[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

So I'm currently building a 2500pt list and unsure if to play infiltrating 'Morturg missile' or The reaping.

One thing that I'm not sure of, but think could work is legion jetbikes or Preator on jetbike - but using power scythes to take advantage of the big bases. Could this work? How would such a unit look like for maximum devastation?

Considering the amount of attacks a Praetor can have with current gear setups, he would need extreme circumstances to actually gain benefits. A sergeant or Consul however....

So I'm currently building a 2500pt list and unsure if to play infiltrating 'Morturg missile' or The reaping.

One thing that I'm not sure of, but think could work is legion jetbikes or Preator on jetbike - but using power scythes to take advantage of the big bases. Could this work? How would such a unit look like for maximum devastation?

Considering the amount of attacks a Praetor can have with current gear setups, he would need extreme circumstances to actually gain benefits. A sergeant or Consul however....

Well command squads are WS5 and the banner bearer has two wounds too, so that could be an option. scythes are pricy though, and I'm not convinced that would perform better than swords against high numbers of models?

Houserule it as having the rampage special rule. Makes the scythes useable.

I can REALLY get behind that.

Interesting that the tactic becomes situationally useful against units like Imperial Fist breachers, whose rules encourage them to be in base contact...

The problem is that they can be in base to base contact and not have more than 2-3 models in contact with terminators. especially in a tight phalanx formation, they won't spread out around the base easy.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

Houserule it as having the rampage special rule. Makes the scythes useable.

I can REALLY get behind that.

Interesting that the tactic becomes situationally useful against units like Imperial Fist breachers, whose rules encourage them to be in base contact...

The problem is that they can be in base to base contact and not have more than 2-3 models in contact with terminators. especially in a tight phalanx formation, they won't spread out around the base easy.

Whilst i agree with the idea of rampage, it is just a wish and it wont fly in most games. As such, im going to have to say i dont think its a very good tactic!  :tongue.:

I think we need to remember that a model with a power scythe can choose to hit models in base OR use the standard number of attacks in a sweep. So there is no real downside of not performing sweep as it becomes an S5 Ap2 sword instead - the wielder doesn't lose attacks.  But the potential to hit lots of models is there if you can place your man correctly. This is why i was asking about scythes mounted on jetbikes (command squad, consul, preator or normal jetbike) - the larger bases mean you can touch more things in base contact, and the speed of the jetbike means you are much more likely to reach combat compared to deathshroud. Sure the deathshroud have 2 wounds, but they need a transport first to get there and have little in the way of ranged weaponry.

so i guess the question is, how does the scythe compare to other power weapons / lightning claw / PFist ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just getting into Death Guard as I get closer to finishing up my Iron Hands.

I really like Death Shroud and Grave Wardens but find I lack a solid answer my opponents large Terminator blobs (usually with a Praetor, lots of plasma and Power/Chain Fists. Delivered in a Spartan).

Any suggestions ?

I'm just getting into Death Guard as I get closer to finishing up my Iron Hands.

I really like Death Shroud and Grave Wardens but find I lack a solid answer my opponents large Terminator blobs (usually with a Praetor, lots of plasma and Power/Chain Fists. Delivered in a Spartan).

Any suggestions ?

With DG, I use Medusa Artillery against Terminators. I use Rapier Laser Destroyers or Assault Squads with Melta Bombs against Spartans.

in the event of FNP terminators, break out melta.

Failing that, Rad Nades and Shred Scoring Heavy Flamers gets you up to 10 templates followed by 10d3 autohit s5 with a reroll when they charge. Stack on Misfortune (dg should be spamming Psykers if possible) and you nix squads.

Other than that, MeltaPreds, Caestus, and Plasma Deredeos are immense against terms unless you want to try Rhino Rush Seekers.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry id it's been discussed before but what's better in your guys opinions, Preator and the Reaping (or another one that allows it, not too familiar with the rules there...) or Crysos Morturg and infiltrating nasties such as grave wardens, heavy support chem flamers & my fluffy favorite, Destroyers (Infiltrate, jump, counter attack and rad missiles with Phosphex bombs. Yummy!) Also infiltrating vehicle squads or dedicated LR...

I'm torn because extra slots for Heavy squads is awesome, as is move through cover and RAD grenades!

Edited by Charlo

Since I don't get to game at all at present, I can't provide much info.  Read through this thread if you haven't already, it should help.  There doesn't seem to be a collectively satisfying DG themed flufftastic list using The Reaping that everyone can agree on which satisfies the criteria of themed and 'award winning' list etc - at least that I am aware of.

It's a funny one from the discussions I've had with people.  Trying to play into the strengths of the DG in regards their RoW having HSS's as troops kind of reduces your point to model effectiveness (how many tanks could your single LasC squad buy?).  Whilst heavy squads seem to be viable, there are often better options to spend points on depending on the size of your list and better bang for value.

The Crysos approach seems to have some funky options if you like that style of play, but you need to make sure your list caters for it.  The fact he does not get Master of the Legion for accessing RoW's really hurts compared to other Legion special chars and infiltrating options.  Be warned, you might find half your army list becomes unsupported and not able to defend the counter attack once Crysos puts your units on the board, since the other half will be elsewhere.

If Crysos had MotL, you'd probably see his lists all over the shot, sadly that isn't the case.  I haven't read anything to say that having lots of heavy squads is better than the other heavy options, on that line of thought I have chosen to steer away from spamming Heavy squads in the troops section.  But there's nothing wrong with taking a squad or two with The Reaping, just be mindful of what use will they be and how many points you invest compared to the other options available to you.

• 1 month later...

Moritat with Phasewalker in "The Reaping".

As everyone gets move through cover surely you can just bomb about the board not caring? Only issue I think is that it counts as deep strike, which the RoW doesn't allow... 

Not read the actual rules just some online summaries so what do you sons of the reaper think?

Reading up on this now I have the books on me:

Reaping Deep Strike Limitation described as:

Detatchments using this rite of war may not deploy models using the deep strike rule (units which must deploy by this method therefore cannot be chosen as a part of this detachment).

Phase Walker Described as:

Having been moved, the character counts as having deployed via Deep Strike, and so counts as having moved, but may shoot, run, etc, as normal

So sadly, it seems this little combo is all but dead :(

I guess Alpha Legion could do it with Mutable Tactics still though.

May have been mentioned before, infiltrating veterans with sniper using Morturg. Especially hilarious as can be blessed with endurance and sniper can apply to heavy flamers with shred. 

Its a super-nasty combo in Zone Mortalis since Templates gain Shred for Free or +1S if they already have shred.

Same for a Sally Tac Vet Squad with Dual Flamers, Sniper; bonus is that they don't have Gets Hot!

Edited by Slipstreams

Deploying via Deep Strike, and moving are two different things. You only count as having deployed after the move. If ot jad said 'this counts as' i'd agree.

Hmm it's a toss up, as you still count as deploying by Deep Strike. It doesn't use the word "like" it says you count it as a deep strike deployment, which the reaping does not allow for :(

Its really a toss up as the order of operations just falls apart by the end. The character counts as being deployed via deepstrike, but only after all of his actions have been carried out; none of his movement in of its self is illegal. However, completing the phase walk conflicts directly with the reaping as he now counts as doing something hes not allowed to do.

IMO I'd allow it simply because it can be argued to death semantically either way, and it adds some flexibility to a mediocre RoW. That being said, the entire point is to have a very slow and inflexible force so maybe zipping across the table breaks the theme smewhat

I thought that too then I looked at Mortarion with his jumping about and it inspired me. A Death Guard Moritat should be death incarnate, strike if and when they please, while the inevitability of the rest of the force crashes into the enemy :P

I'd imagine unless you came across some VERY read up opponents no one would even bat an eye lid as you'd need to know a few rules from different books.

Again, I wouldn't really have a problem with it as morty can do something similar (oh jeeze Rick), but imo the problem would never come up as I'd never take the reaping to start with.

....*urrrrrp*, I guess if I do get around to DG I now need that Moritat with the phase Walker so I can call him Rick and say he has a portal gun :D