Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

He looks absolutely ace!!!

Those true scales night lords are incredible !! Great job here !

Malchy

Outstanding work! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot guys!

Great work! Dogs are painted just wonderful, looks like real. Juggerlord is nice too - I like his pose! I'm gathering inspiration for my own KDK Juggerlord, so I definitely remember your work, thank you for sharing!

Thanks! I'm glad you can use some of my stuff as inspiration.

The jugger lord is looking excellent! The blue armour throws me off a bit, but that's just my being used to followers of Khorne wearing red :wink: A lovely composition, though!

Great job on the hounds as well! If you want to have a full squad of the old metal hounds, I have at least one of those that I don't need any longer and could send your way. Personally speaking, some of the old metal dogs are a bit too clunky for my taste. Anyway, let me know if you're interested! :wink:

That would be excellent! You got a pm. 

Also, thanks. I know where you're coming from in regards to the colours. It was almost a physical struggle to paint the lord blue even though I'm not a Khorne guy like you. Admittedly, I never really got into it during painting, which probably stems from my inability to match the Khorne aesthetics with my Night Lords paint scheme. Serves me right for not building a raptor lord. :wink:

Can I ask what your process for upscaling regular Astartes is?

Of course. I usually start with the legs, where I cut through the middle of the thighs and insert a 1mm spacer made of plasticard. I pin the whole thing for added stability. Then I use a mix of Green Stuff and Milliput to model more mass on them. This works very well for legs from raptors or possessed or any running legs in general, but it can get a bit tricky with the common standing pose. The reason for this is that the feet won't be on the exact same level as before and it can look a bit odd. Then again people like Veteran Sergeant make it look easy, so maybe it's just me.

The second part is lengthening the torsos. I cut through them right above the "belt" and add a 1,5 or 2mm thick plasticard disk with a little bit of GS/Milliput wherever necessary. The only important thing to consider here is to carefully cut around the belt buckle.

I will probably work on some marines in the next couple of months, so I can take a few more pics of their WIP stage if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, today I have only three new or finished models to show. Thanks to a delivery from Mastercrafted I was able to conclude the ridiculously long WIP phase of the executioner. I am very satisfied with the quality of the Mastercrafted bits, which are a great means to integrate various different designs in an army, especially for true scale purposes. I'll probably exchange his right shoulder pad for one without studs, but other than that I'm finished with the dude.

gallery_92971_12020_172307.jpg

Now, onto the really interesting stuff. I've been thinking for a while now about mustering a small legion force for 30k and I always came back to the Iron Hands, whose background, style, paint scheme, etc. all allured to me. With the release of two plastic boxes for HH it became much easier to get my hands on essential bits for a real truescale force and so I started with the conversion of two prototypes. The first legionnaire will serve as test model for my attempt at a paint scheme and was also used to figure out, if normal MkIII arms and shoulder pads are suitable. For the second Iron Hand I appropriated the captain from B@C. Head and boltpistol are placeholders for now, until I've procured the bits I have in mind.

gallery_92971_12020_71755.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_38686.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_387351.jpg

C&C are very much appreciated. :smile.:

Very very cool. Will copycat the [ex]termi^^

And cast the executioner. That guy is awesome

Thanks, mate. Still working on it, as it's a bit tricky.

:smile.: yeeeeeeaaaaah more truescale Iron Hands baby!! Loving everything! That tactical legionare has a beautiful sense of both bulk and movement, I am quite envious

Told you I was going to get started with some IH. Thanks for the kind words, coming from you it means quite a bit. :wink: 

And dude, if there's someone who doesn't need to be envious, it's you with your amazing army.

Excellent work on the executioner! Those Mastercrafted pauldrons really work well on him!

Those truescale Iron Hands, though? Brilliant! I especially love the lowly boltgun guy, because there's just something so workmanlike about him. If I can make one suggestion, there's a metallic "loincloth" bit from the Ork Nobz that would arguably work better than the plasticard piece you have in place right now -- it's the bit InsanePsychopath keeps using on his Iron Warriors.

Brilliant stuff, though! Looking forward to your next update! Also, I need to get those hounds on the road -- will PM you shortly ;)

That third marine, I think I broke my like buttoning finger.

Replace the finger with bionics if need be, so you can continue with that amazing grimdark horror story of yours. Glad you like him.

Excellent work on the executioner! Those Mastercrafted pauldrons really work well on him!

Those truescale Iron Hands, though? Brilliant! I especially love the lowly boltgun guy, because there's just something so workmanlike about him. If I can make one suggestion, there's a metallic "loincloth" bit from the Ork Nobz that would arguably work better than the plasticard piece you have in place right now -- it's the bit InsanePsychopath keeps using on his Iron Warriors.

Brilliant stuff, though! Looking forward to your next update! Also, I need to get those hounds on the road -- will PM you shortly :wink:

Thanks Kraut. And ha! I know exactly of which loin cloth you're speaking, because I have it right here in my bitzbox. Unfortunately only a single piece, so I thought I'd save it until I figure out how to press mold and in the meantime use a plasticard substitute. It'll get a few more details and if that fails to produce a better look, it gets replaced. 

Also, that workmanlike style is exactly what I was trying to go for. Sure, a few special models will get a more heroic pose, but I want a grittier look for my rank-and-file marines.

Wow your true-scale stuff is brilliant as usual, looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks man! 

Edited by Isengrin

• 1 month later...

I started painting my maulerfiend over the holidays and thought I'd be finished by now, but it's a really slow trudge now (yes, that slow), especially with all the gold trims. Man, do I hate those. Anyway, instead of a daemon engine I'll show you some pics of two new marines, which I've built since the last update, one of them a terror squad member, the other an Iron Hand in MkIV armour. I threw in a couple group pics of the handful of finished true scalers for good measure.

gallery_92971_12020_41734.jpg

If somebody wants to take a closer look, the three pics from above are separately in spoiler tags. There's still a lot of work to do, mainly with his arms and feet.

gallery_92971_12020_127937.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_71538.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_255768.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_210307.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_233710.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_69423.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

That Night Lord is fantastic! I really like the chest details you've done especially with the two skulls chained in front. Are you going to have him stand on a rock or a dead body? Also I really like the pose of the new Iron Hand in MKIV. Looking forward to seeing more true scale from you!

That Night Lord is fantastic! I really like the chest details you've done especially with the two skulls chained in front. Are you going to have him stand on a rock or a dead body? Also I really like the pose of the new Iron Hand in MKIV. Looking forward to seeing more true scale from you!

Thanks! I like the idea with him standing on a body a lot, but I'd have to model an appropriately sized victim first, unless I can find a suitable xenos or imperial guard. It does sound very fitting for a terror marine though. Btw, I need to stop by at your thread more often, you've got some fine conversions in there.

Some very cool content; especially like the executioner and the Iron Hands Sgt.

Also, very nice use of the tartaros legs to true-scale your newer marines!

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Thanks, man! Tartaros are great as a base for true-scaled marines, but I think the plates on their upper legs need a bit of modifying. I just don't like how they come up at the hips.

Your work is still awesome. Keep up that excellent quality. As I stated somewhere else: Cataphractii pants ist my absolute favourite. They look perfect for True Scale IH.

Thanks, buddy! Yeah, cataphractii rock. I'm going to use them for my next Iron Hands and I'll probably mix in a few with my terror squad.

I'm almost done with the maulerfiend, so I'll leave a little teaser here until I can take pics of the finished model. :smile.:

gallery_92971_12324_21940.jpg

I seem to have caught myself stopping by and admiring your Iron Hands again... it's becoming a problem...

I guess it's time for me to build a whole unit then.

Uih, can't wait to see the finished model.

Et voila! :wink:

Whoever thought it's a good idea to put all those trims on the fiend deserves an extra circle in hell for themselves (just kidding of course ^^). Still, in my opinion it's one of the most tedious models to paint. Having said that, after putting brushes aside I'm very happy with the results except for a few minor issues.

gallery_92971_11994_483809.jpg

I've put a few pics under spoiler again, since they are rather larger and I don't want to clutter the whole thread.

gallery_92971_11994_189686.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_100384.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_389556.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_85492.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_303952.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_2303.jpg

On this one I put a little skaven on the base, who could get promoted to the position of herder. The idea behind that is that expendable mutants/cultists "drag" maulerfiends on chains into battle, herding them to their correct place on the front lines. I'm still debating with myself, which miniature I'm going to use (might stay with the skaven), but either way it will try to restrain the fiend with a few more chains.

gallery_92971_11994_390793.jpg

So, here's a question I asked myself...can daemon engines get parasites? And at least in my universe the answer is yes, yes they can. Because I left off magma cutters and lasher tendrils (there's just no way their placement between legs and arms makes any sense), I had some space on its flanks to work with, which led to the idea of a daemonic parasite.

gallery_92971_11994_239927.jpg

The last pic is related to the one with a skaven on it. I'm pretty sure, maulerfiends can get quite frenzied from time to time (:wink: ), which is why the poor mutants charged with herding them try to paint soothing runes on stones, ruins, and the ground to make their job a bit easier. If they actually work is a matter of dispute though.

gallery_92971_11994_333963.jpg

Alright, having finished another big gizmo, I think it's time for me to return to the most iconic model in 40k, the bolter marine. I still have the executioner, should I feel like painting something, but other than that I'll focus on converting marines for the next weeks.

Love this! The base is just as awesome as the Fiend. Really like the plan behind the cultist/handlers. In the Word Bearer series of books there's mention of cultists trying to restrain Daemon engines. They don't usually last long

How about making some faceless hooded heads on the Skaven body? Give a real twisted look to the cultists.

Edited by Biohazard

That thing and the base look absolute monstrous. Big kudos for it.

Thanks, man! I took a quick sneak peek in the BotL sub by the way and was quite surprised by the effort you guys are putting in there. Some good stuff.

Love this! The base is just as awesome as the Fiend. Really like the plan behind the cultist/handlers. In the Word Bearer series of books there's mention of cultists trying to restrain Daemon engines. They don't usually last long

How about making some faceless hooded heads on the Skaven body? Give a real twisted look to the cultists.

Those were the Anthony Reynolds books, right? That's where I must have gotten the idea from. Additional hooded heads sound great, I'll give it a try and see how disturbing that little fellow can get. Thanks!

That is an impressive fiend indeed. But the Skaven herder and base just knocks it up to eleven!

Thanks a lot!

Stellar paint job! I really like the gold and flesh tones you've done, the bloody runes on the wall are also great details. The herder is an interesting concept, I think having a daemon instead of a mutant would fit more with fluff but the skaven does have potential. Looking forward to seeing more!

Whoever thought it's a good idea to put all those trims on the fiend deserves an extra circle in hell for themselves (just kidding of course ^^). Still, in my opinion it's one of the most tedious models to paint.

Yup I can see that, I have a helldrake that needs finishing and I think the wings will be even worse, hence the chicken staying it bits in a box.

finished though it looks amazing and well worth the effort. Good job.