Nostraman Runic Alphabet And Numerals Font & FW Runes too

Noctem Cultor

I think, there are two different styles being shown. Some of the symbols, are being shown in coffin-like outlines. Me personally, I assume those are numbers. Or letters being used to represent a specific concept or word while the other runes are being used to tell entire stories, going by the complete of any type of known or obvious punctuation, ie lack of spacing or obvious break in the line of runes.

So if we go by the runes, we would have to establish three things. Punctuation/grammar. Definition. And structure.

How are sentences organized and broken down?

What do the runes mean and what is the significance of some of the runes being enclosed in other symbols and being separated from the rest?

If the runes are words and not letters, what is the process that determines how the word is created?

Since Nostraman is supposed to be deceptively poetic and complex, it strikes me as being a rune-based language with many, many, many symbols, some of which represent the same word, but in different circumstances(kill in the english language for example) or different words representing the same concept in specific circumstances(such as the Hebrew language having specific words for murder, accidental death, self-defense and suicide but no word for "kill" in general).

Gawd I`m getting so hype about all that runes stuff right now *O*

I`d would go with theory that runes in coffins are numbers. Maybe that set of runes before are letters+numbers?

Also, author might have used different aplhabet than standard english one. For ex. Greek one have 24 letters, and Polish one 32 :)

And we should also consider asian typing, as you know for ex. Japaneesee have hiragana as basic alphabet and kanjii as symbols that represents actual words.

^^both Kol Saresk and Piro, I agree with what you said.

Also, we know that at least one rune (that for Soul Hunter) is a combination of two letters. So perhaps runes are combination of letters, which together yield specific or context-based meaning? Not that this thought makes it any easier for us, but it's worth mentioning I think. msn-wink.gif

I would add that I don't think Nostraman runic script uses any punctuation. Because a. we don't see punctuation anywhere and b. because we know it has roots from High Gothic - which is basically Latin - and true Roman Latin has no punctuation except for the odd period here and there -there's no comma's, colons, exclamation/question marks, etc. If we're going to use periods I would advocate the · and not the .

Also, I think it is interesting we see this rune many times on the pics Conn Ereman made.

http://i.imgur.com/Q5xmFIb.png http://i.imgur.com/EwQ5Ffa.png http://i.imgur.com/4TDBXut.png

Perhaps we could start with it's meaning?

Also, the rightmost one has that rune doubled, which also shows here:

http://i.imgur.com/FzIxR3b.png

What would that mean and does it have any relation to the other one?

I have 2 ideas about what could it mean.

1.numbers. it could stand for example for company number or claw.

2. Maybe it's way to show hierarchy among them? Like their degrees? (I'm not sure if I translate it good)

I think the blood-sigils are, by the nature of how they are put on, temporary, and so have temporary meanings. Considering the source of so many of these images, they may be specific to Isstvan. And considering the temporary nature of Chapter/battalion-level structures, perhaps related to that as well or instead of.

But I would differentiate between the blood symbols and the carved symbols, which imply permanence. An oath, a title, a creed, or something.

I think the blood-sigils are, by the nature of how they are put on, temporary, and so have temporary meanings. Considering the source of so many of these images, they may be specific to Isstvan. And considering the temporary nature of Chapter/battalion-level structures, perhaps related to that as well or instead of.

But I would differentiate between the blood symbols and the carved symbols, which imply permanence. An oath, a title, a creed, or something.

Could still be Death. In blood-sigil "your life ended by my hand", permanent "life ender"/ "Peace Bringer" with peace being death, but in a poetic form.

I appear to be thinking to much, I apologise

Maybe this are some kinda battle marks? Like, they put them at the beggining of hunting for their prey, like tribal people used to do. So some kind of lucky mark?

I think the best thing to do would be to not define it restrictively, even if we do come to a communal agreement on specific meanings, but to come up with as many believable, potential meanings that we can. That way, any Night Lord player can take what comes out of this and find something they like, or get inspiration to twist meanings around.

For instance, maybe the blood-sigils are one of the possibilities listed above, or maybe some Night Lords utilize them as Nostraman oaths of moment, twisted declarations of murderous inent. Or maybe, despite the temporary nature of using blood to make the markings, they are something more meaningful to the Night Lord than the carved sigils because of the use of blood.

Were any of these on the picture of the Crimson Son Night Lord? This could be a type of IFF identifier. Notice how it is reversed in one picture? Then again, that reversal could be creating a completely different meaning entirely.

The reverse could change the meaning so for example could mean Death and then reflect means life.

The blood Runes are likely to be oaths or a kill marking. Its the fact that they are written in blood that makes me think they have a more fleeting meaning like Vindication of a target is complete.

I am having issues to locate the name of the Artist, so I cant track down an email to ask for info on the runes.

well other languages have on average 26 letters but then someone pointed out to my that that could be 0-9 as well as the alphabet...I was thinking that since their language was "flowery" I was thinking that extra letters and what not...

but the 35 runes would make sense with numbers and letters...

Crimson Son was unmarked.

So maybe this blood rune could have been a simple IFF tag to separate those the Night Lords chose to purge during Istvaan(like the Crimson Sons) from the those who were simply targets of opportunity(like that one Terminator who was gunned down from behind).

well other languages have on average 26 letters but then someone pointed out to my that that could be 0-9 as well as the alphabet...I was thinking that since their language was "flowery" I was thinking that extra letters and what not...

but the 35 runes would make sense with numbers and letters...

I just mentioned that possibility, but I think letters+ numbers makes better sense.

http://i.imgur.com/O9mBjld.png

But If we decide to think that way, look at 2nd symbol on 2nd row. Also 5th in 5th row. They ar the same.

And they are one of those blood marks. It would be really great If there will be any pssibility of better quality, It`s hard to understands some runes, I`ll try tommorow to rewrite them from all pictures co maybe somenthing will be clearer smile.png

I have one more suggestion. Those runes might not work as letters, but as syllabels or sets of few letters like "ks" or "nox". I don`t remeber it well but I think there was some accient language that worked this way, they didn`t used all leters that we know so they had diferent writing system.

Its a Poem written in Nostroman Verse.

Ode to Vindication.

Would make sense for a battle cry or something similar to have a repeated line.

**Edit**

Also sent an email to Forgeworld to hopefully track down the name of the artist of those stunning runes.

I have updated the thread title also and added the missing (for some reason) clean version of my Rune Dialect

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/NostramanRunicAlphabet_zpsf54a9fe0.jpg

And here`s unpolished vector version.  With cleaned version from Noctem  I should make few improvements, and probbly change sizes of few runes.http://s4.postimg.org/jzmq9juwd/runy_01.png

I think I`ll try to prepare tommorow vectors based on those screens form Conn Eremon, but I`d really would like better, more visible photos if therer would be any chance for that >...<

There could be runes for for sound combinations such as th, or the spanish enye (ñ), there is also a chance that two or three runes may represent a single letter, either in its position in a word, such as the two greek character that represents the Roman S, one in a word, and one for the ending of a word, or just to convey a different emphasis on the sound of a letter (c=se, c=k). When thinking about language structure you have to try and get your head out of modern English which is a clunky hybrid language with a :cussty grammar structure!

Personally, to me the runes look germanic, but more flowing, however if I was to build the language I would look to Hebrew, where words can take on different meanings or Chinese characters where the characters can be combined to convey more complex meanings.

Reposting the page numbers, if anyone can take better quality pictures:

Massacre, pgs: 96, 102, 104, 105, 108, 109 & 238.

Just to point out, the large block of runes was on the wing of a Storm Eagle. Unlikely to just be an alphanumeric sequence set.

Might be worthwhile to base it on a Syllabaric Set.

Forgeworld got back to me saying that some artwork is worked on by several artists (all mentioned at the front of Massacre)

So I am unsure how to track the elusive Rune artist down... Unless they read this and respond.

It is one or more of the following

Kenton Mills, Dominik Oedinger, Rachel Pierce, Rhys Pugh, Paul Rudge, Ian Strickland, Bethan Beynon-Hughes, Chris Bristow & Marc Elliott.

I will see if I can contact any via email and if they can shed any light on the creator etc.

http://i.imgur.com/kfSTsUX.png

http://i.imgur.com/PQpF7Ns.png

I guess those marks on arm ans shoulderpad are "counting" symbols. You know like how prisoners in jail do it.

And If yes, then what could have been so important to make that memoriae? 

I believe that they are likely to be a on the fly kill count. To be honest it looks more like Artistic licence than anything that matches fluff as it isn't Runic or even in Standard SM Numerals style.

Maybe Night Lords just hate the idea of conforming or maybe these are Terran Night Lords who were taken from Prisons so it is a left over from their memories/habits there.

more or less all runes I could decipher from photos. I`ll make cleaner version as soon as possible ;)http://s2.postimg.org/m616z0jnd/runes.png

I also noticed some ot them are often in the same sequences, I`ll make later another sheet where those connections would be visible. I`ll add ( for now) random letters to those runes so It would be eaiser for us to say about which rune we are talking about right now ;)

What do you think about those 2 runes in coffin shape? They are shown on shoulderpands and stuff often too .

I believe that they are likely to be a on the fly kill count. To be honest it looks more like Artistic licence than anything that matches fluff as it isn't Runic or even in Standard SM Numerals style.

Maybe Night Lords just hate the idea of conforming or maybe these are Terran Night Lords who were taken from Prisons so it is a left over from their memories/habits there.

If they were counting each prey, whole aromor would be scratched too soon :D
Maybe they doin it only when they got significant prey?

I like idea about prison ;) 

Archived