A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

I wasn't going to post this until it was anywhere near the WIP stage but I'm really excited about this project. It's so early stages it's laughable (note greenstuff dribble used to designate base parameters) but, hopefully, it'll be something to be proud of when finished. It's a display base for the Praetor I'm building - I figured, since the Horus Heresy Character Series is a bit out of my price market, why not build my own homage to it?

Not a single thing here is glued, it's a dry-fit and I'm still trying to get the layout of the display base right. Still have to think of some cool points of interest to add on the base foreground, and on the sides and rear (bit hard to define on an oval base) to ensure the entire thing 'works' from various different angles. I know it's not a particularly good photo but it'll get a proper photo session when it's ready to be displayed properly :)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG1254_zpsri9eiodd.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG1255_zpse2ussvzn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back on the boards after what feels like the longest hiatus. Have to say a big thanks to Disease and Brother Tyler for helping me with some problems with my account that prevented me from logging in. Good to be back in the fold.

Progress? Some - throughout August I assembled 3 squads, 2 HQ choices and started work on a scenic base (above). Now that I'm overseas the mission is to paint up what I've assembled. I've already posted the WIP shot for Atrox, my Destroyer cadre, but that isn't what's being painted right now; instead it's this bunch of misfits, the survivors of several shattered Tactical squads regrouped under the banner of II Squad Pankrator. I'll save the fluff for the completions, from now on - for now it's WIP time, baby!

III

Pankrator

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020788_zps0bki5v5p.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020789_zpsqm9nr7ot.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020790_zpsatbgouxc.jpg

II Squad Pankrator, awarded Veteran honours following the pacification of the Khrave-infested underhives of Erinyes Primaris

Cheers guys. I have to admit I'm actually really disappointed with the stumpy nature of a lot of the Mk IV legs.

I am actually halfway through painting Pankrator at the minute, and have run into a conundrum. In general, I want this army to have a darker, grittier vibe than the average studio Ultramarines army - I want these guys to look like the Ultramarines you don't hear about, the no-hoper, unwanted recruits who for whatever reason have been consigned to the most thankless tasks - forlorn hopes, meat grinders, etc - and for that to be reflected in their colour scheme. I hope a little of that came across with the darkened palette used on Ferrata (Breachers). With Pankrator, as it's a Veteran squad, I was going to paint the leather pteruges on each Marine (or the balteus if Kage is listening) brown. I've gone with that so far and am worried it's a bit too dark. I feel like red would be the obvious choice for Ultras, but am concerned it'll make them look too regal.

Any thoughts?

I was going to paint the leather pteruges on each Marine (or the balteus if Kage is listening) brown. I've gone with that so far and am worried it's a bit too dark. I feel like red would be the obvious choice for Ultras, but am concerned it'll make them look too regal.

Any thoughts?

Fear not, brother, for the Holy Inquisition is always listening.

If you want to make them look grittier, like a bunch of outcasts that don't give a crap about polished armor and marching in parades, I'd say darken the blue even more and weather the hell out of them. Or maybe just go for a completely different color - like black with only a little blue.

I was going to paint the leather pteruges on each Marine (or the balteus if Kage is listening) brown. I've gone with that so far and am worried it's a bit too dark. I feel like red would be the obvious choice for Ultras, but am concerned it'll make them look too regal.

Any thoughts?

If you want to make them look grittier, like a bunch of outcasts that don't give a crap about polished armor and marching in parades, I'd say darken the blue even more and weather the hell out of them. Or maybe just go for a completely different color - like black with only a little blue.

Or a Darkened, Grimy Silver for worn, exposed (unpainted) Ceramite with spots of blue to represent the little paint that has yet to get removed?

Edited by Slipstreams

Beautiful work! The Iron Hand mini that you used for the sergeant is perfect. Great posing, bases, and combination of bits :tu:

As for the pteruges, they should look fine painted black or dark brown. The studs/rivets really help to give them a bit more colour and character. I used black for my Emperor's Children's pteruges, and I think they turned out pretty well.

A red leather could work? Not bright red, just a reddish tint to the brown?

Cheers, a couple others in my gaming group floated this idea around, as well - I think I'll try it on a test mini and see how it works. Also tempted by kizzdougs' idea below. Brown sounds fine in theory but is slightly boring in the flesh, as it were. We'll see, eh...

Any thoughts?

I tried a much darker blue with the original Consul test mini on page 1 and didn't like it. Didn't pop on the tabletop at all. That said I think more weathering would definitely work. Also considering adding more black (or possibly more black/blue striped areas).

Or a Darkened, Grimy Silver for worn, exposed (unpainted) Ceramite with spots of blue to represent the little paint that has yet to get removed?

Yeah. I really need to learn more about gunmetal weathering because at the moment the way I do it isn't effective enough. Tutorials here I come...

Arkhan, when I flirted with Ultras I was considering doing a commander in all black with accents, such as the pad insets, in gold and blue.

Be keen to hear how you think this look on the Praetor WIP I'll post in a day or two - can't decide how much blue I want on him!

Beautiful work! The Iron Hand mini that you used for the sergeant is perfect. Great posing, bases, and combination of bits :thumbsup:

As for the pteruges, they should look fine painted black or dark brown. The studs/rivets really help to give them a bit more colour and character. I used black for my Emperor's Children's pteruges, and I think they turned out pretty well.

Cheers mate. I really have warmed to EC as a result of your boys. Black leather with gold deco suits your Emperor's Children perfectly and that gold is stunning.

I am in love with those breachers, Arkhan. I think you've got the gritty brawler look down perfectly.

Thanks man. Would love to see some Errant Breachers at some point, hint hint ;)

IV

Castigator

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020791_zps4e7zqrig.jpg

VI Squad Castigator, newly mustered from remnants of V and VIII Squads (crossref. Arboreth Massacre)

Edit: CHOOM.

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

I tried a much darker blue with the original Consul test mini on page 1 and didn't like it. Didn't pop on the tabletop at all. That said I think more weathering would definitely work. Also considering adding more black (or possibly more black/blue striped areas).

I'd forgotten about that, and going that dark makes it look like a Crimson Fist. Hmmmmmm. How about adding grey to the blue to wash the color out some and make it look faded? Also, unpainted ceramite is white and not a metal.

Edit: Choom

I was going to post that but you beat me to it.....

Have you considered a light khaki for the leather? That way it doesn't pop too much or make it seem too patrician.

I'd forgotten about that, and going that dark makes it look like a Crimson Fist. Hmmmmmm. How about adding grey to the blue to wash the color out some and make it look faded? Also, unpainted ceramite is white and not a metal.

Like the XIV Legion are supposed to leave most of their armour unpainted, just bare ceramite except for the green patches, right? I see what you mean about the ceramite. I'm trying to picture stripping back the blue to show a white ceramite colour but it doesn't work in my mind's eye... A grey wash is a fascinating idea, will try that on a test mini.

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

Edit: Choom

I was going to post that but you beat me to it.....

Have you considered a light khaki for the leather? That way it doesn't pop too much or make it seem too patrician.

Might be the way to go. I'm unsold on the red, will try with a lighter colour and see how it fits.

I am in love with those breachers, Arkhan. I think you've got the gritty brawler look down perfectly.

Thanks man. Would love to see some Errant Breachers at some point, hint hint :wink:

Erggh, me too.

Im saving that idea as a treat for when ive got my basic army down. Dark Void Elite breachers, using LoTD rules. They're gonna be beautiful, lol.

You're doing some sweet work with the bases, btw. :)

IV

Castigator

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020791_zps4e7zqrig.jpg

VI Squad Castigator, newly mustered from remnants of V and VIII Squads (crossref. Arboreth Massacre)

Edit: CHOOM.

Great stuff, brother. Can't go wrong with some Volkite love. :thumbsup:

Edited by Olis

Like the XIV Legion are supposed to leave most of their armour unpainted, just bare ceramite except for the green patches, right? I see what you mean about the ceramite. I'm trying to picture stripping back the blue to show a white ceramite colour but it doesn't work in my mind's eye... A grey wash is a fascinating idea, will try that on a test mini.

I meant adding some grey to the blue color, but a wash might work as well.