[HH1.0] Militia and Cults tactica

disease

Looking back over the list again and stumbled across what looks to be a super fun anti-MEQ/TEQ choice.

You can make an 11 man enginseer/servitor unit with 3 Graviton Guns and 8 Phased Plasma Fusils.

Then choosing the right warlord trait you can give them all "-1AP" so the graviton become AP 3 and the plasma AP 2

Sure they aren't super survivable but they have some fun potential.

Great minds must think alike! I've been toying with the same AP2 plasma fusils, but in a bunker w/ammo dump. A single adept with augury scanner and nuncio vox. Reroll ones plus interceptor and more accurate thudd guns. I think it mitigates their weak armor save and would be a good back field or mid board fire base

I've been attempting to come up with an Imperialis Militia Zone Mortalis Force tonight for something different; 1000pts, must meet both Attacker and Defender FoC's

Force Commander, Planetary Overlord, Meltabombs, Survivors of the Dark Age, Alchem Jackers = 185pts

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad, Meltabombs, Vexilla, Laslocks, 2 additional Special Weapon Grenadiers with Rotor Cannon, Advanced Weapons = 160pts

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad, Meltabombs, Vexilla, Laslocks, 2 additional Special Weapon Grenadiers with Rotor Cannon, Advanced Weapons = 160pts

Imperialis Militia Reconnaissance Squad, Meltabombs = 55pts

Imperialis Auxilia Medicae Detachment = 40pts

Ogryn Brute Squad, Boarding Shield, Power Axe = 150pts

Imperialis Auxilia Sentinel Scout Squadron, Multi-melta = 100pts

Imperialis Auxilia Rapier Battery, 3 Laser Destroyer Arrays = 150

= 1000pts

It's a reasonable amount of bodies, but each of those squads has S5 Rending Shooting, and with Advanced Weapons, S4 Rending Salvo 3/4 weapons. Between them, at short range, it should cause a reasonable amount of casualties. The Sentinel Scout Squadron and Recon Squad are intended to break down alternative entry routes into the target location, while the Ogryn Brutes provide a hefty amount of damage - one of the members being equipped with an Axe and Boarding Shield to try and tank a Terminator unit.

The Laser Array is intended to hunt Dreadnoughts and knock out doors for the direct advancement.

It's not expected to be a major game winner, but it's there. 

I feel like you could play Necromunda with the abundance of interesting rules you can use.

Adeptus Arbites or rich Upper hivers? Use the survivors of the dark age and genadiers.

A jacked up druggie gang? Alchem jackers.

Underhive mutant scum? Abhuman helots.

It's just too cool man.

Grenadiers with laslocks and Advanced Weapons is a great combo. Salvo on the rotor cannon is fine when the half range is similar to the laslocks full range.

Rapiers are powerful in ZM, but if you can't get good lines of fire (or have a zigzagging board) they're next to useless.

Are you taking the Merchant Princeling WT, and if so for what unit?

For Zone Mortalis: How about Merchant Princeling WT on Militia Support squad of Heavy Flamers? 5 rending AP 3 templates. Plus shred right? No one will charge that.

Might be hard to maneuver on the bigger 60mm bases though.

Edited by Liquid_O

Having thought a bit more about it, I din't really have a use for Merchant Prince (my shooting is AP1/2/6/-), and the rest of the traits are really kinda naff, except for maybe 6, so I might trade in selectatrait for two more Multimeltas. But then again, 6 S6 Rending Shots are really kinda good.

I sat down with a local 40k tourney winner to work out a Abhuman Helots + Survivors of the Dark Age list and this very issue came up:

Anyone else considered Ogryn with the "Survivors of a Dark Age" and "Abhuman Helots" provenances?

I'm aware it's pricey and probably not the most competitive option but it's Power Armoured Ogryns, so your argument is invalid!

It turns out, for this particular combination of Provenances, not only does it suit Ogryns, but we feel the army needs something like them.  Here was our train of thought:

1. Abhuman Dark Age Survivors make for great cheap Troops, i.e. T4 Sv 3+ Grenadiers with S5 Laslocks, but they're not good in close combat.

2. Thus, they need a good counter-charge unit with them.  The only option available to them is Ogryns (now with T6 Sv 3+)...but they're slow and have low Ld.

3. A Gorgon transport, which we planned to take anyway to transport 20 Grenadiers, CAN take additional units along them because it's a Super Heavy vehicle.

Thus, a Gorgon can transport this odd couple of Grenadiers + Ogryns, which complement each other.  Then we looked at what COULD fit in its capacity of 40:

20 seats Abhuman Dark Age Survivor Grenadiers

1 seat Medicae Orderly for the Grenadiers (as Ogryns can't take them)

18 seats for 6 Ogryns (each takes up 3 seats because they're very Bulky)

1 Discipline Master to bring up the Ld of the Ogryns

Total: exactly 40

-----

We concluded this was a really good fit, whichever way you look at it.  These 2 units complement each other, the Provenances complement both, then they all ride in 1 transport.

This package of Grenadiers + Ogryns + Gorgon is high points cost, we realise.  Still not sure if it's worth it overall, we were discussing it and I just sat down and calculated a list.  But it's so intriguing an idea we really want to try it as at least an Allied Detachment just for the modeling possibilities (which for me will be Squats and Ogryns are Squats in like a construction exosuit, like what Ripley had in Aliens).

This is the Age of Darkness, not the Dark Millennium, so cool always trumps rules. In this case, I don't think you have particularly bad rules. Yes you're looking at close to 1000 points, but if playing 3000-point games, that's not too bad. My favorite type of game is the 3000-point game where LOWs are vetted, so there aren't Warhounds blasting everything to non-existence.

How are you equipping the Ogryns? I assume a couple of power axes, a shield, and the rest just additional weapons?

Sorry for the late reply, been so focused on the HH Weekender.

How are you equipping the Ogryns? I assume a couple of power axes, a shield, and the rest just additional weapons?

My previous thinking was upgrading their armour which combined with their Dark Age Survivors background gives 3+, then everyone has Power Axes.  However, that mix you suggested makes more sense.  I'm in the process of finishing up a Mechanicum main + Iron Hands allies army, but am seriously considering something like this as a Mechanicum main + Squats allies as a follow-up project.  I really like your recommendation, though.

Edit - in the case of an alliance with Mechanicum, I also must conceded there may be better counter-charge options there probably.

As for models, I'm thinking of kit-bashing Warhammer Fantasy Irondrakes with some unused 40k Space Marine Centurions to make those loader exosuits as the Ogryns.

Edited by Not 1 Step Backwards

So anyone else hanging to see some clearer detail around the combined Legions and Militia lists? Should be some great little opportunities in that list. Makes me even more keen to model the power armoured Ogryns as bodyguards for some Praetor types maybe. Keen to see more.

There's a seperate tactica thread made especially for this in the tactics forum

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading into cults and like many other people and seeing the Squats resurrection! 

Abhuman and Dark age of course.

Whats the best way to use OG-ryns in this? Keep them at the back and counter charge any alpha strike or move them forward?

Highly tempted to ally in some Ad Mech too - which units would be best here?

Well, I've been using Warp Cult and Tainted Flesh, which makes hilariously effective ogryns. Seriously, like Gal Vorbak wish they could be these Ogryns :D

But! It depends entirely on what the rest of your army looks like. If we're talking a Squat analog with Dark Age and Abhuman, are you using them like a mechanized force? Or hunkering down and making a super tough gunline? That's going to go a long way to telling you what you should look into for Ogryns.

When you say "ally in some Ad Mech" do you mean mechanicum? 

Well, I've been using Warp Cult and Tainted Flesh, which makes hilariously effective ogryns. Seriously, like Gal Vorbak wish they could be these Ogryns :biggrin.:

But! It depends entirely on what the rest of your army looks like. If we're talking a Squat analog with Dark Age and Abhuman, are you using them like a mechanized force? Or hunkering down and making a super tough gunline? That's going to go a long way to telling you what you should look into for Ogryns.

I had noticed how tough they become the other day trying some WB Auxilia combos. 

Well, I've been using Warp Cult and Tainted Flesh, which makes hilariously effective ogryns. Seriously, like Gal Vorbak wish they could be these Ogryns :biggrin.:

Gunline methinks! Dig in and don't let them dig me out!

And yes - Mechanicum allys :)

Been reading into cults and like many other people and seeing the Squats resurrection! 

Abhuman and Dark age of course.

Whats the best way to use OG-ryns in this? 

Dunno if Ogryns would go well with Squats fluff-wise, but alas.

If you're going for 'Abhuman Helots' and 'Surivors of the Dark Age', then make sure to buy the carapace upgrade for them, for that 3+ armour save. 

T6 brutes are sure nice, no doubt.

I'd go for a mix of power mauls and power axes I think, for some attacks at STR 7 to glance (or even penetrate) vehicles and some attacks at AP 2 vs. enemy infantry.

I'm using a different set of provenances (and equipment), but for me a unit size of 5-6 seems to work best.

Ah but they won't be "ogryns", they going to be like the Squat Exo Armour of old!

Going to use these but Dwarf them up with Shields /axes/hammers and heads from fantasy. The runic details on them already will work nicely.

http://puppetswar.com/img/p/534-1935-thickbox.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
For the Ogryn concept why not just feral warriors and power axes. It's an insane amount of S6 Ap2. Seems a great unit for a gorgon. And maxed out the Ogryn unit is under 500 points for 30 t5 wounds.

For the Ogryn concept why not just feral warriors and power axes. It's an insane amount of S6 Ap2. Seems a great unit for a gorgon. And maxed out the Ogryn unit is under 500 points for 30 t5 wounds.

Mainly because I'm not using those Provinces :P but it is an insane idea otherwise for sure.