Heresy Era Iron Warriors, with new True Scale Mk II Marine

Doghouse

Yeah that's the idea Lykos. The main body and upper legs is designed to fit one of the truescale marines from my army but the Centurion models are a little tall for this mainly because of the feet. I'm making these guys look like they're feet are actually in the lower grieves and the foot is entirely part of the armour.

The main problem with scaling up Terminator armour is that the original models are heroic scale so not really that easy to scale up and look credible because a marine would probably end up being stretched out of proportion or just not have enough room to move. When I get around to finishing the bad you'll be able to see it a little more clearly as I'll be setting the ribbed knee joint higher up the leg than normal so they would probably walk with more of a lumbering wading motion.

So this is kind of a compromise to so I can avoid just making a bulked up power armoured marine and trying to set the two apart clearly. The main reason I added a made up pattern name was so that I have a little more artistic license with the model.

I can always remove the Centurion feet though and go for a more classical terminator look which will lower the model a fair bit, I will be bulking out the hips as well so no worries there.

Having just had a look at your space wolves I'd have to agree with you there mate, really nice work.

I've now removed the claw feet on the terminator and reworking the model now. I've had a bit of a plan change with the marines themselves as I'm not really happy with them tbh. 

They're a bit too messy as I kind of rushed them in order to see if I could mass produce them, so one hefty mail order later that my wallet is still reeling from I'm going to go all out on these guys which sadly means a bit of a delay as I wait for the parts to arrive.

I'm now going to do a combined force of Iron Warriors and Emperor's children I've decided, probably predominantly IW as I originally planned but with a few units of EC thrown in for good measure.

In the mean time I'll work on the Terminator to see if I can get him up to scratch.

I'm now going to do a combined force of Iron Warriors and Emperor's children I've decided, probably predominantly IW as I originally planned but with a few units of EC thrown in for good measure.

That would be quite interesting background-wise, especially after the events of Angel Exterminatus... :D

Coo, that Terminator's looking spiffy. Regarding the height/mass, I think he works well as is – but if you're altering the feet, then perhaps you could experiment remove them entirely and add more traditional-style feet a little way (~2mm) further up the shin to reduce the distance from knee to foot? It'd reinforce the massive, imposing nature of Terminator armour but bring the overall height closer to your standard marines.

I've had a few thoughts on how I'd like to develop my commander, and wondered if you'd like to tie the forces together to generate some story points? Here's a link to the post, to avoid clogging up your blog. :)

+++

As Malika says, the events of Angel Exterminatus make such an alliance an interesting concept!

Malika66: I'm not sure I've heard of that one mate, I'm a bit out of the log these days. biggrin.png

Apologist: Yeah I'm fine with that one mate, whatever works best I'll run with. As for the terminator I've removed the feet entirely now and am pretty much doing what you are suggesting actually which is cool.

I've a look at the Heresy army list now and I'm definitely going infantry heavy on this one mainly because it's how I picture and entrenched force to be. It is an excuse however to finally get a Malcadore so I'll be snapping one of those up for the army as well, visually I think they'll work really well together.

Ideally I'd like some of the new admech cyborgs as well so may splash out when I get the chance. I really want to try and get some Krieg as well to support them. We'll knock a few ideas around once I get properly underway.

Ok update time...

Despite the lack of updates and the fact I am linger way behind Apologist right now I have made some solid progress. The first guys were really an experiment I decided to foolishly run with, I rushed the models and they have been sat glaring at me for a couple of weeks now.

After a hefty order of FW stuff I now have gone back to the drawing board and redone the model properly this time.

While I was waiting for my order I made a start on the torso. Mk II and Mk III are hands down my favour armour variants. Normally I just sit down with my models and make it up as I go, hence the rather dodgy MkIV/MkIII kit bash look of the first models. This time I thought ok let's take some time on these guys and I came up with the following.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/001-8.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/002-8.jpg

This was a fairly solid start to the torso, I used a regular FW Mk III marine as a guide this time rather than work from memory and I'm extremely pleased with it at this stage.

Then the bits arrived...

I'm MUCH happier with this version, stood next to the old one this looks much more how I imagine marines to look and the legs work really well with the torso this time around. I took my time rather than rush like I normally do and I'm really happy with him, it feels much more refined and accurate.

It is slightly smaller than my regular models but I'm happy with that as I wanted something to fit in alongside any Krieg I get. The blurry scale shot with the guardsman is roughly the size I wanted bearing in mind the guardsman is crouching.

I also have some Emperor's Children started but the other legs seem a little larger which is kind of weird so I'll see how it goes there.

I've added a ring of pouches to the belt that I am currently cleaning up mainly because of how I see siege troops being equipped. Carrying everything that they can on them unlike a surgical strike force that would only carry what it needs for the battle.

The way I see it these guys saw the worst of the Crusades, long periods of boredom sat in trenches followed by brutal and savage periods of intense combat as they stormed the enemy lines.

I think that is the appeal of the Iron Warriors to me, most other Legions had a strong motive for rebelling bought on by corruption or like the Night Lords or Thousand Sons didn't really have a choice but these guys had been worn down which makes them very human to me.

I'll be using the MkIII bits stripped from the original versions, might make those into Silver Skulls at some point and I'm currently working on the shoulder pads which are a pain. I'll get some more updates asap.

As I want these guys to be as closely themed to Apologists marines as possible I'll probably use Terminator arms on them this time around.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/003-7.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/004-3.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/005-2.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/006.jpg

Thanks mate.

I was never comfortable with the first guys to be honest but the Cataphract legs work so much better for what I had in mind. I have some Pheonix Guard legs for Emperor's Children and some other neat little tricks lined up for them but I am concerned they may turn out taller. I could play on this I guess as the EC are supposed to a paragon of what an Astartes of the Crusade was supposed to be in their minds and it might make for an interesting contrast to the more brutal looking IW.

I'll see what happens.

Looking fantastic – I'd been looking at the Cataphract legs myself for mark III marines, and they work really well on your guy. On that basis, I'll stick with Tartaros (and variants like the Phoenix Guard) legs for my chaps, as they've got a slightly more refined look, which'll add a nice contrast between my marines and your heavier, more brutal-looking, men. I'm really impressed with the sculpting work on this latest guy in particular – really clean and crisp. I can't quite tell from the photo, but is it a full sculpt? If so, it'd be a great shortcut if you can cast the torso – that'll leave you extra time to spend on fun stuff like detailing.

Have you considered Grey Knight or Chaos Terminator arms?  The additional plating on the Grey Knight arms and the heavy gauntlets of the Chaos Terminators might fit nicely with the Iron armour styling. They've also got the added benefit that it's much easier and cheaper to get suitable left arms! :D

+++

On terrain, my gaming group's picked up some of the GW fortifications, trench networks and bunkers; and one of us has access to this great gaming space in Uxbridge. That sound like a suitable meet-up point for a year or so?

Laborious: Cheers mate, doubt they'll be as nice as yours though. :)

Lykos: I did consider using them for something like that but to be honest they are seriously ugly in person. :D

Apologist: Yeah pictures aren't great, I'll work on that but the torso is probably 95% sculpted with the exception being the collar and the back pack attachment that are plastic. I think I surprised myself with this guy, turned out way better than my first attempts.

I'll probably use the regular terminator arms but sculpt the vanbraces onto them to make them look like the FW ones. I've started the first EC and I'm probably going to keep these small in number, maybe ten men. I do have a set of the SoH cataphract legs as well so may sneak one of those in there too as a straggler.

That sounds like a great venue mate, we'll have to discuss it in more detail nearer the time.

Dorns_Fist: Cheers as always mate, if you take away some inspiration from these guys then all the better. :)

Ok another quick update to show I'm not slacking...

Started on the second type of marine for the force while trying to do the arms and shoulder pads for the Mk III guy. Mk II is probably one of my favourite armour types, it was the armour used for most of the Great Crusade and probably a lot of the Heresy as well.

Almost finished the top half of the body, with the exception of the inside of the collar. Coming along very nicely right now and I've started on the EC as well. On the whole very happy with both of these, the legs need a lot of clean up work on the new guy though.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/001-9.jpg

Exceptional work, mate. Your new efforts are scaling up much better than the test pieces which, on reflection when compared to these, look a little tubby round the middle. But the proportions on these are perfect. :) Really is inspiring seeing the work you and Apologist are putting into these guys. :)

Looking great! The details are fantastic - really echoing the official models well. The bearded head suits the Iron Warriors too; suitably stern. How do you see the Iron Warriors looking, in terms of features/ethnicity etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy of late but I am still hard at work on these guys every spare moment I get.

Laborious: Thanks mate, much happier with these guys to be honest.

Apologist: Ideally I'd love to do them as close to the proper models as possible. Not sure on the ethnicity of the IW to be honest, I could go the cliched Greek route I guess but I'd rather go with a more WWI european feel. It's always struck me as a bit odd that all GW seem to have once culture when chances are they'd be pretty diverse.

Batu: definitely mate, gathering resources right now but more on the way.

Blindhamster: Great to see you again mate and cheers mate. One day I'll sit down and do some proper sculpting, I rush these way too much which is why the first versions were a bit rubbish. These feel closer to the point where I want to be but I feel I can do better if I slow things down.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a rough and ready update because I've been a bit busy of late. I still need to make the hips joints properly and rescale the boots but by the time I'm done it will be accurately scaled so one of the true scale guys should fit inside.

Lower legs are a little rough at the mo, still need to smooth over some areas but on the whole he's coming along nicely.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/001-10.jpg

Archived