WAR's Raven Guard & Raptors

WAR

Just remembered something. 

The Raptors lost most of their ancient wargear when their original homeworld was destroyed. So fluff-wise they shouldn't have a Fire Raptor :sad.:

Most =/= no fire raptors. Most is a relative term; a chapter could lose most of their marines and still have enough to play a 2k point game. Plus it's been a long time since then as well.

Huh, so it says.

Even after 4,000 years, I'm betting the surviving equipment is left to the player :happy.:

This.

Most of the 40k stories are just to add flavor to the armies. Logistics don't exist in this game. The closest thing we have are slots and points. Even then you could easily take 3 fire raptors every game if points allowed, always take a chapter master, etc. It wouldn't matter unless you were playing a huge apocalypse game and you could actually accurately represent the entire chapter in one place at one time on the table.

Actual fluff-heresy is hard to achieve and requires 'templars spamming librarians' level of heresy.

Oh and you can easily do pre-modern armies too, before disasters struck. The Badab war is all about that, and even has a pre-modern army list for the Astral Claws before they became the Red Corsairs.

Edited by Nusquam

The StormEagle fluff (FireRaptor is a variant of the SE) states it has been increasingly rare as it's pre-heresy stuff. But numbers increased recently, as probably a forge world has started production again. Now the thing about Raptors losing their homeworld, they haven't made public where their new one is, and are seemingly well-supported. Count one and one together, and there's an explanation they are able to field high-end material in limited quantity again.

Also, they haven't lost stuff that has been on deployment at the time the homeworld got destroyed. Not every Raptor was there, or otherwise there wouldn't be anyone left to rebuild the chapter. Personally, that's my explanation for the honour guard using relic armour marks, and probably I'll add a fire raptor sooner or later.

Also, Fire Raptor. It doesn't get any more fitting for Raptors. It's a Raptor that Fires. Like a flammenwerfer werfs flammen. :biggrin.:

I agree that the Raptors may have a fire raptor.....unlike the Crimson Fists that do not have one, and according to the Battle at Traitor's Gorge, they only have 7 working Thunderhawks. so it is either going to my Raptors or 30k EC. As much as I am dreading painting purple I think it will got to the Raptors and in to the black bottom "Bubbles and Bust" Southeast Asia Camo scheme:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/p7hg_img_12/fullsize/Placement_Guide_4_fs.jpg

but that is way down the line....I need to get re-motivated to finsih working on the 2 typhoons and then storm 

Can't wait to see this! Will you be vowing it?? :smile.::wink:

no its way down on the list to build other things take priority like the rest of the typhoon squadron, 2 more predators, 2 stormhawks,  and the other stuff I have coming like 3 TFC, 3 tempest, and my 9 tarantula gun platforms (3 las cannon, 3 hvy bolter, 3 hyperios and 1 radar dish)   

Zomg, great idea!  Yes, yes you should!

The fire raptor would be the only one done up in the camo pattern, relic in all dont want to piss off the Machine spirit of "Spooky"

Update time

So this has been sitting around for a few days and i finally got around to taking pics of what I got accomplished. The side step was an intentional break as it was not sitting flush. 

so if you notice that the bare head pilot has a black strip running down his shoulder pad behind his unit designation marking. That is something I am planning to do for all my Veteran Sgts, while veterans will have just the yellow strip on their helmet

• 1 month later...

I got them from a tub of resin bits in my dads collection.....they are various 1/35th scale sandabags. One of the next predators Ill be trying out these instead a lot more expensive but more mold-able and realistic.

Love this Brother!

Thanks Yak!

I got them from a tub of resin bits in my dads collection.....they are various 1/35th scale sandabags. One of the next predators Ill be trying out these instead a lot more expensive but more mold-able and realistic.

Thanks! I might get myself a set of those then. You don't think the scale is too large? I know Elmo in the guard forum said he thought the 1/35 scale was slightly too large for his heavy weapon team fox holes.

The Baneblade is a giant model though so maybe bigger bags make sense?

Edit: Apparently previous post broke the forum?

Edited by duz_

I was hoping to get them in 1/48th scale from the same company as I thought they are a little big too but the ones on my predator are 1/35th scale so its not so bad. I didn't actually buy mine from secret weapons i got them from a cave man named Neil.  Secret weapons did a 2 minute tutorial that is actually 10 minutes long :huh.: on how to use them and he said they work on 1/48 to 1/35 scale.  

• 1 month later...

So the Hidden Hands of the Emperor ETL is coming up just under 4 weeks. After participating in the Talon's Reach Armory building event (which I had a lot of fun in), I have decided it is almost time to bust out the brush in get cracking on the my 10th company Raptors again. I have some models to build in preparation for the ETL and still need to finish my uncompleted vow of 2 Land Speeder Typhoons and the rest of the Members of squad Helios (neither are eligible as they are more than base coated).  I am hoping I can build the models to set vows and finish the 2 typhoons and the other 4 members of squad Helios. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to ummm "look at the 8th ed books" recently :whistling: and was able to point out my list minus the 3 tempest....

Captian w/ Power sword, Librarian, Chaplain, Apothecary, 7 man sternguard squad (sgt with axe) rifleman dread, 5 man scout squad in a LSS with melee weapons sgt power maul, 5 man scout squad with shotguns sgt power maul in a LSS, 5 man scout squad with 4 sniper rifles and heavy bolter with camo cloaks, 2 10 man scout squads with bolter and missile launcher and camo cloaks, 2 land speeder typhoons, Storm hawk with las talon and skyhammers, 3 predators with heavy bolters sponsons and stormbolters = 2000 pts/ 129 power level

2000 pts sounds right on point for the standard sized games I believe 8th will be

Did you happen to see what lighting claws do?
I won a box of skitari at the tournament I was at and I think Ill trade them for VV's, but I have no idea how to kit them out now!
Originally it was going to PF + LC and some BP + TS combos, but now I don't know! Plasma + TS seems like a good option :)

So I got distracted with another game system but finally got around to working on my raptors again......and buying Deathwatch stuff :huh.:

Here is my new Predator designated Vulture I

Front View

Is the autocannon barrel from that of a Hydra flak tank (in universe), meaning it has a 72" range?

Off next week and getting my models planned out that I need to build for the upcoming Hidden Hands vow......

Need to finish (not part of vow) built and started painting:

Scout Squad Helios

2 typhoons

Need to build and prime:

1 Predator- this one is gonna be a :censored: :censored: to build compared to the last one but nothing compared to the 3rd one I have planned

3 Tempest 

1-2 Land Speeder Storms

1 Stormhawk (maybe the 2nd one)

7 Sternguard

1 Apothecary

1 Race model

possibly another 2 5 man squads to bolster bolter teams (if I have them in storage. FLGS was out of bolter scouts)

Already built and Primed for Vow

Captain

Chaplain

Librarian

4 Scout squads

Let see Vows I am shooting for- HQ Check, Elites Check, Troops Check, Fast Attack Check, Flyer Check, Heavy Support Check, Race Bannon Check, LOW.....dont have one and doesn't fit the army