...Incoming data burst....

++Squad Akkirion. Led by Loe Akkirion, known as 'The Ursine'++

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zHIiEAwrIOM/VTZ6CofggLI/AAAAAAAAAvo/HuEgWbkqnNo/s1600/t.jpg

...Further exload incoming...

Thanks for the compliment JackDaw, means a lot! There will be a further expanded post with some fluff later on this week, so there will be some closer pics :) 

As for how much more, well...

I never really set myself a target. When the last Marine book was released, I bought the basics of an army and slapped together a few bits on top, and then it grew, and grew...

I'd like to think the core units of the army are done now though. I've found that the Tacticals have been a joy to paint and have helped me to get settled into getting the highlights right as well, which seems to be the opposite of most painters who just want to get to the fun stuff. But now I can get those bits started without thinking about having to paint more basic units, although there's a good chance I'll add a fourth Tactical Squad later on.

The current list of complete stuff is as follows - 

1 Limited Ed Captain

1 Captain

1 Librarian

10 Sternguard

3 x 10 Tactical Marines

Thunderfire Cannon

Stormtalon

That's about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the Shrike models finished, which is still a massive amount for me. It's easily the best looking army I've ever painted, and I'm just glad that the work is starting to pay off.

Left to do though...

10 Sternguard

20 Devastators

10 Terminators (currently in progress)

10 Bikes

second Thunderfire

2 Land Speeders

Comtemptor Dread

1 Hunter/Stalker

1 Counts-as-Sicarius

4 Rhinos 

5 Drop Pods

My aversion to vehicles is going to have to change rapidly! But the nice thing is I can keep adding to the army as this will probably be my main gaming force, and with the addition of a small Skitarii detachment and some Grey Knights, there will be plenty of variety to keep me going :P

Finally! Glad to see the Shrikes flying high once again. This new batch looks super clean, man. I'd say you're getting close to Sockwithaticket levels of clean-marines. I really, really want to see some chapter badges on these guys, though. Any progress on the white decal front? 

Thanks Jeff! Sockwithaticket is crazy good at those crisp highlights, and I wish I was anywhere near that level. Saying that, I've started using smaller brushes for my highlights, so that's totally helping me out, and now it's just a case of practice.

As for the transfers...erm....well....I really do need to do them don't I? It's pure laziness really on my behalf, and now I have to try and get 60+ transfers done. I've got a week off work next week though, so I'll push myself to get the process started at least!

Edited by kobrakei

Thanks Jeff! Sockwithaticket is crazy good at those crisp highlights, and I wish I was anywhere near that level. Saying that, I've started using smaller brushes for my highlights, so that's totally helping me out, and now it's just a case of practice.

As for the transfers...erm....well....I really do need to do them don't I? It's pure laziness really on my behalf, and now I have to try and get 60+ transfers done. I've got a week off work next week though, so I'll push myself to get the process started at least!

Have you decided if you're going to go with colored transfers printed on white paper (with the color printed around them, which you can blend in with paint) or pay through the nose to get someone to actually print white transfers on clear paper? I can tell you I'd vote for the latter, as they look so much better on my Eagle Eyes than the other method... But you have the advantage of having black shoulder pads, so it's MUCH easier to blend them into the pauldrons, at least. Do you anticipate applying the badge on many red bits? I bet your vehicles will need them, at least. In those cases, it's going to be a bit of a challenge to match the red very accurately, so you'll have to invest a bit of time into painting around them. 

If they're just white transfers, you can throw them wherever you want. Problem is finding someone who can make them for you. 

I've picked up the Raptors transfer sheet from Forgeworld for my transfers, and they do the job pretty well :) Not sure what my plan on the vehicle transfers is yet, I'm probably going to play that one by ear as I go along and see what feels right.

I've picked up the Raptors transfer sheet from Forgeworld for my transfers, and they do the job pretty well :smile.: Not sure what my plan on the vehicle transfers is yet, I'm probably going to play that one by ear as I go along and see what feels right.

Oh yeah. Now that you mention it I think I remember you saying that before. Okay, now you really ARE just being lazy. :D I thought those FW sheets had larger ones for vehicles on them. Not that one? 

Lazy and easy! They do have the larger decals, but I was going to try and apply them to black areas only, which means I have to think about how many black areas to paint on my tanks. I may have to paint one up soon and see what happens.

'To hear a citizen of the Imperium talk of the Astartes is to hear tales of descending angels, wiping away the heretic, the xenos, the traitor. These fairy tales suit the majority well enough, and for that they should be grateful. I've seen Space Marines fight up close, and to watch the Crimson Shrikes wage war was to gaze upon Death in its purest form.' 

Attributed to Scion Tempestor Uli Honanson, 62nd Harlen World Regiment, post-Shrine War.

'The Ursine...A simple enough epithet do you not think?'

Brother Gyn Wesm, III Company, Crimson Shrikes Adeptus Astartes

Here can be seen pic-capture of Squad Akkirion of the Crimson Shrikes IIIrd Company, led by Loe Akkirion. A giant of an Astartes, Loe was deployed in situations where high-level rebel targets were required to be intercepted and captured where possible. A patient hunter, Akkirion would track his targets for weeks remaining undetected. At the right moment, quickly-adapted ambushes would be undertaken by the squad to secure assets, while leaving a trail of devastation in their midst before melting back into the shadows. However, it has been noted that towards the end of the War, these assets would be more likely than not killed during these extractions. This can be attributed to enemy friendly-fire to prevent rebel plans falling into Imperial hands, however with the horrors the Shrikes endured throughout the war, it cannot be ignored that this may have been retaliatory from Sqaud Akkirion for their lost brothers. 

Presented here is the squad's heavy weapons trooper, Gyn Wesm. Brother Wesm can be seen carrying a cut down version of a Multi-Melta, a favoured weapon within IIIrd Company tactical squads. With the role Akkirion were to play, a Mk49 Ryza-pattern short Melta was preferred due to the ease of firing on the move. The pattern is notorious for its extreme short range, even for an melta-class weapon, however this was offset due to Squad Akkriron's tactics allowing for short-range engagaments.

Loe Akkirion, seen carrying a large power maul crafted from the wood of the mega-fauna of the Shrikes' homeworld. For such a large Astartes, Akkirion was famed for his stealth, and indeed was remarked by his brothers to have been a true scion of Corax. Indeed, Akkirion himself would spend many hours in both silent contemplation of his Primarch's teachings, and within the training grounds of the Chapter honing his squad's gueriila tactics. After the War was finished, Squad Akkirion had lost six brothers during operations. However, the bravery and determinism of Akkirion himself was duly noted by his Captain, and he undertook the ritual of 'The Piercing', a trial which he passed. He is currently deployed with the fourth squad of I Company, under the leadership of Sargeant Qilan.

Edited by kobrakei

Nice! Is it just me or is the red way more intense? Must be the lighting or photography since they're the same models as before. Anyway, looking sharp as usual and I still like the past-tense fluff pieces. Makes it all seem so tragic and it's very unusual from the norm. 

Thanks! The first photo was ripped from my Instagram so has a filter over the top, just to add some atmosphere to it. The new ones are just plain light, which as it was quite a nice day here in the UK were taken outside, and also taken on a different phone to the older photos. But getting the richness of the red across is always good, as the shade looks quite intense in real life, and I've struggled to capture that sometimes.

As for the fluff, the Shrine War is something that the Shrikes do take substantial losses from. Not enough to hamper the Chapter massively, but still a tragedy within a Marine chapter due to the loss of experience, geneseed and legacy. I also have thought there's a sorrow in the life of a Marine, created sorely to die fighting on some bleak, desolate world against the most horrific enemies, all to defend those who in the vast majority don't even know the Adeptus Astartes exist. 

Most honored and venenerable Kobrakei, as a fellow compatriot and loyal citizen and solider of the Imperium of Man, I come to you in correspondence to humbly petition thou, that I may establish a force Crimson Shrikes, and muster troops in the proud livery of the chapter bear it's name sake. I hereby vou that all troops metered shall serve the chapter loyaly, upholding it' s historical traditions proudly, and fighting in a manner dictated by the chapter's tactical doctrines. The commanding officer of said force shall be named Kobrakei in in honor of the chapter' s most venerated a astartes and founder, and that all accolades bestowed upon them shall be deffered to him. I come to thee as a loyal subject of our most benevolent Emperor of Mankind, blessed be he who serves, and await approval for o muster forces to uphold his will, smiting traitor, mutant and heretic alike.

Basically I really like the ways these guys look and want play them on the table top and if people ever complement me on the force or ask about them, I will direct them to this thread and any others that you create on the chapter. I also want to state that the only people who ever see minis are friends, family, people who visit my home and guys a the LGS and club as I generally don't post pics online. However if you do give me permission to paint some of these guys up I will post them online and/or send you some pics of my work if you ask me to.

Kind regards, tu_shan82.

Edited by tu_shan82

Thanks for all the comments!

@Jeff - I think over the course of the War the Shrikes will lose approx 150 Marines or so. The majority of these losses are more than likely to come from the first and third companies, and various command staff will also die (Lasker comes to mind, no matter how prepared the Shrikes were for his death, it's still a shocking loss for any chapter to lose their Chapter Master). So although it's not massive losses in the grand scheme of things, it's still a blow, and as my army is third and first based, the tone is a little sombre. Hope that helps to explain :smile.:

@ Tiberius - It's a beast isn't it? It comes from the Ravenwing Command Squad sprue if you want one of your own. I like to think of Loe using it like the Bear Jew from Inglourious Basterds, swinging it over his head two-handed to crack some skulls!

@Tu_shan82 - Go right ahead! It'll be an honour to say I've helped inspire anyone :smile.: The only request I have is that I demand you post pictures! That's an order Marine! The Chapter are a Raven Guard successor (including the paleness due to geneseed) and generally Codex compliant for markings, but don't mark Company symbols, the First just use their honour wreaths and seals to denote their status (think like the extra details on the Sternguard kit for example). Looking forward to seeing those bad boys!

Edited by kobrakei

Man, another one who wants to paint some Shrikes. I'd still like to do it someday, but who knows if I'll ever be able to. I just love that scheme, still.

And yeah, it must have been the chapter master that made me think it was more of a loss than I thought. 

Man, that's tempting. There are lots of fluff examples of marines training with other chapters, right? What's your chapter known for? Might be fun for us to trade a marine, in fluff. My chapter's all about drop pod tactics, but I'm not sure how that would work out fluff-wise other than popping a Shrike in a tac squad.

I liked your Stormtalon fluff bit from a while back, but they fly solo. Do you run a few Lamd Speeders?

I do run a couple of Speeders, and that would be a great place to put a Shrike! I think most Raven Guard successors tend to work the same way fluff-wise (surprise assaults, guerrilla tactics etc) so anything you think would fit that mould would be a good place for a Shrike to appear. I was tempted to paint up an Eagle Eye, and I'd probably throw him into an Assault squad or maybe just have him as a one-off. But yes, a trade is needed :)

Thank you so much. I plan on starting in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking I'm going going to start with asternguard vet, a tactical sergeant and either a vanguard evt or RAS marine to see how well I can paint the colors scheme. Got a few ideas in mind modeling wise that fit the RG successor / Crimson Shrike theme well. Just out of curiosity, how did you achieve that beautiful red color on yours? I had a look through my 'Sons of Sanguinius' painting guide and they don't look as vibrant as yours, which is good because it will help set my Shrikes apart from the warriors of Baal that they will inevitably be fighting alongside from time to time. Also think in king that Captain Kobrakei, field commander of the Ctrimmson Shrikes 5th coy, will probably be based on the Shadow Captain Shrike the lord executioner model, do you have any preference yourself, as to which you'd prefer your namesake to be based on, currently I'm leaning toward capt Shrike, as he would fit better I think, plus I could the use my he lord Ed as a blood angel. Anyway enough rambling from me fro the time being, but I will be in touch wih you quite frequently with this project so as to remain true with the vision behind these warriors of Corax.

The red is pretty simple to do. It's based with Meph Red, washed with Carroburg Crimson, then a wet brush with Meph Red again (just have slightly more paint on your brush than a drybrush, but less than when normally painting). This is then highlighted all over with Evil Sunz Scarlet, and then particular raised edges (say tops of knees, top edges of armour etc) get an extra highlight of Wild Rider Red. This should have the same effect, but it's just a case of playing about and finding the right mix for yourself :smile.:

I'm excited to see what you come up with for your commander! I'm not fussy at all, and as it's your army you need to build your leader in a way that suits yourself and I'll be about to help with anything you need. ;)

Edited by kobrakei

The red is pretty simple to do. It's based with Meph Red, washed with Carroburg Crimson, then a wet brush with Meph Red again (just have slightly more paint on your brush than a drybrush, but less than when normally painting). This is then highlighted all over with Evil Sunz Scarlet, and then particular raised edges (say tops of knees, top edges of armour etc) get an extra highlight of Wild Rider Red. This should have the same effect, but it's just a case of playing about and finding the right mix for yourself :)

I'm excited to see what you come up with for your commander! I'm not fussy at all, and as it's your army you need to build your leader in a way that suits yourself and I'll be about to help with anything you need. ;)

Thank you. I'm definitely leaning toward Shrike and may even use his rule as well.