Experiences with Black Legion Supplement

Valaskjalf

I could certainly see going that way, though I'd probably stick to wolves, oblits or no. Wolf Guard just work the way I feel chosen should, which isn't surprising since they seemed modeled after how chosen worked in 3.5.

In the end, I don't play enough anymore to get too worked up about rules irl, much as my online discussion might lead one to believe otherwise, so I'll just stick to my chaos marine codex, Black Legion supplement and all, and just be grumpy about it.

The way wg work is similar to how they worked in the 3rd ed. Sw Codex.

Dreadnought HQ would be wicked awesome, though it probably wouldn't see a
lot of use due to naff Walker/Vehicle rules. It seems to me that in
most fluff, Chaos Space Marines get put in Dreadnoughts as a punishment
and if they're a leader it's a form of demotion. See Amurael the
Corrupted in 3.5, Warlord in Aaron Dembski-Bowden's books. Though if
we're talking Black Library, we have Daemon World, featuring Demetrius of the Violators acting
in a leadership capacity.

you are correct.

So yeah, Sons, present or former, merely working with the Black would be whatever colors their sorcerers wanted them to be.  Sons that had quit their legion to join the black would blacken their armor and that of their rubric bodyguards, because that's part of joining the black.  Abaddon cares about the dress code.  Single purpose, single vision, single master, single legion.

So I know initially the big plus to the supplement, for some players, was that it allowed for silly 4 drake lists....this probably isn't feasible, but has anyone had experience allying BL and CSM to take 4 Heavies? Preds, Auto-Havocs, and Oblits, maybe? That's a lot of heavy guns on turn one...

Four drakes was more a joke than a real thing even to start.  Drakes tend to show diminishing returns after two, anyway.  Now, two drakes, plus two bikes or spawn?  Or two maulers plus two oblits?  That sort of arrangement can pay off.  Still, it's probably not going to do better for you than allying in daemons or some other, more all round coherent force.

While I've run Black Legion sup pretty much exclusively since it was released, I haven't run a lot of self ally.  Pretty much only a few games when testing out the dreadclaw, since the fast slots get pretty tight pretty fast when you're burning 2 to 3 of them on what in all honesty should be slotless dedicated transports.  Anyway, in those games, poor performance was more a matter of proxying the claws than self allying for an extra fast or heavy slot, so I don't really have much to add from personal experience on that subject.

With BL, I've had some surprising moments and some near victories. One of my favorite moments with creating the level 4 sorceror, I put him on a disc, with iron arm and endurance flew him into a tau fire line. With his cover save, armor and invuln, I made a tau team nearly *expitive* their pants. The tau player tried to shoot my sorceror to death just to see him survive with a dying breath, reunite his wounds, climb back upon his disc, and cast a massive nova blast nearly killing his warlord. The quicksilver weapon puts a slaneesh lord on nearly equal speed as an eldar or Deldar.

we're talking Black Library, we have Daemon World, featuring Demetrius of the Violators acting

What about the warmonger in the word bearer books, he was venerated.

\

What about the warmonger in the word bearer books, he was venerated.

That's who I was thinking of when I said Warlord in the Night Lord books. The Night Lords' Dreadnought is the War-Sage Malcharion. The Warmonger is the Word Bearers' Dreadnought in their books. In both instances they are revered elders but don't lead the warband.

but you don;t need to be THE leader of the warband to be a HQ choice, or even a special character

True. I just think Dreadnoughts of any description, and particularly the Chaos Dreadnought archetype, fit the Elites section best.

What do people think, do you need to play Black Legion models, to use the Black Legion supplement in say Tournaments? (similar for Crimson Slaughters)

Seems exceedingly uptight to force it in this day and age.

While the discussion over Legion tactics carries on, just wondering....Black Legion's shtick, as GW sees it, is to really just be the bane of the Imperium (reflected in the rules through enforced VotLW and Warlord traits like PE: Space Marine).

Has anyone just thrown it all to the four winds and said, zogg it, I'm going to draft a list that is pretty well ONLY any good at smashing Space Marine face?

I had a read trough the BL-supplement;

*Chosen don't really interrest me enough to warrant me playing with the BL-rules.

*The artifacts are meh. The only cool item is the daemonsword on a Slaaneshi Chaos Lord.

*The special rules for "abaddons termies" are underwhelming. At least give them fearless...

Then I pretty much stopped reading when I saw that you had to take (and pay) for VotLW on everything in the army. "Oooh, lets play a 2000 point game. You're fielding Tyranids you say? Cool, hold on; just let me spend ~150 points on giving my army +1 Ld."

Basically against marines, you will do alright. Versus anyone else, you'll be fielding a extra gimped army, taken from a already gimped codex. 

Archived