Of Men, Gods and Daemons (update 5/9/15)

El-Diablo

Nice work man, he came out just as good as I expected.

Cheers msn-wink.gif

Love the dread. Resisted having some grime coming out of the broken pipe?

I thought about it, then decided against when I worked out how long it'd take to sort out if I cocked it up.

Very nicely painted contemptor you have there... approval rating going vertical smile.png

Thanks msn-wink.gif

Aaaand Im mindblown. That contemptor was done with washes over a basecoat? I might just have to reevaluate the way I paint.

Yup, two washes over a drybrushed basecoat. Great for getting an army out fast, not so great for a competition standard.

More Contemptor on the previous page

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/4%20-%20Chaos/DGContemptor10_zps9915f8b1.jpg~original

Dude looks awesome! I especially like the broken pipe and the screaming skull. it's the little touches that make it, just like the plague. 

Cheers. It's the little details that can make or break a figure, the trick is knowing where to stop.

Cheers guys ;)

Been plugging away at a unit of Crimson Slaughter Possessed the last couple of days, seeing as they can be taken as troops I though it'd be rude not to, and it finally uses the box I picked up when they were first released.

Im going to start highlighting the main colours next before adding details.

Not the greatest photo i'll admit, i'll get a better one further on.

Think we'll be seeing a lot more of those babies. Yours are coming out really good.

Cheers ;)

I'd imagine there'll be a lot of counts as with the Crimson Slaughter book, even though Possessed aren't the best Troop choice going. Seeing as the option is there it'd be a shame not to take it. Doesn't particularly bother me as i've never been a WAAC type gamer, I just like seeing cool units on the table. 

Think we'll be seeing a lot more of those babies. Yours are coming out really good.

Cheers msn-wink.gif

I'd imagine there'll be a lot of counts as with the Crimson Slaughter book, even though Possessed aren't the best Troop choice going. Seeing as the option is there it'd be a shame not to take it. Doesn't particularly bother me as i've never been a WAAC type gamer, I just like seeing cool units on the table.

I've had 12 built for ages. May be worth trying them out now. And yes, there will be lots of counts as. Even just for the 2+ armour.

I've had 12 built for ages. May be worth trying them out now. And yes, there will be lots of counts as. Even just for the 2+ armour.

It's a steal for the points - certainly has more useful builds than others but i'll probably stick with using it on Krannon for the time being - if the army gets big enough to start adding more characters then he might get upgraded to a biker lord. Not sure I want to take it that far, i've still got my sights set on sorting out my Black legion.

Cheers Daemonclaw ;)

Photo mojo has left and got hammered this evening, excuse the shoddy state of the coming photo.

Current state of play with the Possessed - spent some time last night highlighting the gold and red, think tonight will be spent bringing up the flesh areas, though first I have a hankering for shooting 10 year olds in the face on Call of Duty.

Even though Possessed are hardly my favourite unit type, it'll be very interesting to see them painted in your trademark style: The juxtaposition of armour and mutated flesh is something that few people get right, in my opinion (myself included, unfortunately), so I have high hopes for your treatment of the subject matter ;)

Even though Possessed are hardly my favourite unit type, it'll be very interesting to see them painted in your trademark style: The juxtaposition of armour and mutated flesh is something that few people get right, in my opinion (myself included, unfortunately), so I have high hopes for your treatment of the subject matter msn-wink.gif

I've always loved Possessed, but they always seem like the red headed stepchild of the Chaos book, GW never seems to get them right on paper. The plastics on the other hand are a great kit.

The bulk of the figs are done now, just a few details left, mainly highlighting the black on the weapons (well, the chainsword casing as it's the only 'weapon' on the squad) and the eyes - they are going to get the turquoise treatment to act as a spot colour throughout the army.

I am having thoughts on a couple of areas though - im not sure on the flesh - it's been highlighted up and had a red glaze applied to add enough of a red hint to tie it into the armour but im not sure if it needs something else.

The other thing is the armour itself - I can't decide if it needs another highlight or if I should leave the extra highlights to characters to make them pop?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/4%20-%20Chaos/Possessedwip4_zpsd1019e8b.jpg~original

Cheers guys msn-wink.gif

Been plugging away at a unit of Crimson Slaughter Possessed the last couple of days, seeing as they can be taken as troops I though it'd be rude not to, and it finally uses the box I picked up when they were first released.
Im going to start highlighting the main colours next before adding details.
Not the greatest photo i'll admit, i'll get a better one further on.

Serious images of Carnage from Spiderman there!

Well I caved and added another highlight to the red before finishing up the Possessed. Im very pleased with them, even though the first group pic is terrible. With any luck the Crimson Slaughter list will make them a bit more useful, particularly if I bump the unit size up. Going to do a few other things before that though. 

Also put together a unit of Cultists so I can start building the Helcult formation from the recent Helbrute dataslate. Gives me a brief break from painting all that red.

I'm really impressed with how your Possessed have turned out. You've done a great job. How'd you get the flesh tone? I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Hellbrute!

-Tarvik

Cheers Tarvik. The fleshtone was a basecoat of Bugmans Glow washed with Reikland Fleshshade. It then got highlighted with Bugmans Glow, Cadian Fleshtone and final highlights of Kilsev Flesh before being glazed with thinned Bloodletter.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
New project time I think.

Had a few ideas kicking about in my head for a Khorne force for a while, then the Bloodthirster was released. Ok I thought, i'll add one to my normal Chaos army and be done with it. Then the Daemonkin book was announced and was pre-ordered. Not sure what direction i'll go with the force but i'll be starting small given that i've not played any 40K for about 2 years.

Since taking the photo above i've spotted a couple of extra highlights needed on the red but for the most part the skin and horns are done, i'll be moving onto the armour next. Going for a blackened metal finish with the usual brass detailing. More action as it happens......

16913456591_994632208b_c.jpg

Cheers guys. Not much in the way of progress tonight, just the mind numbing tedium of basecoating armour and straps. Speaking of which, i'll be making a start on the rest of it tomorrow, probably by attempting to get some different tones into all the black areas.

Archived