Hod's Sisters of the Burning Cross WIP

Hod

Just finished a Celestine I've been working on for months. The funny part is I had no idea what the new Celestine was going to look like when I put this one together. I bought her on eBay and she didn't come with her cloak, so I made my own, and through some weird mind meld with GW, I did almost exactly what the new Celestine looks like.

I do really like the new Celestine and Seraphim and am looking forward to picking them up. I just really hope the new sisters aren't so much bigger than the old ones that they won't fit together.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_Celestine_12_27_16.jpg

I really enjoy all your work, your dedication and patience shows with wonderful stuff. The shin-guards are marvelous particularly. The seraphim I like as the scrolls seem to line-up with the new Celestine coming out, so your ahead of the curve there.

Keep on sharing, I think we all like to see peoples painting work at all levels, it's half the hobby.

Love your repentia (though a bit too naughty for my idea of repentia, great painting) your Celestine is gorgeous. Inspiring for sure, one of these days I will fight for the courage to do a NMM, but it is not this day!

Great to see your Sisters, keep up the great work!

Thanks guys. I'm really pleased with how she came out. It took so long because of the difficulty in doing white. I had to redo it a few times (which means re-washing it with a darker shade and then redoing the top to white layers). It's really hard to get white to transition smoothly. White NMM is probably the hardest. A good NMM to start with is gold. I just use a brown base, orange as the first highlight, then yellow and white. It's four different colors, but that's all I do for my gold NMM these days and it's pretty easy.

The rose garland above her head is from the Raging Heroes Nun-like SoB model. I thought it fight well with Celestine, since she has the flowers on her sword and base.

Love the models. Realy gorgeous. Still don't like the Repentia sculpts, but that's nothing new/ Your Celestine looks amazing. It's a very interesting conversion. And I know it looks really natural since it took me a while to even notice it was a conversion :D

• 4 weeks later...

Little update - with probably more to come soon. With all this new Sisters stuff, I am putting aside some of my other projects to focus on my Agents of the Imperium.

First up are my latest finished minis. I'm working on a whole Unit of Ecclesiarchy and finished an Acolyte and two Priests. The middle Priest is from Gamezone and the second is from Wyrd (with the banner a conversion of multiple things). These Wyrd guys are small, not so much that it hurts my eyes in comparison to the others, but they are definitely on the lower range of something that would fit with GW.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_Priests_Acolyte_1_25_17.jpg

After these guys I started in on a Redemptor Kyrinov, Arch Confessor, which I am really looking forward to. This is one of my favorite GW minis. I never liked his mace, so I gave him an Ecclesiarchy Icon instead.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_Confessor_WIP_1_25_17.jpg

But work has halted on him, because something else showed up in the mail that I couldn't wait to paint. I wanted to do her with a different color scheme, but wanted to keep her feeling like Canoness Veridyan, and gold seemed to be the only one that worked. I did a few different mock ups in Photoshop, but the below one is the one I liked the most. Right now she's just based coated with the first layer of orange laid on for the gold. I hope to have more WIP pictures soon.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_CanonessVeridyan_WIP_1_25_17.jpg

Awesome Priests! I especially like the one in the middle of the first picture. He just screams Ecclesiarchy Cardinal to me :D those colors for veridyan . . . I look forward to seeing her finished, even if those aren't Order of Our Martyred Lady colors (her GW paint scheme is pre-3rd war for Armageddon OML).

A couple fluff details though: as you're probably aware the confessor model is Redemptor Kyrinov, Arch Confessor, and his mace is the Mace of Valaan (and the thing in his other hand is the Icon of Chiros, for what it's worth).

Also, the piece you have replaced the mace with is an Ecclesiarchal icon (like the chaplet that Sisters wear), not an Inquisitorial =][=

Edit: man that Verridian looks trippy (in a good way) :P I line the almost neon colors on the models. Very different.

A couple fluff details though: as you're probably aware the confessor model is Redemptor Kyrinov, Arch Confessor, and his mace is the Mace of Valaan.

Also, the piece you have replaced the mace with is an Ecclesiarchal icon (like the chaplet that Sisters wear), not an Inquisitorial =][=

Thank you for the corrections. I admit, my knowledge of sister's lore could use some deepening.

Kyrinov isn't even in the game anymore, is he? In the CIA book, it seems the only actual priestly members of The Ecclesiarchy who got rules are Priests and Acolytes. I'd love to see Confessors, Firebrands, Missionaries, Cardinals, Frateris Templar and Deacons.

His face too . . . so angry. Now that I have one of that model, I can say I think it's close between him and the old Celestine for favorite GW model (asside from the Exorcist). Make sure to get the fu manchu he's rocking as well as his evil villan beard :D

On a positive fluff note, although the Icon of Chiros no longer has rules, it is in fact black, like you have it. It was cut from the black marble pulpit that Dolan, the Great Confessor first spoke from on . . . Chiros (Holy Emperor I can't believe I just looked that up. The Icon of Chiros is from Chiros *rolls eyes at self*) when he worked to topple the Apsotate Crardinal . . . Bucharis (had to look that one up as well. Shame!), whose diocese was on Gathalamore, (I don't have to look that up :P) during the Age of Apostasy (note that the Age of Apostasy includes Vandire's Reign of Blood, out of which the Sisters were created, as well as the Ordo Hereticus).

OK I'll stop now :P basically, 90% of this stuff is in the 2nd edition Sisters codex.  I went and get myself a copy on Amazon (my precioussssssss), but . . . I'll PM you :)

Did some work on her gold. The only thing left to do with it is the final pure white highlight, but I do that all at once across the whole mini at the very end. I'm moving on to the black cloth and white skulls / fleur-de-lis next. Black is one of the hardest colors for me because it is one of those 'less is more' colors. All your painting goes on in the top third of the entire surface area, and while that seems like it should make things easier, I have never found that to be the case.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_CanonessVeridyan_WIP_1_30_17.jpg

Got some more work done on the black, white and red. Nothing is done in it's final highlight yet, I do those all at once at the end. I like how she is coming out. I was a tad worried the gold would outshine everything else, but I think it's a good balance of color right now. The final highlight will really define the spaces and create that pop that will really make everything stand out.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_CanonessVeridyan_WIP_2_2_17.jpg

Edit:The wolf - or deamon skull - on the base is just a skull bit I had. I like to think she ran into a rather devote heretic who'd sprouted horns - and she dealt the flames of retribution to him.

Great work... except for the red lips. I dont like them, they makes Verydian looks like a brazilian transexual.

Well, we can't have Verydian looking like a Brazilian Tranny... I will have to do something about that - I was going for a Colombian Tranny.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while without pictures, but I've been a busy painter. First up, I finished my Canoness Veridyan. I'm pleaded with how the gold armor turned out. It's got a lot of texture / stroke, but I've never been called a clean painter.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_CanonessVeridyan_2_22_17.jpg

And in between my inability to take pictures, I also finished up x2 Death Cult Assassins for the Cleanse of Ioria Campaign.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_DCAss_2_22_17.jpg

I also got this recently and am looking forward to getting into it. I got it on eBay without Crawl (because the mini looked like the biggest pain to paint), so expect Greyfax, Celestine, Eleanor, and Genevieve soon.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/TriumvirateBox.jpg

Well done. Is the Canoness' armor yellow, like an Imperial Fists Marine's? Or is it golden, like an Adeptus Custodes member's?

It was meant to be gold, but it really could be the Imperial Fists yellow. I think I need more highlight to completely sell the gold. There might be more pictures of her in the future.

• 1 month later...

Been working on the final members of my Inquisitional warband, which includes the Inquisitor, a Servator / Acolyte and an Astropath. Now I got a 10 man warband.

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband

Inquisitor Greyfax (1) - 150pts

Astropath (1) - 25pts

Acolytes (4) - 44pts
    1 Acolyte: Flamer
    1 Acolyte: Laspistol
    1 Acolyte: Storm bolter
    1 Acolyte: Flamer, Power armour

Death Cult Assassins (2) - 30pts

Daemonhost (1) - 10pts

Ministorum Priest (1) - 25pts

Hopefully will get a picture of the whole warband soon.

http://www.hodsminis.com/SoB/SoB_IoriaCampaignPhase3_4_2_17.jpg

Archived