spawns on 5s then. biggrin.png

Worth noting, the item costs 5pts more than a mastery level, and increases your mastery by 1 (making that spell a 5pt purchase). You can not trade that power for anything else.

And yes, you can run a TS list in C:BL, it doesn't remove that option.

Level four Sorceres. Nice, even if it is just more bolters (although blind is nice).

That is 2d6 bolter shots to every enemy unit within 18" that ignores cover...for a little more than a regular level of psychic mastery...  :)

That's true. It's basically the equivalent of 1-6 chaos marines per enemy unit.

Almost a pity we have a force organisation chart rather than a points percentage restriction like Fantasy. I can see great potential in an army built around four or five level 1 sorcerers with just that upgrade.

Is it a upgrade or artefact? If it's an artefact, probably only one per army. How would that be on a Deamon Prince? Could get into a sweet spot pretty fast or just wait until late game to clear some objective holders.

Know if Daemons can ally CSM:BL?

How would that be on a Deamon Prince? Could get into a sweet spot pretty fast or just wait until late game to clear some objective holders.

I wouldn't put it on a prince. Yes, there is a great chance for that turn one mayhem, but the risk is losing your very expensive prince to the psychic test. I'd rather have it on a cheaper sorcerer.

In related news, Black Legion Rubricae are particularly attractive fellows. I mean, seriously, black and bronze Rubricae? There's nothing about that I don't love.

Dear Sir, 

All Black Legionnaires are attractive fellows.

Thank you.

btw. give us this bloody novel of yours!

All Black Legionnaires are attractive fellows.

That's the whole point of the Black Legion, actually.

Make the lapdogs of the false emperor fall down in awe before brutal, merciless and very attractive super killers.

Instead of putting the Sorc in a squad of Spawn, how about putting him in Terminator Armor and Deep Striking him.  Sure you might deviate, but Terminator's are pretty cost efficient choices even with the 3 point upgrade.  Effectively you could hit your enemies entire deployment zone this way.

Instead of putting the Sorc in a squad of Spawn, how about putting him in Terminator Armor and Deep Striking him.  Sure you might deviate, but Terminator's are pretty cost efficient choices even with the 3 point upgrade.  Effectively you could hit your enemies entire deployment zone this way.

Mostly because of two things.

#1: Scatter and reserves. You will most likely scatter, and trying to optimise number of hits you almost always needs to be deploying close to enemies and he'll get a mishap. You are also in reserves, meaning that you can't DS on turn 1, but instead the earliest on turn 2...and the longer the game goes on, the more the enemy units will scatter, a termie sorcerer is slow and can't be in the right place in the turns after he DS down...

#2: It's not a one-time use spell! On a bike/disc you move 12" up the field and can still hit all units 18" away. That is going to be quite a few. next turn you'll be in his deployment zone and hitting a lot more units. The spawn/bikers will give extra wounds so it's more difficult to kill him.

A terminator sorcerer with that upgrade, level 3, tzeentch, sigil, and familiar comes out 10 points lower than Ahriman, and with better saves. Just saying. Better Ahriman than Ahriman.

But ahriman's mostly there for master of deception, which is a far superior deployment option for thousand sons than walking or rhinos.  I would still consider fielding ahriman in a TS list for that reason alone.

Of course, for some odd reason all of the chaos special characters, Ahriman included, have joined the Black Legion as of this supplement, so there's no reason you couldn't run Ahriman in addition to another sorcerer with this new artifact in the same list, while still allying in some tzeentch daemons for flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, for some odd reason all of the chaos special characters, Ahriman included, have joined the Black Legion as of this supplement, so there's no reason you couldn't run Ahriman in addition to another sorcerer with this new artifact in the same list, while still allying in some tzeentch daemons for flavor.

I prefer to look at it as "Supplement: Black Crusade" as that's essentially what it is. The Black Legion's warmaster leads all Chaos Space Marines, and that still includes the other chaos characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll bump this topic a bit because I have a bit of relevant chatter about using BL Sorc for Thousand Sons.

I recently went to a local doubles tournie and whilst I didn't place well, due to army selection and some really poor decisions on my part, one thing that shined for me was the effectiveness of my bubble sorc.

I ran with:

Sorceror

- ML 3 (x2 Bio, 1x Telepathy)

- Last Memories

- Bike

- VOTLW

- Spell Familiar

Came to 180pts.

While there was no Mark or Invul, that is for another matter to discuss.

I ran him with a unit of 3x MoN Spawn.

Last Memory is powerful. Between blinding your opponents and putting out a stupid amount of cover ignoring hits across the 18"range, I firmly believe with a bit more practice in using him he'd be a regular, and would definitely help a Thousand Son army deal with hoards.

It also aids our rubrics in close combat, because nova powers hit everything within range automatically, I did have a moment where this power killed off 5  cultists that was locking my team mates Drazhar in combat which proceeded to fail leadership and got swept in the shooting phase. He also locked down several large squads of Necrons by dropping them to BS1, could imagine something very similar happening to Tau Gunline armies.

If I was running him in a TS army, I would drop the bike, give him a invul, but leave off the Mark. Take Ahriman for the warlord trait and giving you two powerful ML4 psykers.

So I'd look at:

Sorceror

-ML3 (3x Bio)

-Last Memory

-Spell Familiar

-VOTLW

-Sigil (or MoT + Aura if no Ahriman)

Run him in a Rhino with Rubrics and have him bubble out Sunburst at 18" The Biomancy rolls are just to get the utility spells in Biomancy. Ie, Enfeeble + Sunburst (3 warp charge) 

He'll come to 185 - 190pts depending on your build.

I'd very much like to hear what other peoples stories are when using "Bubble - Lord"

Archived