'The death of mortal flesh is not enough in these times of celestial horrors. The only assured victory is the annihilation of the soul'
Biblio of the Culex, Chapter XX, Verse CVII.

'Knives in the night are one thing. But to deploy this monster, this aberration of Humanity, is not a step even I would have considered. This is the work of the Culexus, and that which it hunts will die screaming as the darkness reaches out with cold, dread hands.'

Inquisitor Judia Isut.

Subject Theta-Theta-Kappa, 'Sibilant in Jade', as seen in the hive city of Doonwrech.
Deployment order ++Classified, level Alpha-Epsilon++
Targets ++Unknown++
Notable kills ++Black Legion Traitor Psyker - Code Name 'Vermillion Hexatude'++
Current status ++MIA, believed curren....

++WARNING - WARNING - WARNING++
++UNKNOWN INTRUSION++
++AUTO-SERVITORS DEPLOYED, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLEE++  

Mont'ka made the Culexus such a badass! Been waiting an age for the model to be released, and was toying with buying one on Ebay for an age! I'm really happy with the green, as it was a bit of an experiment, but it's come out pretty much as I hoped, i just struggled to find some complimentary colours :P Thanks for the feedback!

I think of the Assassins as similar to the Xenomorph from Alien, in the way it moves and acts, like a gross parody of normal human movement.

Ok, to be frank, I love this idea. It just so perfectly reinforces the Culexus's "inhuman" nature, in my head I'm picturing the Assassin just slowly uncoiling from a ceiling vent like a Xenomorph, it's great. :D

I think of the Assassins as similar to the Xenomorph from Alien, in the way it moves and acts, like a gross parody of normal human movement.

Ok, to be frank, I love this idea. It just so perfectly reinforces the Culexus's "inhuman" nature, in my head I'm picturing the Assassin just slowly uncoiling from a ceiling vent like a Xenomorph, it's great. :biggrin.:

That's exactly how I see it too. I see the Assassin temples based around different fears of war. The Eversor is fear of being torn apart, massacred. The Callidus is the fear of betrayal, of your closest ally knifing you in the back. The Vindicare is the kill you'll never see coming, and the Culexus is the fear of the eldritch, the unknown coming from the dark to take your soul. I did want to write a short bit of fluff about my Culexus, but couldn't quite work out how to get the strangeness of him across.

So, I've not really been keeping this that up to date. Two months between my Assault Squad and Assassin is too long for my tastes, and really that's been due to a slightly crazy work schedule. However, that's settling down quite nicely now, so I'm going to try and keep this going with a bit more 'UMPH'. That means more WIP pictures, more thinking and hopefully some more fleshed out background.

So how's this for something I've been working on?

I'd say 85% done at this stage. Basing, transfers and weathering are needed for the back two, but that'll be done by next week. And that's a promise!

Meet House Erritian Knight Battle Group 'The Haptic Void'

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4Zq8rsS9_fU/VmXxOg3eXyI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/gnmAX6Jgj_E/s640/20151207_201825.jpg

I apologise for the quality of picture, but again, that's a learning curve and one I feel needs improving rapidly. 

C&C welcome :smile.:

Edited by kobrakei

I'm intrigued by the name, Haptic Void. Is there a cool story coming soon? I like the diagonal stripe on the rear left dude, and the 'I wish I were a psyker' pose on the rear right fellow. Overall they look gritty and dead brutal. Those colors look fantastic, and a far cry from some of the more garish heraldry you see on the studio pieces. 

At any rate, I'm curious to see where you go with them. 

Thanks Jeff...there should be some hopefully cool background coming soonish once they're done. I've got to flesh it out, but if you took House Harkonnen from Dune and turned them into Knight pilots, wrestling with the noblising effect of the Throne Mechanicum then you won't be going far wrong! I was trying to get the brutality across as well, as these are not Knights in the traditional sense. They're more like jackals or vultures, only attacking smaller or wounded prey, and they have an absolute disregard for the Imperium. They aren't Chaos, but massively independent. It doesn't end well for both the Knights and the House, especially after the conclusion of the War. There's only so many times you can insult an Inquisitor and get away with it, and House Erritian overstep that mark, the tragedy being they were probably in the right.

As for 'Haptic Void', the name came from a Black Metal band called Liturgy, whose lead singer wrote a super-pretentious essay on the future of black metal which mentioned the term, and it's just a good combination of words more than anything else. It seemed quite fitting for these predators though, they are quite grimdark even for 40k.

Edited by kobrakei

Time for a quick snap of what I'm working on Shrike wise, which was going to be the last unit to get my Demi-Company up and rolling. But since I'm getting Kauyon for Xmas, this'll now become a Raven Guard formation (twenty scouts is enough right?). Anyways, here's Devastator Squad Orestes and Librarian Cefreio. 

20151208_172043.jpg

I needed a Libby for my Libraius Conclave, and not wanting a duplicate plastic model I kit-bashed my own. He's pretty straight-forward model wise, but he still has that imposing 'I can melt you with my mind' stance all good Libbys should have. The Devi squad has two Multi-Meltas and two Grav-Cannons, which should compliment each other nicely. I wasn't going to run any Grav-Cannons, as they're really expensive points wise, but the thing is...they're too cool not to. I'm totally a fan of Multi-Meltas too, especially for the points cost and unrivalled armour pen. Just working though first red highlights for the unit, although the extra leg plating on the Devi's means there's a surprising amount more to cover!

C&C as per guys :)

Wow. That librarian is really effective. That's a Sternguard chest, an old commander head, a GK backpack and maybe legs? What am I missing? Can you maybe post a couple pics of him on his own? Also, I'm happy to hear you're going to be running Raven Guard rules, eh? I thought you didn't do that before. 

The Ravenhawk Assault Group totally made me think of your fluff piece about the mad tumbling dive you described your Stormravens doing before. Absolutely love the fluffy formations in Kauyon, myself. 

Seeing your Shrikes going again totally makes me want to paint a 'guest marine' like we had talked about a long time ago. I plan to do a biker in GeekTom's Storm Brothers colors soonish. I think I ought to do an assault marine in your Shrike's colors, if you're still okay with that. I like the idea of my marines being very active in both the Deathwatch and seconding members to other chapters, a la the old Mentors fluff. Plus, your colors will complement mine quite well, I think. 

Yup, good parts guessing, although the head is from the Sternguard kit. I'll get some more pics at some point, but want to try and get the colours blocked out first :) And yeah, but the Kauyon formations and rules have really made Raven Guard appealing, especially with the short range play I tend to favour. Getting my Marines up close and personal is a favourite of mine, and the formations/rules really help with that.

And please do a Shrike! I know a few other board members were looking at painting some, but never saw much materialise. I've love to see another take on them, and I'll have to get that Eagle Eye Marine done soonish too!

Yup, good parts guessing, although the head is from the Sternguard kit. I'll get some more pics at some point, but want to try and get the colours blocked out first :smile.: And yeah, but the Kauyon formations and rules have really made Raven Guard appealing, especially with the short range play I tend to favour. Getting my Marines up close and personal is a favourite of mine, and the formations/rules really help with that.

And please do a Shrike! I know a few other board members were looking at painting some, but never saw much materialise. I've love to see another take on them, and I'll have to get that Eagle Eye Marine done soonish too!

I could probably just look through your thread, but do you mind posting your basic recipe again? I think I've got the correct reds but I'm not 100% sure. 

EDIT: Just kidding. I decided to be a little less lazy. Meph Red, Carroburg, Meph again, Evil Suns and Wild Rider. I'm on it. 

Your black, though, I didn't see. You def have a blue tint going on. What do you use for that? 

Edited by JeffTibbetts

Ugh, I hate painting silver basecoats. Damn stuff gets everywhere, meaning I have to make sure none is on my hands when I'm holding the models. I'm not one to complain about GW, but guys, dropper bottles please!!!

Anyways, the silver is ready to be washed and then tidied. This is always my least favourite step, but it's the one that puts them so much closer to being finished.

20151210_202156.jpg

Ah, I just figured it was easier to chop the old bases and file the bottoms flat. It's not even noticeable once you slap some texture paint on. And totally with you on the washes. How did we ever manage without them?!

We didn't. I've been using inks and washes for about as long as I can remember. They weren't nearly as good, though. I guess way back in the day I started with black and layered everything up from there. Those were dark times. Literally. Black lining was all the rage.

Looking good! :happy.:

I'm not far off getting to 1k points for my Sisters (if I can get enough painted, I'll be closer to 1250-1500 around Boxing day as I have that day and the day after off). Are you still interested in a game in the new year? I have a weekend off on the 9th/10th January :smile.:

Although looking at your army, I don't have nearly enough Melta Sisters to tackle those Knights! :blink.: Unless I can get the two Exorcists and Penitent Engine done in time...

Edited by Aquilanus

Absolutely! I'll be free that weekend too, so it's a deffo for me. I can scale to whatever you want to play as well. And no Knights, promise! (well, this time anyway) :P

Absolutely! I'll be free that weekend too, so it's a deffo for me. I can scale to whatever you want to play as well. And no Knights, promise! (well, this time anyway) :tongue.:

I've looked at my list (so far and realised I need to change it around to accommodate the second Exorcist) I can definitely do 1k in any case. We'll have to do a proper report with pictures and stuff (which means I have to be extra organised :blink.: )

As for the Knights, well, I'll have to face that unit choice at some point. If I face one then, well I won't complain :laugh.: