Of Men, Gods and Daemons (update 5/9/15)

El-Diablo

Cheers all, your comments are very much appreciated.

Long time no see mate!

Seriously nice work on that Lorgar, you've done him justice.

Ta msn-wink.gif

Where you been anyway? Back at the tools yet or is this just a social call?

Great job on the Lorgar model brother. The brass is exquisite!

And for my next trick, I shall turn this innocent looking pile of parts into a post Heresy Death Guard Contemptor.

Good luck with that endeavour! BTW, those gun barrels are painfully warped- I had to do a double take. Hope a hot water bath and some blow drying will clear that up.

Aye, spotted the barrels the day I bought it. Good thing im going to replace them entirely msn-wink.gif

Awesome model, dude. That's gotta be one happy client.

I like how much longevity you were able to erase from the face, and create a more youthful appearance.

I think a lot of the age in the FW studio version is down to the paintjob on the face, the detail in it is superb. To put it into perspective, the FW paintjob looks like it could be around 70-80 years old, while the sculpt looks closer to say, mid 40's. Paint makes a big difference.

Spent most of today doing some detailing on the Death Guard Contemptor, mainly adding bb's, small plastic beads and sand to add the boils and texture to some surfaces. Also went over it with a couple of different rotary tool bits to add some small pock marks and scaring, all things that will pick up at the drybrush stage. Think tomorrow might be detailing the fist arm alongside adding some spike detail to the top of the body to match the FW Death Guard Terminators.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/4%20-%20Chaos/DGContemptor2_zps92afa2a0.jpg

(Wow thats a crap photo. Will make it up with a better one tomorrow.)

Cheers gents ;)

Excellent work. Those boils are going to look gross when painted.

Out of interest, what bits do you use with your rotary tool to work on plastic and resin?

Im using two at the moment, one is a spherical router bit, around 1.5mm, the other is a 2mm spherical abrasive bit. Normally I use the router bit first to add the bult of the detail, then use the abrasive to smooth off any overly sharp edges. 

Managed a bit more work the last day or so (though i've since broken one of the horns so it was made shorter), just the autocannon arm to convert before it gets another detail pass, then it'll be onto paint.

Cheers for that. Expect to see that dread on the FW mini of the day msn-wink.gif

Wouldn't quite go that far, it won't be airbrushed ;)

Finished up the assembly of the Contemptor, just a few base details to add now before painting.

Great looking contemptor, you've achieved a whole new look with a few simple additions. The auto cannon is a really cool conversion but my favorite addition are the spikes on the top ;)

Oh and the metal balls, I take it those are ball bearings?

Wouldn't quite go that far, it won't be airbrushed ;)

I've seen what you can do with a brush. And a lot of people's airbrushing is not the "pro painted" level they claim on eBay. Often with little definition or odd spots of highlights which seem to have no actual point of reference used. And I won't start about the reliance of OSL which is almost always too much unless the models were ment to be in dark conditions. With hardly any shading.

Oops...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Great looking contemptor, you've achieved a whole new look with a few simple additions. The auto cannon is a really cool conversion but my favorite addition are the spikes on the top msn-wink.gif

Oh and the metal balls, I take it those are ball bearings?

Yep, 2mm steel ball bearings. Paid under £3 for 100 of them from ebay.

Wouldn't quite go that far, it won't be airbrushed msn-wink.gif

I've seen what you can do with a brush. And a lot of people's airbrushing is not the "pro painted" level they claim on eBay. Often with little definition or odd spots of highlights which seem to have no actual point of reference used. And I won't start about the reliance of OSL which is almost always too much unless the models were ment to be in dark conditions. With hardly any shading.

Oops...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Soapbox away sir ;)

That dread is looking pretty awesome!

It is really neat to see all the prep and detail work you put into a model before the first bit of paint even goes on it.

Cheers Flint. Im a big fan of seeing other people's 'naked' wip shots, gives you a better idea of what went into the figure. Also gives another chance to alter it after people have seen it but before paint hits it.

Damn. That is just sexy.

Cheers Darth ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Been a bit quiet on the Chaos Marines of late as i've been working on the start of a new Fantasy army but in between square bases and shields I found time to throw a basecoat onto the Contemptor and build a unit of Possessed to kick off a small detachment of Crimson Slaughter seeing as they get them as a Troops choice.

The Contemptor is the next thing on the list to work on so expect some updates on that in the next few days.

Good to finally see some paint on the Contemptor.

Your telling me, i've had the concept in my head for close to 18 months now so it's good to finally get some paint on to it.

Managed to peel myself away from playing multiplayer Call of Duty to get the basecoats done on the Contemptor. Washes next then a few highlights to finish.

Wasn't COD that killed my time today, that honour went to playing Limbo with the wife - she's just got into the idea of video games and wanted to play something that wasn't shooting random kids in the face on COD.

That being said, I did get a fair chunk of work done. Washes and the majority of the highlighting was finished, just the metals, weathering and basing left to do.

Finally finished up the Death Guard Contemptor, a project that to now has been about 18 months in the making.

The aim was to try and tie it in visually with the Forge World Death Guard Terminator kit, particularly with the spikes on top. I've also added the triple skull and fly icons to the shoulders in the same place as the Terminator kit. 

Very pleased now i've finally finished it, I think the broken pipe under the head might be one of my favourite parts of the fig, and oddly enough the first idea I had when forming the plan in my head.

Also made a start on a test figure for a Crimson Slaughter force. Just some basecoats and washes at this stage, more a proof of concept than anything else. Im going off the painting guide GW released around the time Dark Vengeance came out with a few additions of my own.

Archived