The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Love the Contemptor repose, but I do have a question... do you intend to do anything to represent it as a Cortus Contemptor? I think this is more of a general issue with the community, but the Cortus is described as faster and kind of cobbled together with the chance of getting buffs to it's stats at the sacrifice of durability and reliability and most just use a dead stock Contemptor. I'm honestly curious if and what you'll do to represent that.

The pose on the Contemptor is looking very promising! Markus_ has made some amazing tweaks to the BaC plastic Contemptor to make him look more like the Forgeworld DG one -- maybe his work can work as additional inspiration for you when you continue this conversion?

Thanks! I think I want to 'straighten' the torso alignment a little so he doesn't look so likely to topple forwards!

Markus has done some phenomenal work on his XIVth Legion. Truly inspirational. I'll definately have a look through to see if his work can stoke my creative flame!

Excellent repose on the Dread! Seeing him marching down some steps should send loyalist cuts running! Speaking of which take planets of pictures of such instances when you get a game in!

Two things I would have loved to play is HH and ZM! That’s just a great combo.

Thanks dude! I'll definately take plenty of snaps next game I play!

ZM was the whole reason I started this force so it'll be nice to finally fulfil that goal!

Love the Contemptor repose, but I do have a question... do you intend to do anything to represent it as a Cortus Contemptor? I think this is more of a general issue with the community, but the Cortus is described as faster and kind of cobbled together with the chance of getting buffs to it's stats at the sacrifice of durability and reliability and most just use a dead stock Contemptor. I'm honestly curious if and what you'll do to represent that.

I'm almost half tempted to justify its stats through fluff rather than canon, but we will see where we end up!

I'll be adding rivets to the shoulders, chest and lower legs (might miss the chest to break it up a little), and I'll remove the groin and knee derailing to bring it 'back to basics' a little.

I'm also super tempted to add some curved 'maintenance' style bars on the top of the torso, to show how ready this guy is to leave the shop and come back again after a battle.

I expect there still might be something missing when all these are done, but I'll look into that when the time comes. Perhaps some chains or trophies?

Fantastic work on the Contemptor! Such a terrible mini but you've made it work perfectly :tu:

Thanks fella! Just need to get it looking truly unique!

The Contemptor's looking really promising. I'd be in two minds about correcting the cant of the torso. On the one hand, you'll counterbalance him; but on the other, that'll lose a lot of the dynamic. At the moment, with left foot and left arm forwards, there's a sense of immediacy and strain.

Either way, I'm sure you'll make him look champion :smile.:

If you're looking for ideas for trophies, perhaps an hourglass motif? Having one (or a few) on ropes/chains would make a great visual, and help sell the idea of movement.

I'm almost half tempted to justify its stats through fluff rather than canon, but we will see where we end up!

I'll be adding rivets to the shoulders, chest and lower legs (might miss the chest to break it up a little), and I'll remove the groin and knee derailing to bring it 'back to basics' a little.

I'm also super tempted to add some curved 'maintenance' style bars on the top of the torso, to show how ready this guy is to leave the shop and come back again after a battle.

I expect there still might be something missing when all these are done, but I'll look into that when the time comes. Perhaps some chains or trophies?

Well if anyone can pull it off, it's you. Perhaps have some cabling exposed or the limbs stripped down if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'd even say look into the Domitar limbs to see if pieces could be cobbled together to make something more patchwork and "it's not complete but send it out anyhow". 

Morning all,

Made some pretty big changes to the initial concept, including the thighs taken from the sentinel kit (still pistons and cables to add!), the exhaust stacks, also from the sentinel kit (need to bulk out the reactor). I also received the DG contemptor head, courtesy of @warhammer.trials on Instagram, whom this beast will be named after, and followed the recommendation of @willturnthetide on Instagram to have the dread climbing the stairs instead of descending, which I'm sure you'll agree looks MUCH better!

Yet to do; add bonding studs to lower legs and shoulders, add 'maintenance rails' to the top of the torso, enhance reactor, clean up and add rivets to horizontal improvised armour, finish legs, add loose cabling around waist (see Iron Hands contemptor), smooth down gap filling and finally finish base!

Phew! I'm sure you'll agree that's a fair bit of work, but I'm super happy that I decided to make some major changes on the original!

http://i68.tinypic.com/6rtyeh.jpg

The Contemptor's looking really promising. I'd be in two minds about correcting the cant of the torso. On the one hand, you'll counterbalance him; but on the other, that'll lose a lot of the dynamic. At the moment, with left foot and left arm forwards, there's a sense of immediacy and strain.

Either way, I'm sure you'll make him look champion :)

If you're looking for ideas for trophies, perhaps an hourglass motif? Having one (or a few) on ropes/chains would make a great visual, and help sell the idea of movement.

I might add some details at the end, but for now I'm just trying to keep this project on the tracks! Apparently everyone has an opinion on the Cortus! Argh!

As for the cant, I'm sure you agree he looks much better ascending rather than descending the steps!

Well if anyone can pull it off, it's you. Perhaps have some cabling exposed or the limbs stripped down if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'd even say look into the Domitar limbs to see if pieces could be cobbled together to make something more patchwork and "it's not complete but send it out anyhow".

I hope you like the changes I made. As you can see there is still plenty more to do, so I hope I can stay focused and please enough people with the final result!

OHHH, I like the changes! How do the legs look from the side with the sentinel bits? I bought an extra set of regular dreadnought legs to cut up and use to repose the plastic contemptor. Mine didn't come out clean so I am always looking for ideas to steal.

Evening all!

Had a bit of time today to refine the torso of the Cortus and I'm really happy that it seems to be coming along nicely.

Yet to add a load of cables and pistons and once that's sorted to see if it needs anything else to finish it off!

C&C welcome.

http://i66.tinypic.com/28007s1.jpg

Death to the False Emperor!

I like it a lot! It definitely gives a "stripped down" feel so far and I'm sure the end result will be spectacular, as usual.

Many thanks dude! I hope you like the latest additions!

I’ve been following your work on Facebook and Instagram, got to say it’s amazing. Your keeping my interest in Space Marines alive.

That's very kind of you to say! Delighted you like my offerings!

OHHH, I like the changes! How do the legs look from the side with the sentinel bits? I bought an extra set of regular dreadnought legs to cut up and use to repose the plastic contemptor. Mine didn't come out clean so I am always looking for ideas to steal.

I must say, I was very tempted by the regular dread but decided on the sentinel ones in the end.

Legs look a little slim still but yet to add so will wait to see how they turn out!

That contemptor repose is looking great!

Thanks buddy! ☺

I'm not particularly keen on the Cortus as it currently stands but I'm sure the extra work that needs doing and a slap of paint will add the necessary improvements. :tu:

I hope the latest update changes your mind!

I'm sure the cabling and additional details will get it looking a little more 'Cortus'!

Morning all,

Managed to get a little more done to the Cortus yesterday so I thought I'd share some progress pics!

Added ports to the back of the legs for the cabling I will be starting today, and am awaiting some plastic rod I ordered to sort the pistons.

Otherwise it's just some external cabling on the fist arm, reworking the fist flamer, adding cabling to the reactor, and then again between the torso and arms and then under the torso and I think hell be done!

Might add some spent shell casings to the floor too!

http://i65.tinypic.com/ka0kyo.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2cois0o.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/fngyoo.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/eqrxi8.jpg

C&C welcome!

Coming on really nicely, as I mentioned on Insta, all the modifications you're making are really setting it apart as its own unit.

Thanks fella! I must ask, do you prefer my content as it appears on Instagram or in the form of this hobby blog?

One of your best yet! Really getting the stripped down vibe from it, keen to see how it progresses! No mean feat making the crap-temptor look good!

That's very kind of you to say! I realised that I couldn't half arse this project quite early on so saved it from looking 'meh' I hope!

Oh man. I like the handle bars. Really like that and now want some too. The added rivers are also looking really proper!

Cheers dude! I was worried people would 'poo-poo' the handlebar idea but it seems to have gone down nicely!

The Contemptor's reinforced gorget looks cool.

Thanks man! Was a little worried it wouldn't end up as planned but with the levelling off and added rivets I think it works!

Yeah, those "handles" at the top are pretty great. Taking notes here, chief! :tu:

Hehe, cheers man!   

Hey Capt., just dropping by to say everything looks awesome as always, and if you're looking for some reference for the Contemptor Cortus, here's a pretty good pic of the upcoming model courtesy of https://recalcitrantdaze.blogspot.co.uk/

P1320325%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

Ah nice! I hadn't seen such great images of this before! Some similarities between them already!

Hotdamn that's a schmexy mini!

Thanks man! You know how to make a Cortus feel appreciated!

That looks righteous. I want to get another one of these plastic monsters and do the sentinel leg route. That looks good and nice that it fits into the joint. The new upgrades also look great and I am excited to see more work done.

And you just can't beat some cool handle bars. They'll probably come in handy once the occupant goes insane and they need points to add chains and restrain that chassis.

Hey gang!

I spent some time yesterday working on the legs, adding pistons (WiP) and cabling. I also added assault cannon shell casings to the base.

On the final stretch now - need to add cabling between the arms and the torso (I'm thinking fine guitar/copper wire should do the trick!) and I'm awaiting another Leviathan CC arm cable so I can sort the power fist arm.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else might be required? Any ideas?

Either way, here are some pics for you chaps!

http://i64.tinypic.com/z4xza.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/s5dcoj.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2qjiv0k.jpg

great work on this mini ... really coming along nicely

Thanks buddy! I hope you like the latest work!

The extra work has changed my mind completely. Fantastic. :tu:

Great! I hope I don't change it back between now and completion!

That looks righteous. I want to get another one of these plastic monsters and do the sentinel leg route. That looks good and nice that it fits into the joint. The new upgrades also look great and I am excited to see more work done.

And you just can't beat some cool handle bars. They'll probably come in handy once the occupant goes insane and they need points to add chains and restrain that chassis.

I hadn't thought of the 'krazy kontemptor' outcome! Very likely! I would like to add chains but I'm not sure where to put them or if it would make him too busy!

Archived