https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-rtSSY2GQ

'A third eye, turned from the light. A House betrayed. These are the things that the Thorns have shown me, the things that will lead to my death. All I have now is time to make glorious the Shrikes in the eyes of the Emperor. All else is folly.'

Evek Lasker 'The Twice-Pierced', Chapter Master, Crimson Shrikes Adeptus Astartes.

+++Futher exload incoming+++

+++Thought for the day - A man makes his own fate+++

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-t7_oKVtKNPE/VHmbsThj5aI/AAAAAAAAAmw/DntVmi9Rl98/s640/20141129_100907.jpg

Edited by kobrakei

You're back! I can't wait to see what you've been up to, dude! I've been wondering where you've been. Hope all is well, and I'm looking forward to some new Shrikes!

I am! I've been chopping away at these Sternguard for what seems like forever, and having a massive Destiny addiction hasn't helped :P I will be getting some more pics up soon, but need to find the time. Hopefully I won't disappoint!

Is that CM converted from the LE Captain? Very nice. Very characterful model, pausing to survey the battlefield.

He certainly is. I've just boshed a Sternguard head with the crest on top. Looks cool and means I can keep my 'all helemts, all the time' theme. 

Hey I keep meaning to ask you... Have you noodled a good way to do your chapter symbol yet? I know it's going to be white on black and I still haven't really cracked the code for that so I was hoping you'd beat me to it. I think you've got enough models together that you need to start thinking about markings. Transfer or free hand, either way. Have any cool ideas up your sleeve?

It's going to be transfers. They are just better and neater than my painting will allow. It's just a case of cracking the curved surface as they are a little difficult to get on, even using Microsol and Set. However, if I haven't learned after thirty, I'll never do it :P

It's going to be transfers. They are just better and neater than my painting will allow. It's just a case of cracking the curved surface as they are a little difficult to get on, even using Microsol and Set. However, if I haven't learned after thirty, I'll never do it :tongue.:

So what's your plan for the white on black, then? Are you going to print on white paper and paint around the borders? Probably be easiest in your case. I could never get mine to look right that way, but I have some interior green lines and stuff so it was a bit more of a challenge. 

I have some of the Forge World Raptor transfers waiting to be applied, so I'll be putting a slit or two in to allow the transfer to settle, and then covering the gaps with some Ceramite White. Hopefully this should be the best way with the least work, but it's not the most riveting task so it's a case of psyching myself up to do it! I have a techmarine with TFC in progress so that may be a good point to get them all on before it becomes really daunting...

Oh you're just using the Raptors logo. That's probably a lot easier. 

Yeah, saves time and provides the white in the colour scheme :smile.:

A note to the general B&C community. I will be adding more details to the fate of the Shrikes Chapter Master, as I've now finished painting him. However, my camera on my phone is not playing ball, and with the delightful weather and light levels here in the UK, it may take a bit of time to get the pics I want. So please don't take the silence as a sign I'm not here! I'm always looking for feedback and comments, especially with the short background pieces I'm writing. I see some excellent stories, and always feel mine fall a little short!

I want this blog to reach the same heights as some of those great threads out there, and feel that maybe mine is lacking something that gets a wider variety of members commenting. I'd also like to say thank you so far to those who have commented and liked, especially my regular readers (you know who you are!). You've all kept me inspired to push through, and looking at the 30+ Marines and vehicles I have already completed to a standard I didn't think I could a year ago is testament to that.

Edited by kobrakei

I always like your stories. They provide some real interest and flavor wotrout being over the top or heavy-handed.

As for lack of comments... It's not you. You're not doing Night Lords or battle damage/weathering, so you're missing out on a big chunk of the enthusiastic commenters who always go for that stuff. I'm being a little facetious bit really, there are some things that bring them out of the woodworks. Clean DIY marines ain't one of them. I wouldn't sweat it, but I totally know what you mean.

'I was there on the day Lasker took his second pilgrimage on the Thorns. The Chaplains of the Third and Fifth hoisted him unto those spines, while Master of Sancity Farri began the chants of Knowing. Evek stayed up there for what seemd eternal, while even his Astartes biology began to fail him, the poison washing through him like a tidal wave over and over. His left eye began to disolve within his head, pus seeping out of the socket. But only silence came from him. Silence until the fourteenth day, when he turned to me and whispered one sentence.'

'I am ready.'

'Fourteen days. Unheard of. Impossible. Transhuman biology can only take us so far. It was only the sheer will of Lasker that kept him alive through...that. His single eye looked at me when the Apothecarion carried him away. It was an eye filled with knowledge and wisdom.'

'The wisdom to fight the Shrine War. The knowledge of how he would die.'

Brother-Chaplain Teruis Hpolian, Crimson Shrikes Adeptus Astartes.

'It is with regret that I must report the death of Chapter Master Lasker during the Drop Pod Assault on the Tower of Aleph. Reports suggest that Shrike scouts triangulated the position of the Ethnarch to the 72nd floor of the tower, and that a potential decapitation of all rebel command structure would be a possibility. Lasker, taking this chance, ordered a targeted Drop Pod strike into the tower. Lasker, along with five pods of veteran Shrikes, fell into various locations of the structure, and almost immediately into heavy rebel resistance. Lasker's pod, containing himself and Squad Espehren (see pic-record above) smashed into the top levels of the tower, and began the short hunt for the Ethnarch. They instead, from vid-capture, found massive and deadly resistance in the form of Traitor Legion (cross-ref - Black Legion) Terminators, with the warlord known as the Terran-Born at their heart. 

What can only be described as a titanic, yet one-sided battle erupted. Lasker bludgeoning through Terminator plate like paper, while the blades and bullets of the Black Legion tore Squad Espehren to peices. At the last, it appears the Terran-Born and Lasker took to personal combat, wherein Lasker met his death at the end of Ravensbane. 

Lasker's body was later found by Shrike scouts, laid out in the open on an altar of obsidian, his armour repaired, his wounds cleansed. An audio-log found by the body and confirmed to be the voice of the Terran-Born contained only the following message - 

'We return this warrior to you unblemished. This is our gift to those we honour. This is the way of the Old Legions'

The Shrikes have recovered from this blow with surprising speed. Indeed, the rapidness of their response would almost suggest that Lasker had his succession prepared in advance, although this can only lead myself to believe that the Master of Shrikes knew he was going to his death. 

Addendum - The Ethnarch was believed to never have been within the Tower of Aleph. Indeed, sightings seem to confirm with 85.0192% accuracy that he was within a different system at the time. This leads to the question of how the scouts of the Shrikes were led to believe the Ethnarch was within easy grasp. We must begin to expand our information sources and create a web that covers the whole sector, my Lord.'

Love the models. The chapter master is a great use of that limited-ed model. The helmet works perfectly and the very limited green spot color works brilliantly with these guys. Not over the top in terms of ornamentation, but just enough to look the business. 

The twist in the story was so unusual that it caught me off guard. I know you're going for a more noble Black Legion but that was pretty out there. I don't mean that in a bad way. If anything it's refreshing. The whole bad-guy-who's-just-CRAAAAZY is getting a bit cliché to me. These are warriors, first and foremost, and proud of their martial traditions. 

At any rate, the stuff with the second piercing was pretty sweet as well. Dig how his eye melted out. This guy is just a BA. 

I'm not sure I've mentioned it, but it's really interesting how these stories are all told in the past tense. Usually DIY chapter fluff is all about who's in power right now, but from the beginning you told us they were dead. It's, again, a rather unique take on the fluff. 

Thanks. I'm glad you picked up on the reason for the return of Lasker's body, as my Black Legion are totally not 'rawrrawrblooddeath', but still think of themselves as the ideal of the Great Crusade, even if that Crusade is against the 'False' Emperor. My initial thoughts were to have him returned as a mess with a progenoid missing, taken to crate a new Legionnaire as an honour, but I thought the Shrikes would see that as an insult instead of a twisted nod of respect. That reminds me, I have some Black Legion to post up here that are built, but at an early painting stage. I'll get them up soon along with the 'other stuff' ;)

It's a lucky thing with his eye. It fits well with the 'borrowing' of Odin's self sacrifice (a story that's always spoken to me), and also because that was the first Sternguard helmet I found to use. The LE captain being released also worked out as I tend to play using Pedro Kantor as my warlord, and I needed a model that looked the part, which I was concerned about. This guy is the definition of serendipity to me!

I use past tense as I found writing the background as after-action reports and personal recollections fit my writing style better, and the characters seem more heroic when described by other people, instead of me trying to sell them from a more detached view. Also, and this is something I've found out, it lets you cheat with the timing of events and descriptions. The stories tend to be made up a little on the fly, and I don't really have a vast overarching plot, more 'this would be cool'. I can say, when inevitably there are fluff clashes, that it's all subjective depending on who tells the story. I'm sure I'll work out a plot, but having the amount of freedom I get by not tying myself down is quite liberating and fun, and that's what writing to me is all about :)

I've been lurking on this for some time. I greatly enjoy what you'veanaged to put together here and I would like you to know that when my plog getw back up and running this is what I want it to be like. This and Spacedhulk's work. The fluff is filled with an excellence that begins with subtlety.

• 2 months later...
Well, that was a slightly longer break than I expected! Still, time to get back into the swing of painting Shrikes. I'm currently working on...

Demi-Squad Akirion, yet another Tactical Squad. Something about painting these guys really chills me out. I know people dislike painting troops, but to me they're the core of your army, and having thirty of these guys all standing together on a battlefield will look amazing. (Not as cool as forty will look though...:tongue.:)

Techmarine Sehn Muhindos. I really dislike Finecast, and couldn't quite understand why my paint jobs on the material looked worse to my eyes than plastics. Of course, when my friend pointed out the rough surface it made a lot more sense. Shame really, as I have another one of these to paint, complete with Thunderfire cannon. I haven't put the first one in this picture as it's just a big silver lump at the moment, but hopefully two will look great side by side.

And finally, as so many people have been asking...

Ancient Joud Friwn, the Murder, Third Shrike-Lord.

I've got a few more things I want to work on after this little lot is painted. Looking at a couple of Bike Squads, another Sternguard unit and maybe a Terminator or ten. Also vehicles, as that's the one thing I need more practice on really. So many decisions...

Edited by kobrakei

• 1 month later...

'Machine, heal Thyself' - The Emperor of Mankind.

'The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all' - Eighth Mysterie of the Cult Mechanicus.

'Below can be seen Pic-capture of Techmarine Sehn Muhindos of the Crimson Shrikes Adeptus Astartes, with the Thunderfire Cannon 'Waltz in Jovian Red', Muhindos typically supplied short range bombardments during urban warfare in the Shrine War, allowing Shrike kill teams to close range with suppressed rebel forces.

Muhindos was naturally gifted with an eye for the workings of machines, and was an ideal candidate to be sent to Mars for training as a Techmarine. There, he learned the nature of the Emperor-as-Omnissiah and the sacred rites of the Cult Mechanicus. After his return to the chapter, Muhindos was noted as a solitary figure, working alone deep within the Shrikes' fortress-monastery, finding communion with the wargear and vehicles of the chapter.

Muhindos was deployed under the command of Uhre Kutyet, Pater Mechanicum or Father of Machines, the head of the Crimson Shrikes Techmarine order. After Kutyet's death on the Second Day of Woe, Muhindos took nominal control of the position, and continues to lead the tech-order to this day. Rumours speak of a deepening belief of the Cult Mechanicus within the Techmarines of the chapter, and an almost fanatical hatred of the resurgent Necrontyr dynasties due to Muhindos's leadership and influence.'

Intercepted report sent by 'Tristan Ravewind', Inquisitorial agent, under direct command of ++REDACTED++
Edited by kobrakei