[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Well, there is at least one pic of a assault trooper in Visions of Heresy, so it works for me. ;)

I am running them in combination with a Caestus filled with Deathshroud and the other players fear them.

It seems a bit odd, but it effectively takes away the malus of the Reaping "non running“ RoW.

Well, there is at least one pic of a assault trooper in Visions of Heresy, so it works for me. :wink:

I am running them in combination with a Caestus filled with Deathshroud and the other players fear them.

It seems a bit odd, but it effectively takes away the malus of the Reaping "non running“ RoW.

What's cannon fluffy and what isn't is not a bad thing. If you can come up with interesting ways to play units and model them in an awesome way, you should always go for it.

That's why i love 30k! Almost infinite possibilities and a great community...

BTT: has anyone found a way to get some use out of scythes or do you just use them because rule of cool?

They work well on bikes and jetbikes. If terminators move to larger bases like regular marines, It will also be a slight buff to Deathshroud.

most of the DG's best units ruleswise are unfluffy. Outriders, Jetbikes, Assault Marines, Deep Strikers, Librarians... It is no wonder the DG got battered In the heresy.

Yeah, They definitely are the ones who benefit from RAD grenades the most. Always a good opportunity to make a loyalist DG theme ;)

So what are your guys thoughts on mortarion? The Lord of reapers is tough, though not as tough as Vulkan sadly. Who would you pair him with? The terminators?

Not as Tough as Vulkan?! Hes T7, 7 Wounds and can re-roll failed FNP and IWND rolls and has a 2+/4++ with a bunch of other buffs to boot.

I dont know about you, but I dont think even Vulkan matches that. He comes close but hes not the head honcho of toughness.

Mortarion can also "Teleport"

Huh I completely missed the re roll IWND and FNP. The main reason I say that vulkans tougher is that he's got that ability to make plasma and lascannons be a joke against him. Also isn't Vulkan T7 as well? One thing that could be entertaining would be to drop pod mortarion and a squad is veterans and then have mortarion teleport. Though I think he's the best when paired with reaping lists. Out of the 4 from betrayal I think the death guard come out on top generally. They don't have as much dead weight as the other legions and have good legion Rules.

Mortarion's defences; T7, 7 wounds Eternal Warrior, 2+/4++, Fear tests at -1 Ld, Deny the Witch on a 4+ rather than 5+, rerolls IWND and failed Toughness. 

Vulkan; T7, 6 wounds, Eternal Warrior, 2+/3++, immune to wounds of Plasma Strength and Down, rerolls failed IWND and Deny the Wictch (55% compared to Mortarions 50%), with a Concussive melee weapon to take on EW enemies.

Essentially, the crux of it they are roughly equal, but Mortarion has +1 wound in place of Vulkans 3++. As for offence; well, it's safe to say that Dawnbringer is a better weapon, S10 AP1 Concussive beating Unwieldy S7 AP2 with Sunder (against AV13 Contemptor, Vulkan has a 67% chance of causing a Glance, Morty has a 30% chance). Sure, Morty has more attacks, but that's not going to outweigh it.

On paper, Vulkan is the strongest primarch; and the other 3 strongest Primarchs, Horus, Curze and Corax, well - Horus is the only one who stands a chance, the other two lose their main strength of hit and run. If Angron doesn't kill him on the charge, he loses 2 attacks from Rage, and is striking afterwards, and with only 5 wounds, he is dead quicker than any other Primarch. Fulgrim is reliant on his high Initiative, and seeing as Concussive actually reduces his Initiative rather than just the stage at which he fights in combat, that means he is severely hamstrung.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

Vulkan's T7, Hesh.

Ferrus is probably better at Primarch fights, seeing as he has more attacks and ID doesn't make a difference. Still, in general Vulkan's UTTERBULL:cuss hammer wins out.

EDIT: wouldn't it be higher than 67% chance to glance? He has armourbane, remember.

Edited by Raktra

@Raktra, could've sworn I wrote 7. Eh. Cheers either way!

Isn't Ferrus technically better than vulkan due to shooting ability and servo arm?

I wouldn't put Ferrus's shooting up to much. It's okay, and 2 Haywire shots or 4 Plasma Shots is decent, but then again, Mortarion has the Lantern, and Vulkan has a weapon functionally the same in stats to plasma which if placed properly can kill a lot more. 

One of my "would be cool" formations has been

Ferrus (3)

Terminator Chaplain, Grav Gauntlet (2)

10 Gorgon Terminators, 2x Graviton Guns (20)

The unit gets a close a possible to enemy Super Heavy with Outflank, Disembarks, then unleashes 9 Haywire hits on enemy vehicle. Of course, that's ~1270 points, and I could pick up ~16 Grav Rapiers for that cost.

@Raktra, could've sworn I wrote 7. Eh. Cheers either way!

Isn't Ferrus technically better than vulkan due to shooting ability and servo arm?

I wouldn't put Ferrus's shooting up to much. It's okay, and 2 Haywire shots or 4 Plasma Shots is decent, but then again, Mortarion has the Lantern, and Vulkan has a weapon functionally the same in stats to plasma which if placed properly can kill a lot more. 

One of my "would be cool" formations has been

Ferrus (3)

Terminator Chaplain, Grav Gauntlet (2)

10 Gorgon Terminators, 2x Graviton Guns (20)

The unit gets a close a possible to enemy Super Heavy with Outflank, Disembarks, then unleashes 9 Haywire hits on enemy vehicle. Of course, that's ~1270 points, and I could pick up ~16 Grav Rapiers for that cost.

Maybe it's 16 grav rapiers, but grav rapiers can't hold the line when the going gets tough! Also, that's 5.3 elite slots ;)

So how do you tank hunt with DG? They seem great at clearing infantry if they can get there.

Under The Reaping, since Vets, HWS and 1 unit of Deathshroud can be respectively taken as non-compulsory troops and tied into your HQ choice, you have lots of space for good tank hunting units. It's just that people tend to get carried away with theme, or do not play high enough point levels where this benefit can truly kick in.

For range options, You can take 

Rapier Squads

Predator squads or any flavour of Sicaran

The New Vindicator has lots of potential against non-spartan targets.

A potent tank hunting lord of war. The typhon really embodies the values of the Death guard and can pack quite a punch, if not a fellblade with the silly haywire volkite of death by snoo snoo.

A Praevian with Castellax toting Darkfire Lances

So how do you tank hunt with DG? They seem great at clearing infantry if they can get there.

Under The Reaping, since Vets, HWS and 1 unit of Deathshroud can be respectively taken as non-compulsory troops and tied into your HQ choice, you have lots of space for good tank hunting units. It's just that people tend to get carried away with theme, or do not play high enough point levels where this benefit can truly kick in.

Rapier Squads

A potent tank hunting lord of war. The typhon really embodies the values of the Death guard and can pack quite a punch, if not a fellblade with the silly haywire volkite of death by snoo snoo.

*cough*TheGlaiveIsTheVolkiteOne*cough*

Rapier Squads

*cough*TheGlaiveIsTheVolkiteOne*cough*

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S CALLED, I ONLY KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT TAKES A MAN'S LIFE!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sx4NGQorzhM/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Wolf_Pack

Okies... getting the thread back on track and into the firing line, I have some questions for you guys.

I have added a Death Guard Praevian to my collection along with 2x Castellax w/Darkfire cannons.  The idea being that they sit in cover or so at the rear and provide support while my Sicarans and Contemptors get stuck in supporting the tactical blobs.

Question 1) ...Flamers or Bolters on the Castellax w/Darkfire?

Question 2) ...Upgrade the Flamers to Chem Munitions?