Fanthology -- Lots of work yet to do.

JeffTibbetts

Additional, sorry to hear about the car accident brother hope everyone, including your wallet, is well or at the very least recovering.

Thanks! My fiancé was driving my car. She's a bit banged up, but the other driver was found 100% at fault so the insurance took care of everything. We paid nothing out of pocket. I already got a new car, and her bruises are looking better every day. There may be a chiropractor in her future but we're waiting. 

I'm sorry to hear about some of you experiencing some difficulties but I look forward to seeing the outcome for whoever is left. I don't know if there is any space left but I'd like to contribute if others have dropped out. I have a short story idea or three which I could possibly stretch to 2-3k given the chance. I don't know who to ask or what the process is, but just asking around.

My most recent short is here.

Cheers.

Edit: Even if I couldn't contribute a short story, I'm happy to typeset the entire thing into a PDF or even possibly a .mobi format if anyone's interested.

Um, my story clocks in at 1500 words. I can expand on that before the end of the month, but if we feel like we need a much shorter story in there for variety, i am fine wit the draft I have submitted. 

But there is so much backstory I can add...

I think my story is pretty much where I want it to be for a first draft, but I'll have a quick look and see if I spot something that I should fix.

Jeff: E-mailed you a version 1.1

Any further edits will come as a result of feedback.

Story came out around 2300 words.

I'm sorry to hear about some of you experiencing some difficulties but I look forward to seeing the outcome for whoever is left. I don't know if there is any space left but I'd like to contribute if others have dropped out. I have a short story idea or three which I could possibly stretch to 2-3k given the chance. I don't know who to ask or what the process is, but just asking around.

My most recent short is here.

Cheers.

Edit: Even if I couldn't contribute a short story, I'm happy to typeset the entire thing into a PDF or even possibly a .mobi format if anyone's interested.

Thanks for the offer but MasterHQ will be publishing (or epublishing) the final work. We've only had one that couldn't make it, and it was a very... divergent idea so I don't think we need to backfill. Of course, this is hopefully the first of many so keep an eye out for the next round. I've got a couple of stories that we'd like to hold for that one. 

Um, my story clocks in at 1500 words. I can expand on that before the end of the month, but if we feel like we need a much shorter story in there for variety, i am fine wit the draft I have submitted. 

But there is so much backstory I can add...

I think you can go ahead and work up another 1500 if you want to add some backstory. It's really up to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's time to 'fess up and admit that my mojo has gone with this one. I'm fooling myself if I think that, yes, the next opportunity I get I will get this done. Nope. The feel for this story has completely gone. It's not quite writer's block (there's a story for the Liber Cluster I've still got an interest in atm) but I've hit a brick wall with Mad Dogs and Englishmen. It isn't happening, I'm afraid. sad.png

Apologies for taking two weeks to get to the point where I have to sit down and tell you guys I can't get it done this time around, although I do hold out hope that it can be put on the backburner and will arise for the next fanthology.

Okay, it's time to 'fess up and admit that my mojo has gone with this one. I'm fooling myself if I think that, yes, the next opportunity I get I will get this done. Nope. The feel for this story has completely gone. It's not quite writer's block (there's a story for the Liber Cluster I've still got an interest in atm) but I've hit a brick wall with Mad Dogs and Englishmen. It isn't happening, I'm afraid. sad.png

Apologies for taking two weeks to get to the point where I have to sit down and tell you guys I can't get it done this time around, although I do hold out hope that it can be put on the backburner and will arise for the next fanthology.

Sorry to hear that, but I appreciate you telling us about it. Def hold onto it and we'll hit you up again down the road.

Check your inbox, everybody. Chances are, if you've given me the go ahead on your first draft, you've got someone else's waiting for your (amazing, insightful, helpful) feedback. Give it a read and make sure you hit 'reply-all' with your comments so both I and MasterHQ can read your comments. We'll send them on to the other writer, and I'd also love if we all had a chance to talk in person so we can get to know each other. I know it'll be tough to coordinate, but I'd like to give it a shot. 

If you did NOT get an email, make sure I have your draft and permission to move it along. I'm still waiting on a few of you, and I'll be pairing up the rest of you as soon as you get your stuff in. If you're pretty sure you already sent me your draft or told me to use your original submission and you haven't been emailed yet, PM me to make sure it didn't get lost in the warp. 

Here we go! 

I will be proactive in this process. Expect to see my thoughts and comments alongside your own. Of course, it will take me longer to work through all the stories than it will take each of you. But those who have been contacted for peer review will see at least something from me.

Was just thinking how exactly would you prefer our edits be done? I mean would you like us to red pen the document as it were and back those up with justifications or just give a list of suggestions etc at the end of the document? Or even through a message on here so long as you and MasterHQ were read in?

Also was there a specific sort of editing you wanted at this point? By that I mean do you want edits for fact checking or just pacing, grammar, and general stuff like that?

The email should cover some of that, Ludo, in terms of the kinds of comments I'm looking for. I left it open beyond that because not everyone has the same amount of time, or frankly the same amount to say. I think you can leave as much as you think is helpful to the writer. 

As for how to submit, I'd like them to be via email, using 'reply all' so MasterHQ and I can both see them. I don't care if you simply write it in the email, make comments on the document itself, or attach your own notes document. Ultimately I'd like to get the two writers and HQ and/or myself into a real phone or video chat session so we can just talk it over. The notes are partially to organize our thoughts and in case we can't chat in person. 

Does that kind of make sense or help? I sent along some tips about feedback in the actual email, so maybe give that another look as well. 

Yeah man. I've been pairing people up to keep things even, and I was left with an outlier. In still waiting for a few drafts to come in. You're next once I get another. At this point, actually, I'll probably just keep going even though I haven't heard from the others. My concern is that I'll give you a draft, but your own will end up with someone who's incommunicado for some reason. If it lasts too long we'll have MasterHQ and I jump in I guess. Cool?

Ok gave the story I was given a couple read throughs, and I've sent it back to you with highlighted areas. Hope its helpful. biggrin.png

EDIT: Hopefully the highlighting shows up, give me a shout if it doesn't

I've been checking my e-mail inbox daily for the past week like some kind of deranged addict, but still no e-mail. Any chance I'll get one soon? biggrin.png

Yeah man. I've been pairing people up to keep things even, and I was left with an outlier. In still waiting for a few drafts to come in. You're next once I get another. At this point, actually, I'll probably just keep going even though I haven't heard from the others. My concern is that I'll give you a draft, but your own will end up with someone who's incommunicado for some reason. If it lasts too long we'll have MasterHQ and I jump in I guess. Cool?

Jeff I just emailed you my edits for the draft you sent me. To be honest I've quite enjoyed it, I have the taste of blood as it were, so provided you and HQ think I've done a good job I'd be happy to take a look at Brother Ludovic's piece even if he doesn't get mine. :)

Archived