My Sisters (Order of the Vermilion Veil)

tvih

• 2 weeks later...

Had two 1000pt matches against a Tyranid player today with a SoB+IG list. Good news... won both matches - however the lists, though especially his, weren't exactly optimized, but that was by design. Bad news? Can't help thinking how bad my Sisters vehicles' plain silver paint "scheme" looks next to the new Steel Legion vehicles :sad.:

http://i.imgur.com/2C05api.jpg

A few additional pics:

http://i.imgur.com/QUKygsch.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6sl65M1h.jpg

Oh, and in other news received the "made to order" Inquisitors. I hadn't realized the heads have those "braids" on the backside. I'm not sure I can actually remove the heads cleanly enough like I originally planned on trying :( Also the mace one came with a snapped off mace :dry.:

• 1 month later...

Aside from the ongoing vehicle painting problem I've been thinking recently about how I have way, way too many bolter sisters. I mean let's face it, with Sisters you want MSU special weapon spam to be effective. For troops you need two bolters per squad, three if you use one regular Sister as a Superior. Maybe figure an extra wound here or there for Retris or Dominions. I probably wouldn't need more than a dozen or so bolters, yet I have at least 32! I've been thinking of trying to sell off some, but dunno if bolter-only sisters even sell, considering others won't likely need all that many bolter models either. If only metal wasn't so crazy to convert, could really use some of those special weapons. So many mixed Castellans of the Imperium detachment builds I'd like to try, but would need more of 'em specials!

Also been doing preliminary work on Sisters of Silence. Realized I'd need like two more kits of 5 of them to have a full CC squad and then a proper witch-burner unit in the Sororitas traditioon. Sigh.

I never kill absolutely anything at all with bolters so fielding bolter models beyond the bare minimum has always felt rather pointless. For sisters the only problem with MSU is obviously the cost of those special weapons... though of course my metal Guard suffers from the same as well. If the plastic sisters do ever arrive, I just hope a kit comes with enough special weapons to not have to make bolter models (or that at least it'd be reasonably easy to convert more with SM weapons).

Bolters really only seem to do something when you fire a LOT of bullets at things. Otherwise something like bolter fire vs IG troops works well...however only low toughness and light armored units will ever reliably die to it.

A full blob squad will kill things, that is, if they get into range without getting shot to pieces :biggrin.: All I was saying is that I don't have fun playing with a bunch of small units in transports. I need some beefier units to move around the board. Hence, the 20 Sister blob BSS. It's actually pretty useful as a reactionary unit if your opponent deep strikes. It can take a lot of hits, especially with a couple priests thrown in. Not necessarily an optimal choice, but not useless either.

Edited by Servant of Dante

In my new gaming group there's one ork player and one tyranid player. That aside I'm the only one with IG (and I do have orks, just... unfinished). Marines are the most common, of course. No Eldar or Dark Eldar that I know of. Doesn't really increase the "allure" of bolters too much unfortunately.

In my new gaming group there's one ork player and one tyranid player. That aside I'm the only one with IG (and I do have orks, just... unfinished). Marines are the most common, of course. No Eldar or Dark Eldar that I know of. Doesn't really increase the "allure" of bolters too much unfortunately.

At least Orks die to fire! And sisters are really good at fire.

I play against mostly marines, but I'm stubborn so I take sub optimal units (and always test at unmodified Leadership) anyway. Enough bolters and you'll kill one or two marines :biggrin.:

But if I'm being realistic, my Ld is probably something like 5 or 6, so . . .

Edited by Servant of Dante

Love to see Argent Shroud armies. One small query, have you considered using washes? A watered down nuln oil (or possibly even a blue wash) would really give the silver depth. Similarly, very watered down black (or possibly purple?!) could make the white hair pop. :)

The silver armor (on the infantry) IS washed :tongue.: There's even a comparison image back there of the painting stages :smile.:

Sorry! I skimmed through. Must have missed it. Might just be lighting or my bad eyesight.

• 1 year later...

Trying to get up to speed on things again. Tallied up my Sisters force in BattleScribe and it seems that I have about 1900 points worth of Sisters currently that I could fit into a Battalion Detachment, with all HQ, Elite and Troop slots used. If I spread it out to two Battalions (which would kinda make sense CP-wise) I could sneak in a fourth HQ to get a purely Sisters list at roughly 2k without using fortifications or such, but that really is just about every single Sisters model I have used. To date I haven't ever played a pure Sisters list, it's always been combined with IG - then again I've only played six games with the Sisters+IG combo either, though notably at a much higher success rate than my marine lists, for some reason.

Oh, and of course there's the issue of easily more than half of the infantry models being unpainted as of yet :tongue.:

Edited by tvih

Nice. Have you considered running a Brigade? Do you have the heavy choices to fill the slots? More CP.

Pure sisters looks gorgeous on the table.

Cant really shame you for not having all your models painted, still on that mission myself. Good luck with that, get stuck into it! :)

For a brigade I'd need one more heavy support and 1-2 fast attack. I suppose I might be able to do it by having bolter-only Retributor and Dominion squads and splitting the Seraphims into two units. But I'm not sure if I have enough Seraphim Superiors to have two in those roles while having at least one to go with Celestine as a Geminae - I only have the old Celestine model so far. I'd need to check.

Regarding vehicle paint scheme, pure silver vehicles can be a pain, have you considered swapping your colours "inside out"? Doing the vehicles red or white (maybe not white...) to match the sisters robes, and keeping the silver for all the accents (to match the sisters armour). Could provide a bit more contrast on the table.

From experience, bolter sisters will tend to sell, but I agree that MSU is the way to go. In my 2000pts I run three squads of bare bones BSS to fill troop slots for the Battalion and to screen out my backfield, those are the only bolter armed girls in the list. Remainder is either rets, doms or seraphim. If you have 32 girls it could be worth selling some to "reinvest" into scooping up special weapon girls. As bad as it is...most special weapons are actually cheaper on the GW site than ebay resellers, unless you get really lucky. ask around the local community too, it's amazing how many players tend to have a few girls kicking around in the closet. Good luck!

Same goes for Celestine, I have the old metal model and 2 of the new geminae. A lot of imperial soup players will buy Celestine but have no interest in the twins, ask around! Cheers!

I think the only one with any Sisters in my sort-of-gaming-group only has some bolter ones. I could certainly use more special weapons, but for the price can't justify it right now. My Sisters collection will likely stay as-is* until plastics get released unless I run out of things to paint for all of my armies, which is rather unlikely as there's easily at least 6000 points worth of completely unpainted things, in addition to half-painted things. Even just the 3000+ points of orks are unlikely to ever get finished.

*Possible exception being the new Celestine, and I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want the plastic Geminae since they make Celestine all the better? The old Celestine model is certainly easier to bring to matches though. Not that I've actually ever used her so far. Need to repaint her cloak a bit better before I do, too.

Nice army! Like it!

Regarding models weapon optionsd - i'm really annoyed that seraphim superior may replace ONLY ONE bolt pistol with plasma pistol.

And there is no model with this options, so conversions... i guess.

seraphim superior may replace ONLY ONE bolt pistol with plasma pistol.

I've got a 'Phim superior on my shelf right now, stock from the blister with a powersword and plasma pistol. They might not sell these anymore, but part of the mandate of the index books is to cover off legacy options like these.

Yeah, well but there are NO models with bolt pistol and power sword or bolt pistol and plasma pistol, i guess. But those are still legal options of loadouts.

And bp and pp is most optimal costwise.

Yeah, well but there are NO models with bolt pistol and power sword or bolt pistol and plasma pistol, i guess. But those are still legal options of loadouts.

And bp and pp is most optimal costwise.

There is a model with bolt and power. It's just out of print like most of our army.