The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Bareheaded-raised-Powerfist-stare-straight-ahead guy and sideways bolter-and-powerfist guy, those are classic classics, like early 1990s classics, if you get my meaning; the other two are latecomers, mere pretenders to classicdom.

Edit; spelling. Kids rising obscenely early makes for zombie dads.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for giving me your two cents. Across Facebook, Instagram and here I have reached a decision...

gallery_29868_4100_501826.jpg

Now this is a very early stage wip, with plenty of sculpting that needs doing, so be gentle! Additionally, the legs aren't quite right; legs planted rather than slight movement in the knees, so I will see if swapping legs out will help!

What do you think though, good start?

Out of the options presented, I would vote for option 4. But I've always loved this guy: gallery_87021_11145_8851.jpeg

He was a limited edition captain when 3rd edition was first released.....

Either that or this chap:gallery_87021_11145_6115.jpeg

Perhaps that's what you intend to use those new bits on?

Incidentally, which kit are they from?

Cadmus

The Templar chap does look pretty cool but he's never really appealed to me. He is an option down the line though! ;)

Funnily enough, I saved an image for that specific techmarine a few weeks ago. It's really stood the test of time and I think I need to wait for some very specific parts before I start so I can do him due honour!

As for the little tamagotchi jobbies, they're from the Ravenwing command sprue. I used one on a XIIIth Legion Primus Medicae a short while ago and I think it's suitable retro in design for this project!

Option 2, always loved the helmetless vet with power fist.

I hope you like this post then!

I have to go for option 2 too, the scarred face is just too badass!

Like above, I hope you enjoy this post! ;)

Yeah. That latest redux is fantastic!

Personally, for the next one I would love to see that sword drawn captain.

He seems an extremely popular option which I think may be next in line after scarface!

YES to the Templar captain!!!!! That axe/bolter/tabard/rebreather look is the bomb!!

Like I said above, it's never REALLY jumped out at me, but he is certainly an option for down the line!

Bareheaded-raised-Powerfist-stare-straight-ahead guy and sideways bolter-and-powerfist guy, those are classic classics, like early 1990s classics, if you get my meaning; the other two are latecomers, mere pretenders to classicdom.

Edit; spelling. Kids rising obscenely early makes for zombie dads.

Lol, I'll ignore your error sir! You are raising the next generation of administratum adepts/rogue traders/Imperial troopers!

I understand that I'm bending the definition of 'classic' here a little, but those later models, especially the scarred dude showed such an improvement in poses/detail and dynamism and thus HAVE to be done! I hope you'll forgive my Heresy! ;)

Love your work!  I plan on using that chain-mail tutorial, and your capes look great!  I am planning on making a few of my own soon, I'll try your method.

The classics you are redoing are looking amazing!

Hey guys,

Had a pretty busy week, but still managed to work on good ol' 'Scarface'.

I swapped the legs to a closer match of the original, and the body of the work went into the legs, tabbard (still a teensy bit of work to do) and the head.

I'm delighted with how the head/scars/bionics turned out, but I need to add a little more detail to the neck seal I think...

I think for the time being I will lay off the next whilst I; a) Wait for more parts from Blighty and b) finish off some commissions.

As ever, very keen to hear feedback from you guys!

gallery_29868_4100_379009.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_624140.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_195237.jpg

Love your work! I plan on using that chain-mail tutorial, and your capes look great! I am planning on making a few of my own soon, I'll try your method.

The classics you are redoing are looking amazing!

Thanks fella! Let me know if you ever need some assistance. Otherwise, looking forward to seeing how your attempts turn out :)

Great kitbash, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Here you go! Hope you aren't disappointed ;)

That is looking great so far, looking forward to seeing his facial scars!

He's been through the wars, this one! :P

All the finite detailing you put in your models never fail to amaze me. That head is brilliant, with both the scars and bionics. I think adding two purity seals to the belt like the original could look nice. Looking forward to seeing your next model!

Turning the awful tribune head into an awesomely brutal yet expressive face is masterful. Personally I'd like a few details on the armour, maybe laurels a scroll or some filigree just to make him look a tad more veteran.

That said, it's certainly captured the essence of the original, the scars are superb and change of legs really hit the spot.

Looks like you need to pull out something special for the next one!

Looks great! Lucky you, getting to paint it and all :P Again, great conversion, very similar to the original.

Paint?! You're joking, right? ;)

Srsly though, when I've sorted myself out in London that will be my first port of call!

Glad you like the conversion :)

All the finite detailing you put in your models never fail to amaze me. That head is brilliant, with both the scars and bionics. I think adding two purity seals to the belt like the original could look nice. Looking forward to seeing your next model!

Thanks man, I'm very happy with how the head turned out!

I'll have to see how purity seals will look on the belt. I think that might be what it's missing to really make it look more similar to the original.

The next model should be a treat :)

Turning the awful tribune head into an awesomely brutal yet expressive face is masterful. Personally I'd like a few details on the armour, maybe laurels a scroll or some filigree just to make him look a tad more veteran.

That said, it's certainly captured the essence of the original, the scars are superb and change of legs really hit the spot.

Looks like you need to pull out something special for the next one!

I think I'll take your advice and add some seals on his belt.

As for the next, you shouldn't be disappointed! ;)

Hey guys,

After a frustrating evening having problems with the B&C photo hosting service (on both my phone and tablet), I was eventually able to get a URL with the help of Lord Commander Eidolon. Top chap.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing troubles getting URLs and codes?

Anywho, I have had this idea in my head for a little while, and decided to act upon it this week; a Heresy remake of Tyrannic war vet.

Still a ways to go, really just sorting the pose, but I think he's good for sculpting :)

I need to sort the scar, seals, legs, left hand, strap and chest detailing. I'm also tempted to sculpt the Ultima on the armour and sneak this chap into my XIIIth Legion force!

http://i67.tinypic.com/303hdky.jpg

As ever C&C welcome!

Great composition, its got balance, and my favourite wargear, I think I recognizing the 40k veteran model 30k conversion

edit: and I'm displaying my ignorance having not read the prev page!

That's the one! I'm glad you like him dude, he was always a favourite model of mine.

Hey guys,

Been tinkering away and got the tyrannic war vet sgt done!

Wanted to leave the armour unadorned so he could suit any Legion, and if I use him personally I will apply battle damage to the armour!

The scars and straps were a learning curve, and I hope I'm correct in saying I've captured the feel of the original ok?!

Not sure what to do next... Tbh I have some 'grand projects' that need doing, one of which you should keep your EYE peeled for...! ;)

Anyhow, C&C welcome as usual.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2lw83kp.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/noj8na.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/25p7950.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2z6axap.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2hwfgac.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2z8p4bc.jpg

Wow great posing, looks just like the original. Are you going to add a dead tyranid to the base?

Glad you like Vairocanum! As I want to use him in a HH setting there will be no xenomorphs I'm afraid!

Excellent stuff! I love the Tyrannical War vets, I'm determined to perfect them into the Third!

Looking forward do seeing you gouge all hell out if the armour!!

Sorry to disappoint but I didn't feel confident enough to wreck the armour! Soon though!

Oh boy! You're doing the old tyranid wars vet??? Yaaaaay

One down, perhaps more to go?! ;)

Hopefully more to go. Anyways, how did you do the straps? They look really good.

Thanks GrandMagnus! Glad you like them.

First I rolled out some greenstuff onto a plate/tile and used a colour shaper to first press it onto the surface, then using the shaper, this time covered with vaseline I smoothed the putty into a ribbon shaped piece and waited about 5/6 hours for it to cure, then cut it to desired shape with a fresh scalpel blade.

Hope this helps!

Awesome! That Tyrranic war veteran is one of my favorite GW models, so happy to see it remade!

I'm really happy you like it! I hope to be as accurate as possible within the self imposed parameters as possible!

Impressive work.

My thanks Bjorn! :)

Loving these updated classics. You're knocking each one out of the park.

I think you should deviate from just models and try basing some of your next work off of the more famous Space Marine artwork.

In keeping with the current theme, Tom Cruise the Tyrannic War Vet says hi. :P

You're much to kind, sir!

That's definately an idea for future projects. For now, I have some commissions to finish up and then maybe a primarch or two to work on... ;)

Hey guys,

I am off to Hong Kong tomorrow for a few days to renew my visa so will leave you one of my bigger projects.

I actually started working on this when I arrived in China but kinda lost steam and have been working in fits and starts.

Really there is not much to do; joint seals, pturges, cabling, fur and his base (also waiting for a well cast Worldbreaker to replace this proxy), so was hoping by sharing him on here I could summon the final motivation to finish him once and for all!

Incidentally a friend a home will be working on a couple of bases for him so ignore the very plain, poor built one he's currently standing on!

http://i68.tinypic.com/xnzs5w.jpg

Additionally his claw was also a horrible cast, so I rebuilt that from the bare basics.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2qnmnvc.jpg

Really keen to heat what you guys think!

Wow that looks fantastic as usual, facial scars are are great as well! Looking forward to seeing more primarchs as your versions tend to look better thought out than the original models :D

Your wish is my command! :D

Archived