The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Seeing all these re-done classic models really puts a grin on my face. That cape is seriously amazing, as well as the digital lasers. Definitely looking forward to seeing more, would love to see some updates on classic terminator models too.

Hey guys,

I want to start for thanking you all for the overwhelming responses for the last submission!

I aim to please, and I'm delighted that people like my classic marine project!

Additionally, I just want people to know that as of September I will be back in London, and looking to start commissions full time. Don't hesitate to inbox me for any queries!

That guy is such a crisp and clean model. My hat's off to you, sir. Personally I'm not a fan of static poses, but I know you're making it in homage to the model he's inspired by so it works perfectly for him.

Thanks Noctus! I agree, he's much to static for my usual tastes, but it's important to take myself out of my comfort zone every once in a while!

This whole thread is amazing!

Thanks Jeremy! I'm glad you enjoy :)

Lovely GS work brother. So smooth... ^_^

Thanks Olis! The milliput/greenstuff blend really is wonderful. That and clay shapers. Totally removes any necessity to sand it down, which I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of anyway...!

Ain't that based on the old Iron hands captain? Also do you have a tutorial on capes lying around somewhere?

Like Olis said it's a generic dude, as all these "redux" marines will be! I'll see about sorting out a tutorial for my cloaks for you chaps!

Absolutely fantastic work! The greenstuff work, especially on the cloak is very impressive :)

Thank you squire! Practice makes perfect! :3

Beautiful. What classic model will you be recreating next? :D

Thanks OakRiver! I'm currently working on a limited chap (released late 90's?) and giving him MKIV for a change. There are plenty of options around. What do you want to see? Share pictures :)

This is amazing, but I'm also completely amazed at that green stuff cape. 

Do you do commissions? Capes are my weakness!

Many thanks Engel! I do indeed take commissions, and will do full time as of September! :)

That's an amazing model. It's plain to see which model he is based on. Nice work on his digital lasers!

Thanks Augustus! The Digital lasers were pointed out to me and being a stickler for detail I could hardly leave them out! I'd love to see what some of the more talented members of the B&C would be capable of!

The cape is really impressive, no wonder it took you some time!

Thanks buddy! And to think it still isn't finished! :O

Would love to try casting these up...

This thread continues to amaze, and this latest series of conversions inspired by classic metal models is especially lovely: The greatest part is how you have come up with models that perfectly encapsulate how we remember those iconic pieces (while realising that they haven't aged quite as gracefully as we would like to believe, at least in some cases). Anyway, a perfect blend of nostalgia and cutting-edge converting/sculpting!

On a semi-related note, can I just say that your tutorial on sculpting fur capes really came in handy during a recent conversion of mine? My results weren't quite as smooth and lovely as yours, but that tutorial was still a godsend! :)

Keep up the amazing work!

Hey man, I'm delighted you enjoy my work! Always happy to hear what else you'd like to see me try.

I really hope the tutorial worked well for you; your Angron looks brutal. Very impressive indeed! How well did the tin-foil idea work?

Just keep practicing, just a little every day, and before you know it your sculpting will open up many possibilities!

Seeing all these re-done classic models really puts a grin on my face. That cape is seriously amazing, as well as the digital lasers. Definitely looking forward to seeing more, would love to see some updates on classic terminator models too.

Thanks Vairocanum, that means a lot! Which termies do you think I should recreate? There's a cool captain from the late 90's that I always loved...

That bionic captain is just amazing, well done!

My thanks! Stay posted for more classic remakes!

Cheers, man! The tinfoil idea actually worked really well -- and would arguably have worked even better had the pauldrons already been glued down during the operation. But it's a rather handy trick, if I do say so myself, and I am rather pleased with myself for having thought of it ;)

I definitely get what you are saying regarding getting better in small but steady increments: Believe it or not, but building up that cape was probably one of my most involved (and successful) GS jobs so far, so this has already given me quite a boost!

Awesome work on the Captain dude, It really has brought back a classic! The only danger is you've really got to go all out to top it for the next one! The Digi-lasers are superb, and the cape is damned impressive - and you are telling us it isn't even finished?? Really looking forward to the next instalment of the classic marines!

This thread is a wonderful find – got redirected here via Krautscientist's Eternal Hunt, and realised it's filled with the same awesome conversions I've seen in a social media group. Lovely to touch base on here, Capt. Jack. The 'classics project' is a great one – the sergeant from the command squad box is one of my favourite sculpts of all time, and your interpretation is instantly recognisable. Great stuff! :)

Hey guys,

So I'm absolutely loving 'The Path of Heaven' by Chris Wraight, and had Angron's body in my bitz box so decided to have a stab at Jaghatai Khan, the Khan of Khans and Gene-sire of the Vth Legion.

Really early days, and there is a lot to do, but I'm very excited at the prospect of doing justice to the Warhawk!

I have ideas for his tulwar, cloak, mandatory fumanchu tache and a few other bits, but I'm really open to suggestions and ideas!

It's not much atm, but here he is so far;

gallery_29868_13066_131920.jpg

Cheers, man! The tinfoil idea actually worked really well -- and would arguably have worked even better had the pauldrons already been glued down during the operation. But it's a rather handy trick, if I do say so myself, and I am rather pleased with myself for having thought of it ;)

I definitely get what you are saying regarding getting better in small but steady increments: Believe it or not, but building up that cape was probably one of my most involved (and successful) GS jobs so far, so this has already given me quite a boost!

Awesome innovation for sure! It's really thrilling when you see results with a sculpt and feel like you've achieved something.

Awesome work on the Captain dude, It really has brought back a classic! The only danger is you've really got to go all out to top it for the next one! The Digi-lasers are superb, and the cape is damned impressive - and you are telling us it isn't even finished?? Really looking forward to the next instalment of the classic marines!

Thanks man! Next one is in the pipeline so will update when I make some progress :) There are so many of the classics to chose from so I'll have no shortage of inspiration to keep me busy!

This thread is a wonderful find – got redirected here via Krautscientist's Eternal Hunt, and realised it's filled with the same awesome conversions I've seen in a social media group. Lovely to touch base on here, Capt. Jack. The 'classics project' is a great one – the sergeant from the command squad box is one of my favourite sculpts of all time, and your interpretation is instantly recognisable. Great stuff! :)

I'm really pleased you like it Apologist! I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy and keep you entertained I hope!

Id love to see you take on some scouts. I wish I had the patience to work with green stuff. This whole thread is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Any painted images?

Scouts sound like an awesome idea! Will have to give them a go when I get back to Blighty! I have no paints in China, but I will get on it and paint my stuff when I get home :)

Hey guys,

Among other things I've been continuing with my 'classic redux' project and am nearly done with the 3rd marine, which is based on a limited edition veteran sgt some of you may remember!

I need to add a tabbard, braiding, complete the seals, tweak the pistol, add some details to the plume and he's done!

Really keen to see what you guys think!

gallery_29868_4100_750683.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_241131.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_456210.jpg

Sir, I love you. I've grown impatient for a Forgeworld Jaghatai. I will follow yours with interest.

Will you give him the "dragon"helmet described in Path of Heaven? That might be tricky.

I have ordered a load of bitz from the web to play around with and will try to convert a helm up for him :)

I hope I can do him justice as I just finished reading 'The Path of Heaven' and Jaghatai is just such a badass!

Well a Primarch is certainly a great way to top a captain!! Awesome project dude!! Shall look forward to seeing more!!

Cheers man! I have to wait a while for bits to arrive and play around with poses and parts but I'm very excited :)

The start on the khan looks promising! Also, out of human curiosity who just happens to have angron's body in a bitz box? Because that is amazing.

The redux vet is also looking good already. Definitely want to the extra gubbins added on. Very keen to take notes on some tabard ideas.

Wow I can't believe I missed Khan, he looks like he's going to be an epic conversion! As for the limited edition sergeant looks great, instantly recognizable. I'd love to see you tackle a the classic terminator captain, classic grey knight terminator or maybe even MKI terminator armor. Your classic redux project really shows off your skills for capturing the right feel of a model!

Hey guys!

I got some time this week to work on 'classic redux' #3 and I'm happy to say he's (pretty much) complete!

I am happy that I've been forcing myself to learn how to do braiding (though need to pull my finger out and learn knots and tassels!) but I think I made a booboo when it came to choice of torso. The cabling interferes a little with the braiding, and in hindsight I ought to have either sources mk4 torsos without the cabling, or have gone for mk2 armour instead. I don't want to over saturate this project with mk3!

That aside, I'm very happy with the outcome, and that I managed to stay pretty true to the original model :)

gallery_29868_4100_153003.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_540736.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_176769.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_255867.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_201754.jpg

I have some more ideas for what to do next, but happy to hear some more from you guys. Preferably vanilla/non-specific Legion and also post RT era models!

Take it easy guys!

Excellent work bro! I especially like the drum mag on the bolt pistol :tu:

Thanks dude! I really wanted to use the combi bolter but the Heresy version is just enormous! Had to compromise!

Really great start on the primarch.

The Truscale looks good, bjt maybe you should consider adding some bulk on the legs.FW-Mk4 always look so thin especially elongated

I have plenty planned for Jaghatai, so stay tuned! As for the new chap, I totally agree with you. The forgeworld legs are always skinnier, and though bulking out would work, as I've put a tabbard there I feel the slight issue with proportions has at least been hidden ;)

The start on the khan looks promising! Also, out of human curiosity who just happens to have angron's body in a bitz box? Because that is amazing.

The redux vet is also looking good already. Definitely want to the extra gubbins added on. Very keen to take notes on some tabard ideas.

Thanks Hushrong. Well, I'm a total shark on the Heresy trading group on Facebook, and though thanks to the time difference I miss out on plenty of good deals, I will occasionally be awake just as others are waking up/going to bed when excellent deals come up. One such deal was Angron's body and arms, which was too cheap not to! Turns out his body and pads work really well for the Khagan.

As for the new chap, the tabbard was pretty straightforward. I tried to cut corners and do it in two sessions total, but I had to be patient and go for a third to ensure it looked smooth and crisp!

Wow I can't believe I missed Khan, he looks like he's going to be an epic conversion! As for the limited edition sergeant looks great, instantly recognizable. I'd love to see you tackle a the classic terminator captain, classic grey knight terminator or maybe even MKI terminator armor. Your classic redux project really shows off your skills for capturing the right feel of a model!

Thanks Vairocanum! Must've been smoking something to miss THE Khan! ;)

As for the next project, of those three the classic termie captain sounds most appealing, but I want to work with dynamic poses as much as possible, unless you mean the 3rd/4th edition termie captain?

Awesome work on the drum mag and the tabard, special mention to the tags on the tabard - that must have required a steady hand or lots of cut fingers to get that shaved off a donor model!

The torso is a very minor sticking point as you've already noticed - only because it spoils the flow of the braided lanyard, but hey ho, hindsight is wonderful isn't it! You were right to include it as it pushes you to try new skills. All it really needs is a MKIV Emperor's Chlldren torso (OR an UM torso) and boom! Awesome sauce!!

Really cool additions. The braid looks awesome and making it would be my personal hell.

And you are right, the tabard really hides the slim legs. Hope nobody looks from behind ^^

Looking forward to more pics of the Khan, and your conversion already inspired me to another botl primarch conversion

The braiding looks great, I don't think the cabling interferes with the braid too much. For the tabard would you say it's better to sculpt separately or sculpt attached to the model from the start? I've sort of been experimenting on my own without much success so any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

Thanks Vairocanum! Must've been smoking something to miss THE Khan! :wink:

As for the next project, of those three the classic termie captain sounds most appealing, but I want to work with dynamic poses as much as possible, unless you mean the 3rd/4th edition termie captain?

Haha more like too many drinks, definitely looking forward to seeing more of THE Khan though! Classic termie captain sounds good! I only chose the grey knight cause I wanted to see all the sculpted details from you and the MKI terminator cause I don't think GW is going to come out with a set of their own. I know you said non-legion specific but I thought another fun model you could maybe try is one of the old Noise Marines with a guitar :whistling:.

Hey guys!

I'm glad people liked #3! Was always a favourite of mine back in the day.

I wanted to get you chaps involved with the next chap I make as part of a poll, if you will, which I am also doing on Instagram and Facebook.

I have done a shortlist of four marines which again, are ones I've always admired, and I want your help in selecting the next.

I think after I've done the next I'll keep updating the short list and getting external input into what people want to see, always using suggested ideas to input into future polls. Anywho, I like the idea of the next four;

gallery_29868_4100_191183.jpg

Additionally, I managed to track down a couple of these bitz as part of a larger bargain. I wonder if anyone knows which classic models are equipped with them? ;) All about attention to detail!

gallery_29868_4100_1302.jpg

As ever guys, really value your input. Not sure if I mentioned already but I'll be starting to take names for commissions late August for my return to London in September. Should be able to ship worldwide :)

Awesome work on the drum mag and the tabard, special mention to the tags on the tabard - that must have required a steady hand or lots of cut fingers to get that shaved off a donor model!

The torso is a very minor sticking point as you've already noticed - only because it spoils the flow of the braided lanyard, but hey ho, hindsight is wonderful isn't it! You were right to include it as it pushes you to try new skills. All it really needs is a MKIV Emperor's Chlldren torso (OR an UM torso) and boom! Awesome sauce!!

It's not a disaster so I'm happy :) I think once I've sated my need to recreate some classics I can do some more Legion specific models!

Really cool additions. The braid looks awesome and making it would be my personal hell.

And you are right, the tabard really hides the slim legs. Hope nobody looks from behind ^^

Looking forward to more pics of the Khan, and your conversion already inspired me to another botl primarch conversion

Another 'botl'? I'm awaiting a host of bits for the Warhawk and will post step by step pictures of the process as I go :) should be a fun one!

Here's your next challenge: redux one of the metal librarians with a force staff. I'd love to see your take on them, and am confident you can pull off the runes on the staff.

Oh blimey! That is indeed a challenge! I will definately put that in the periphery to chew over :)

The braiding looks great, I don't think the cabling interferes with the braid too much. For the tabard would you say it's better to sculpt separately or sculpt attached to the model from the start? I've sort of been experimenting on my own without much success so any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

Thanks Vairocanum! Must've been smoking something to miss THE Khan! ;)

Haha more like too many drinks, definitely looking forward to seeing more of THE Khan though! Classic termie captain sounds good! I only chose the grey knight cause I wanted to see all the sculpted details from you and the MKI terminator cause I don't think GW is going to come out with a set of their own. I know you said non-legion specific but I thought another fun model you could maybe try is one of the old Noise Marines with a guitar :whistling:.

That would be badass! Hair metal marines!

As for the others, I'd love to see pictures of what you mean and work them over in my head.

That's some incredible green stuff work mate, the cape and the braiding look excellent! I'm jealous! Fantastic work with the classic series, I'm feeling all nostalgic, looking forward to more.

Cadmus

Thanks Cadmus! That's very kind. I'd love to hear what you'd like to see me do.

Archived