True-Scale Deathwatch (24/10 - Guardian of the Covenant)

Aquilanus: The Sun Titans aren't mine, alas! They belong to Bruticus; more of his stuff can be found on his website/blog Ex Profundis.

Candleshoes/The Silent/JackDaw: The Iron Snake's a decent idea, though with the Minotaur in the team as well I would have to try to make sure that they both approach the Grecian theme from different angles. I do like the Snakes, though, and will have to go back and read Brothers of the Snake again.

The Silent: The Howling Griffons are a good bet, but the Chapter symbol is a tricky issue! I do like your thinking behind the Apothecary belonging to an Ultramarines-descended Chapter, though.

SanguiniusReborn: The Iron Champion is an interesting idea - I do like that skull design...

Marshal Helstrom: I'm very flattered! PM me if you get a chance and we can discuss things.

JackDaw: PM incoming! I'm flattered to see that my INQ stuff has spread across the net!

+++

So a few different things to share:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Minotaur_zps7ff0bf4f.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Lamenter_zpsd4865694.jpg

My work has stymied somewhat due to a lack of Green Stuff, but I've made some progress on my Minotaur and Lamenter. Both of these models use wider torsos than the Tartaros, so I'm experimenting with cutting the power-armoured back in half and then repairing the gap with Green Stuff. As you can see, the Minotaur has a shield arm, which is pinned into place, allowing me to experiment with the Storm Shield. I'd like to give him a Gladius-type sword, to try to drive home the Spartan idea.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/SW_zps5fecf925.jpg

I'm experimenting with a head on the Space Wolf - this one has quite a nice sense of character. I was reading through the Deathwatch RPG books, and there is an option for Space Wolves to be accompanied by Fenrisian Wolves. I'm not sure about the most recent Space Wolf fluff (I've heard that the Wolves are supposed to be failed initiates?) though I do like the idea of the Space Wolf being accompanied by a wolf companion, much to the chagrin of the rest of the Kill-Team. That said, the Fenrisian wolves kit from GW has Wolves charging frantically at the enemy, and I'm imagining a sinuous and sinister beast coiled around its master. I'm not sure whether I can cobble together a stationary wolf from the Fenrisian Wolf kit - does anyone know of any similar conversions

Edited by Commissar Molotov

I'm being finicky but the principal Greek (Spartan) short sword would be the xiphos. You could look to replicate that design to keep the Greek vibe consistent with the Minotaur, where as a gladius might evoke the Roman/Ultramarine image. 

I want to see paint! Don't be a Darth. Darths are bad. :P

I shall look forward to the PM sir :)

The Wolf looks much better with a bare head, gives him a lot more character and emotion working with that pose. Looking at the wolves, I think a sinuous pose is doable - luckily as its fur all over them, it's quite forgiving in terms of resulting and filling gaps. Definitely worth a try though I think.

The Magos is looking very cool, nice bulk and heft to him which I think is missing from a lot of Magii. The only thing I would change is the drill bit - it looks a little too crude to my eyes compared to the rest of him. Just my opinion though, if it works for you, that's the main thing.

And those Scions/Gears look great. Stop making me want to buy a box for =][=28 goodness....

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, Gal Vorbak seem to be the perfect instant truescale CSM ;)

The guy with the added, spliced-together arm is already looking fantastic -- there's something really powerful in that pose. For the other arm, I am somehow imagining a wicked looking, serrated sword -- just a gut feeling. In any case, with all the tattered parchment on his belt, I think he might make an excellent Coryphaeus to accompany your TS Dark Apostle!

The Gal Vorbak on the right with the mono-hurn would make a terrfic Plague Marine -- it also fits with his warped looking breastplate. The guy with the inverted knee jpint on the left could be Slaaneshi...Tell you what -- why not make each of these a member of one of the cult legions (minus Thousand Sons, perhaps, because they all seem a bit too organic to look like convincing Rubric Marines)?

Regarding the first model, let me just add a shoddy Photoshop mockup of my own -- here's an idea that just came to me when I looked at the model:

csmmelee.jpg

Now the drawing may be absolutely atrocious, but I am serious about the idea: I'll admit it may be very much influenced by my love for the World Eaters, but adding an axe gripped like that could look very awesome -- the severed head would merely be a bonus ;)

On a related note, if you need a chunky chaos weapon or two, just let me know. I am sure we can work something out!

When it comes to the rest of the squad, I like the "First Claw" idea, with several of the models subtly tending towards one of the chaos gods over the others. Maybe this could even be a factor in their background: If you make them into Word Bearers, maybe each of the squad members picking one of the lords of the warp as their patron is a way of keeping the overall allegiance of the squad balanced, so to speak? It could be an interesting alternative to the usual "undivided" approach you see, with each Word Bearer always honouring all of the chaos gods. Anyway, just an idea...

Morgaddon looks the business, there's a nice contrast between the oversized claw (clear echo of Horus/Abaddon) and the fairly slim regular Astartes right arm, and then the incipient weirdness of the torso and legs. The head works well, simple yet the horns echo that corrupting touch of the warp.

The icon bearer...hmm. Its a personal thing, but I don't much like Astartes carrying flags and icons - for me, they should be all about combat effectiveness and humping round a flag in one hand isn't that effective. Having said that - these are necessarily baroque and gothic Traitors, so perhaps an icon will work. Nurgles touch is still fitting - who better to carry the warbands colours than the unstoppable bloated and immovable scion of Nurgle?

Doing these chaps as true veterans of the Long War - inducted as Sons of Horus, walked Terra, fled the Scouring, took the Black with Abaddon - is a lovely idea. The Black Legion get short shrift sometimes in favour of the 'cooler' traitors, which is a shame as they should be one of the ideals for the Traitor Legions. Are you still thinking of having at least one Astartes favouring each of the gods?

Here's the first Marine I made, who I see as the leader of this band, and who I've tentatively named Morgaddon. With the lightning claw, I sort of think that he's emulating Horus in some ways. I've lightly green-stuffed back some of the detail on the breastplate, and I was planning to add a brass-etched eye of Horus over it - though damaged over time. I had thought that perhaps these warriors still bear the scars (literal and figurative) from the battle for Terra.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/CSM4.jpg

love him!

fantastic models and conversions! i'm certainly jealous of your connections and being able to get some fantastic FW stuff:wink:

Edited by Argent aquila

Some lovely work chap, like the ideas coming through so far.

Couple of points on Morgaddon that have come to me - Im not sure he needs the cloak, or if you feel strongly about it, not one that big. As a minor warleader i'd of thought more along the lines of more trophies/racks. Wouldn't want to cover the details on the backwards jointed leg myself.

Second is the pistol. Given the rest of the detail going on around the rest of the figure, the pistol looks a little plain. I'd try and either get a bit more detail on it (hanging icons, fetishes that kind of thing) or swap it out for one of the chaos pistols.

Nothing wrong with a cloak IMO. There's lots of historical precedent of your average bod having a cloak - they have practical use beyond being a status symbol. You don't necessarily have to give him such a large one, however, you could GS a smaller one made of stretched skin for example? It would have the same effect, but slightly diminished.

My latest Sergeant has a cape and it doesn't exactly mark him out as a commander because he (and your model) aren't overly ornate in their other trappings.

Edited by Blissful Brushes

I like the idea of a cloak (no capes! :biggrin.:)

If you're after something a bit different, you might consider a different sort of cape.

Toga style might look good, attached with a large brooch (in the shape of the Eye of Horus?) on the left of the chest, like the Sicarius model. The asymmetry would echo the model's deformed body, and fit in with the idea that he wants to hide a physical deformation. 

A short hooded cloak that covers the shoulders, with the hood down on his back, might be fun. It's got a certain mediaeval feel, and you could play around with a dagged or crenellated edge around the bottom.

A long hooded cloak would also look good, potentially giving a resourceful, ranger feel.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here - I think no cloak. I get that maybe the leg could be seen as weak, or something he would want to hide.....but I always remember the Black Legion as courting the favour of the Gods and seeing every touch of the Warp as a blessing. I mean, it's not withered or useless or anything, it's just not an obviously powerful mutation.

Maybe it's a punishment, that he stoically bears as a reminder of his moment of weakness?

Maybe it's avian look betrays the touch of Tzeentch, the mark of the Schemer perfect for the tactical warband leader?

Maybe he celebrates it and accepts it as a mark of his evolution from the hidebound and rigid Astartes into something more, smother intrinsically other.

From a purely visual point of view, I think it provides a real nice contrast to the rest of his bulky, swollen frame - a definite point of interest. Celebrate it, keep it in the open, unhidden by cloaks.

Also, capes or cloaks always struck me as a war zone hazard - why wrap yourself in a flammable thing liable to get caught or trapped on wreckage etc?

Just my personal opinion, but I think he would be better served by a decent sized powerpack and trophy racks in the style of the 2nd ed Chaos Terminators.

Second is the pistol. Given the rest of the detail going on around the rest of the figure, the pistol looks a little plain. I'd try and either get a bit more detail on it (hanging icons, fetishes that kind of thing) or swap it out for one of the chaos pistols.

agreed with the pistol, needs something, more. maybe bayonet underside like the one outta the raptor kit, albeit bigger?

I'd go with no cloak. buuuuut........to bulk out the model a bit, an armored pseudo mechanical tail that runs up into a spinal column behind the power pack (imagine necron lord-esque style) would be bad ass on him...it could give the the implied movement that the cloak design you drew shows, and also could exemplify mutation, like Jackdaw said about tzeentch shenanigans. if you go that route that is.:tongue.:

Edited by Argent aquila