Loyalists of the XIV: The tyrant's ruin and rival's fall

The use of improvised weapons on your Death Guard makes them stand out rather nicely. I think my favourite is the metal rod with a sharp object rammed through it (brutal, stabby, pitchforky goodness).

@ Pearson73: Thank you, brother.

@ Soric: Thanks. They are the result of spending many hours devouring anything WW1 related.

Started working on the Discipline Master today.

gallery_73590_8946_80519.jpg

Haven't decided the colour of the crest yet. I'm torn between dark red, purple or just leaving it black with grey highlights.

• 4 months later...

“I met the Master Apothecary once. Prior to that I could never have imagined that he was an old Dusk Raider, an Albian like me. I guess I should stop expecting all Dusk Raiders to be like the stories I’ve heard of Battle-Captain Garro, the Lieutenant-Commander certainly made that clear when I first arrived. They call Sarpaten a Plague Doctor, not because he fights the plague, but because he creates it, and his… solutions are not a pretty sight. We have all heard their names; the Blight, the Strangler, the Bane of the Akateri, Sample 3/88, the Crawling Nightmare. He kept staring at me with those cold, creepy eyes and I could not tell if he simply disliked my presence or considered using me as a test subject. And his talk about the seams of life and how he sought ways to break them sent shivers down my spine. I’d rather be locked in a room with that crazy Centurion Gurthor, at least then you know your death will be quick. Still, Sarpaten is said to be a voice of reason in this Battalion of misfits and the only man who dares speak freely in front of the Lieutenant-Commander.”

- From Bringers of Last Judgement by Katheryn Linnea Trevelyan, sole Remembrancer to the 90th Expedition Fleet.

Master Apothecary Titus Sarpaten, "The Plague Doctor"

gallery_73590_8946_20682.jpg

Titus Sarpaten was born in a bombed out hive three days before the Albian War ended. He began his service to the Dusk Raiders as an Apothecary of 4th Cohort and fought in the Panpacific, proving himself as a savage trench fighter, though little else is known about his actions during Unification and the early Crusade. At some point he was promoted to Master Apothecary of the Cohort, a rank he retained after becoming Death Guard. Sarpaten rarely spoke to his brothers outside of battle, preferring his own company and cold laboratories to other people or “meatsacks” as he liked to call them. He was always an observer, gifted with an analytical mind and the uncanny ability to read others, peeling away layers of their soul as if dissecting it. When he finally chose to speak aloud it was always the hard and unpleasant truth, delivered with a bluntness that did little to improve his popularity, but earned him a place as Lieutenant-Commander Sogalon’s most trusted advisor. The 8th Battalion gained a dark reputation over the years as destroyers of worlds, mainly because of Sarpaten’s creations. While other officers of the old 4th Cohort simply viewed chemical and biological warfare as the most effective weapon in their arsenal, Sarpaten went further than that and fully embraced the new way by turning it into the main focus of his research; killing the enemies of Man with a weapon born from science was in his eyes the purest tribute to Imperial truth. Among his greatest inventions were the geno-plague unleashed on the Akateri during the Bleeding Twins and the Blight, a bio-weapon favoured by the Boruzian Grenadiers that turned worlds into tainted deserts. Mending flesh was child’s play according to Sarpaten, something anyone with basic medical knowledge could master, while the true challenges lay in discovering the various breaking points of organic life and find the perfect means of exploiting them, a task that required a mind completely devoid of distracting emotions. Sarpaten was betrayed on Istvaan III with the majority of the Last Judgement’s leadership and during the fighting he took it upon himself to destroy the gene seed of the dead and wounded, both loyalist and traitor; like his Battalion, a proponent of scorched earth until the very end.

gallery_73590_8946_53841.jpg

gallery_73590_8946_92610.jpg

@ Vect: Thanks!

@ deathspectersgt7: Yeah, I haven't completed a Death Guard model since november last year. Then motivation took a nose dive and crash landed with no survivors before summer and I didn't touch a brush until yesterday. But I'm back now and should see about finishing the Discipline Master as well.

The last member of squad Charon.

gallery_73590_8946_5825.jpg

And after almost an entire year this fellow finally got his gun.

gallery_73590_8946_33499.jpg

Now I can't stop picturing a volkite being fired down a trench packed with soldiers.

Also, after seeing the Sisters of Silence I need to find a way to fit them into the army. I'll probably end up rewriting the Bleeding Twins campaign or something like that.

@ Olis: Who needs a trench gun when you have the Martian Death Ray?

Went to the city today to help my sister look at some furniture. I made a brief escape to my favourite bookstore, got her a copy of Helsreach and aquired a few supplies for myself.

gallery_73590_8946_63046.jpg

Most likely the last Calth box in Northern Norway.

While walking around I got the idea to turn this door into an improvised breacher shield.

gallery_73590_8946_64904.jpg

Edited by Barabbas Sogalon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little clean up remains, but here he is. Praise the Omnissiah!

Archmagos Lukaas Ikayasson Argentias IV, self-styled Rad-Lord of Mars and Supreme High-Polemarch of the Mechanicum

gallery_73590_8946_24541.jpg

gallery_73590_8946_71309.jpg

I can reveal that this lucky, opportunistic bastard will be the only member of this army who survives the Horus Heresy.